Wear "the mark of the beast" and shoot your gun

This is a discussion on Wear "the mark of the beast" and shoot your gun within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A "new" way to limit the firing of a weapon... wear an RFID chip in a ring or a bracelet... your firearm(s) is(are) coded to ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Wear "the mark of the beast" and shoot your gun

Wear "the mark of the beast" and shoot your gun

A "new" way to limit the firing of a weapon... wear an RFID chip in a ring or a bracelet... your firearm(s) is(are) coded to that RFID chip... only you can shoot the gun...

Coming soon to a Congressional bill for you: Story here
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

2. Remove Ads

Once this has been used by police departments for a few years without incident I will be all for it. Until then I can't trust my life to it.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I give it 48 hours and it's hacked and made useless.
    squid86, bigmacque and Taurahe like this.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Not me. It defeats the purpose of carrying a back-up gun, which isn't to back up my primary, but to hand off to a friend if need be. Besides, I can think of no way to implement such a system that would not be defeated very simply by removing it from the gun manually during a full take-down of the weapon, unless you plan to go to a "trigger-by-wire" system that uses an electronic trigger mechanism.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Politicians should be made to wear a ring that only allows them to speak the truth...or it "zaps 'em".
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I will get one a year after Congressman Tierney bodyguards start using them!
    msgt/ret and Brad426 like this.

VIP Member
    It is not as bad as registration, but it still stinks. First of all, it won't address the millions of extant firearms unless they are sold 3 or more years after the law is passed. Secondly, as mentioned above, there are times when tossing a weapon to a spouse or friend may be very helpful - not if this bill gets passed and thirdly, most people who have multiple guns will store the ring/bracelet with the gun to which it goes - this obviates the purpose of the law.

So, in the end, this is a waste of money for a feel good, but useless bill. I say no.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Then Hillary can come up with a few more safety features and then we'll all be free of bad guys using guns to do bad things, and the poor bad guys wont have to go to jail anymore.

RFID. If it ever becomes the only method of activating a firearm, imagine such a thing being disabled simply by driving by. *Zip*, and one is effectively disarmed (but doesn't know it).

The RFID Hacking Underground @ Wired.com.

In the end, this is little different than UBC's or any other penalize-all-citizens type of scheme. It'll criminalize citizens who fail to toe the line, and criminals will simply sidestep such edicts to acquire "the good stuff." To say nothing of essentially, then, forcing families to have personal, private firearms for each and every member of the family because firearm X won't work with person Y. In the heat of a violent attack, that's a baaaaaaad situation to be in.

Myself? Pass. I'll take the standard, un-hackable model, thank you kindly. Call me "old school," call me "old fashioned." Just call me armed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    The other, massive drawback to this that I've not seen mentioned, is that wearing something as overt as a ring or bracelet that would be openly known to be for a firearm, is basically a Scarlet Letter for every concealed carry person and UC officer in the US, marking them as having a weapon.

Rather defeats the purpose of concealed carry, doesn't it?
    rammerjammer likes this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    The other, massive drawback to this that I've not seen mentioned, is that wearing something as overt as a ring or bracelet that would be openly known to be for a firearm, is basically a Scarlet Letter for every concealed carry person and UC officer in the US, marking them as having a weapon.

I'm sure it'll be something in the pocket, sort of like those windshield-mounted "toll booth" thingies everyone uses in major metros that have such toll highways. Won't need to advertise. Of course, misplacing one would be as simple as a hole in the pocket, effectively rendering the person disarmed (though not knowing it until it was too late).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post

Oh no, this won't be a problem. If you're in a CC state, you'll be required to wear gloves, too!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

We gonna do this to knives, baseball bats, hammers, pressure cookers, etc. also?
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I see how this could be monitored by the Gubmint just like the house arrest bracelet.

The bill holds gun makers liable if they fail to make handguns that meet the government safety standard two years after the bill passes.
    Please define "government safety standard".

I say, no thank you.
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

On the "practical" side of this... an rfid chip can fit under most rings. in a necklace, in a bracelet... Rfid chips are what they put in chipped dogs and cats... small enough to pass through a rather large syringe and be injected under the skin... So, practically, you don't all have to have the same "secret decoder ring..." that would be like the "scarlet letter." You could even probably choose to have it injected under your skin.. .and all your firearms coded to it..

On the impractical side... it can be hacked... it is useless...

And in the COMPLETELY, EXTREMELY, TOTALLY NON-EXISTENT, RARE incident in which you would have to give your back up gun to your buddy or some other potential victim... because you were being attacked by a hoard of gun toting zombies... they could only use it to club off an assailant. So, you would have to strip off your clothes and give said buddy your body armor if you wanted to protect them... from gunfire... the zombies would eat him anyway.

Sheesh.

I say this knowing full well that I have an entire arsenal of 20 long arms in my car trunk... you know, just in case I find a whole group of people who are resisting the evil government but don't have the necessary arms to protect themselves and their God given right to keep and bear arms... against the GESTAPO GOVERNMENT.

(p.s. I don't drive a car.)

(/SNARKASM)
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links