Common sense in the twlight zone

This is a discussion on Common sense in the twlight zone within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Obama picks felon as CT gun control advocacy 'character witness' Read more: Blog: Obama picks felon as CT gun control advocacy 'character witness' Follow us: ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By PEF
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Common sense in the twlight zone

Common sense in the twlight zone

Obama picks felon as CT gun control advocacy 'character witness'

Read more: Blog: Obama picks felon as CT gun control advocacy 'character witness'
    Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    There are several reasons NOT to get caught up in this.

First, the argument that lawbreakers don't obey laws is based on fact. The additional fact that the parent has done the same does not strengthen the argument.

Second, the parent is a sympathetic figure. There is nothing to be gained be making him a focal point. Obama is attempting to persuade by emotion, which is a powerful logical fallacy. Let the other side rely on fallacies. Putting the parent "through the ringer" so to speak will only make 2A supporters looked calloused, and will not sway any one person's opinion.

Third, the fact that he broke one law does not mean that his advocacy for another should be discounted. To illustrate, let's say he was advocating the death penalty for violent crimes and you support the death penalty. Would you discount his argument because he is proof that punishment for law breaking is not a deterrent?

I've seen this several times now, and it's a non-issue in the debate. If we choose to be intellectually lazy and engage it, we only lose.
    Brad426, Dougb, Kennydale and 1 others like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

The part that gets me about this hypocracy. If Bush had a spokesperson with a dubious background, the LEFT would not never let up. But again we let every warning sign about BARRY, just slip on by. But I also agree with PEF, you need to chose your battles better.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I think you've dishonored Rod Serling with that reference. At least his work was well written and believeable.
    noway2 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Pef I agree with your well spoken reply thanks. my heart breaks for the loss this man has suffered. The article was about present and future background checks. Rod Serling could start a whole new series based on whats going on in the world today
    Last edited by Arejay; May 12th, 2013 at 03:55 PM. Reason: left out a word

Links