The myth of declining gun ownership

This is a discussion on The myth of declining gun ownership within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ‘Waning gun culture’ in U.S. may be myth A well-known firearms researcher punched a pinhole in what may be one of the biggest myths being ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: The myth of declining gun ownership

The myth of declining gun ownership

‘Waning gun culture’ in U.S. may be myth

A well-known firearms researcher punched a pinhole in what may be one of the biggest myths being propagated by the gun prohibition lobby and repeated by the mainstream press when he noted today that the news media “ignore their own reports” that show gun ownership is increasing.

?Waning gun culture? in U.S. may be myth - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

If you don't know Nemerov, you should. He does numbers and he is annoyingly good at it

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The anti-gun movement seldom, if ever supports its position with verifiable facts. This myth is no exception.
    84160 and sensei2 like this.

The truth is not in them.

The authors of the report also note this...they do not say it is an absolute as suggested:
    A clear societal change took place regarding gun ownership in the early 1990s, when the percentage of Americans saying there was a gun in their home or on their property dropped from the low to mid-50s into the low to mid-40s and remained at that level for the next 15 years. Whether this reflected a true decline in gun ownership or a cultural shift in Americans' willingness to say they had guns is unclear. However, the new data suggest that attitudes may again be changing. At 47%, reported gun ownership is the highest it has been in nearly two decades -- a finding that may be related to Americans' dampened support for gun-control laws. However, to ensure that this year's increase reflects a meaningful rebound in reported gun ownership, it will be important to see whether the uptick continues in future polling.
    There are no absolutes with stats and polls........I do agree ownership is up, but the numbers may or may not be accurate according to the pollsters.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Well I know gun ownership is way up at the indoor range I shoot at.

More and more middle age couples are coming in to purchase handguns. Basic firearm and CCW classes are full months out, as are tactical rifle classes.

They are adding at least 10 more shooting lanes and have some 300 + on waiting list for memberships...

The declining gun ownership is a myth for sure out here, even with or maybe in-spite of the new Colorado laws
    "A nation under a well regulated government, should permit none to remain uninstructed. It is monarchical and aristocratical government only that requires ignorance for its support." --Thomas Paine, Rights of Man, 1792

Excellent article. I really enjoy when people point out the facts.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Of course gun ownership is down people keep losing them in boating accidents

Hmmm. Trying to be objective, and from my own experience. I wonder how many people are getting caught up in hype and thus causes the gun ownership increases. For instance, I have some freinds who have gotten firearms not that want them or beleive in them; but because they feel they NEED it "cause all the other people have guns so we need them too!!"

I hope they dont reverberate many of the new gun ownership reasons but, I do wonder if others are doing CUZ, all the other people are doing it so I should too. before it gets banned or some other crazy reason. I have a brother looking into a shotgun "to get one cuz someday you just wont be able too" not a hunter, not a sports enthusiest, just thinking of getting CUZ......not too concerned with home protection.

Im just throwing that out there and am wonder what others have experienced think. I bit of a thoughtful conversation atleast.
    Please...work HARDER as MILLIONS on welfare depending on YOU !!

The poll assumes people will admit to having a gun.
    sensei2, msgt/ret, OldVet and 2 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Moderator
    Any one with half a wit can see that gun ownership has gone up quite a bit in the last several years.

My... how times change.

Back when I was growing up, you didn't "admit" to owning a gun, you had to "admit" to not having one and it put YOU in the minority.

Back then, no one was afraid of the Government getting stupid and acting like a bunch of third world cartel members where scandals and lack of common sense runs rampant, where it is the rule rather than the exception.

Gun ownership never has declined except in the minds of wishful thinking liberals. What has declined is respect for the Government and those that are paying attention don't trust them to be able to pour piss out of a boot without sloshing it all over themselves.
    oneshot likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Whatever decline there may have been has surely been erased since early December.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Any one with half a wit can see that gun ownership has gone up quite a bit in the last several years.
    Is "half" a wit more or less than a "nit" wit?
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I've never been polled - about anything - but if I were, I wouldn't "admit" to owning a firearm.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock2201 View Post
    Of course gun ownership is down people keep losing them in boating accidents
    We need to ban boats.

When will the senseless slaughter of our guns stop? Enough is enough!

Seriously though.

The only way for gun ownership to decline is for guns to be destroyed faster than they are being produced. And with every gun mfg. running at full swing, I don't see that as being likely...

All I can say is that here in my area (West Virginia) the gun shops are cleaned out of about everything. Pistols, Rifles, and ammunition. I like to never found a pistol to replace my stolen one, looked for two weeks after getting a bit of insurance money and found the one depicted in my Avatar.

If gun sales are down or lower than they have been in the past, these knuckleheads who keep saying ownership and sales are down need to come and do some research and "statistics" in the places I have been. There is NO decline of sales and ownership, many I've seen in gun shops are 1st time owners as well. They are "getting it" that we need to be armed because of what is going on in America these days. I would be easier to find out the number of non-gun owners.

You bet declining gun ownership is a myth, a very, very big one at that. I'd believe Unicorns exist before I'd belive in declining gun ownership.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links