Facebook "insisting" I see the Demand Action ad against Senator Ayotte

This is a discussion on Facebook "insisting" I see the Demand Action ad against Senator Ayotte within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; An ad from a group calling themselves Demand Action is running anti-Ayotte ads on Facebook. Its their right to free speech, but I still think ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Facebook "insisting" I see the Demand Action ad against Senator Ayotte

Facebook "insisting" I see the Demand Action ad against Senator Ayotte

An ad from a group calling themselves Demand Action is running anti-Ayotte ads on Facebook. Its their right to free speech, but I still think the blitz against her specifically is BS at best. I've tried hiding the ad, reporting it as against my views, etc, and it still kept popping up in my Facebook news feed. I've never had an ad do that before... makes you wonder about Facebook's agenda, especially given the number of other pro-gun Facebook pages that have been complaining about issues.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
    An ad from a group calling themselves Demand Action is running anti-Ayotte ads on Facebook. Its their right to free speech, but I still think the blitz against her specifically is BS at best. I've tried hiding the ad, reporting it as against my views, etc, and it still kept popping up in my Facebook news feed. I've never had an ad do that before... makes you wonder about Facebook's agenda, especially given the number of other pro-gun Facebook pages that have been complaining about issues.
    This group is being funded by Bloomburg. There spending millions of dollars on adds in certain states. The best thing you can do is for you and all your friends to call her office. Thank her for her votes on the gun controll bills that failed in the Senate. Spread the word. They realy do appreciate the thanks when they get them.

VIP Member
    Facebook has inserted so much crap in their pages it is nearly useless.
    Jeanlouise and 10thmtn like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
    I've tried hiding the ad, reporting it as against my views, etc, and it still kept popping up in my Facebook news feed. I've never had an ad do that before...
    to block them, do the following: get the URL for the ad, which is probably demandaction dot org, so unless you have one more specific use this. What you need to do is add the entry to you 'hosts' file with the address of 127.0.0.1. In windows, it should be in /windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts. Then using notebook add entries like the following:
    Code:
    127.0.0.1 www.demandaction.org
    127.0.0.1 demandaction.org
    You will probably need to restart (everything in Windows requires a restart). The trick work this way. When you go to a page, e.g. google.com, the name google.com is 'resolved' into a numerical address that is used to direct the traffic from your PC to the target location. The names are resolved multiple ways, the most common being your ISP's DNS server, and the ways are checked in a hierarchical order, with the hosts file being a priority. The address 127.0.0.1 is a short circuit address that refers to your PC's network card only. Hence, when a request is made for demandaction.org, it gets redirected into a black hole instead of pulling up the ad.

See this wikipedia page for information like the location of the hosts file in various versions of windows. Note you will need admin privilege to modify it.
    QKShooter, TVJ, dling and 2 others like this.

Distinguished Member
    Just another positive to not having facebook.
    TVJ and OldVet like this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    to block them, do the following: get the URL for the ad, which is probably demandaction dot org, so unless you have one more specific use this. What you need to do is add the entry to you 'hosts' file with the address of 127.0.0.1. In windows, it should be in /windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts. Then using notebook add entries like the following:
    Code:
    127.0.0.1 www.demandaction.org
    127.0.0.1 demandaction.org
    You will probably need to restart (everything in Windows requires a restart). The trick work this way. When you go to a page, e.g. google.com, the name google.com is 'resolved' into a numerical address that is used to direct the traffic from your PC to the target location. The names are resolved multiple ways, the most common being your ISP's DNS server, and the ways are checked in a hierarchical order, with the hosts file being a priority. The address 127.0.0.1 is a short circuit address that refers to your PC's network card only. Hence, when a request is made for demandaction.org, it gets redirected into a black hole instead of pulling up the ad.

See this wikipedia page for information like the location of the hosts file in various versions of windows. Note you will need admin privilege to modify it.
    I wished you lived next door to me.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I wished you lived next door to me.
    Same here.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Facebook has inserted so much crap in their pages it is nearly useless.
    Facebook has a use?

I though it was just an excuse for some folks to waste time at work.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Facebook has a use?

I though it was just an excuse for some folks to waste time at work.
    Facebook has many uses. It is a tool and if you know how to use it, it won't be dangerous or hurt you...just like a gun. But of course, I do not advocate mandatory training LOL! I never have any of the problems folks keep complaining about. And yes, Facebook is a good medium to get information out quickly to people that you want. It is also a good way to get feedback from a group in an efficient manner. I am sure folks that complain aboout FB would have complained about the horseless carriage and the telephone..........

Anyhoo, on topic. Ayotte should be fine. NH is a small state and if there was a stat on FB users per capita...I think NH would be at the bottom
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I keep my FB info to an absolute minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Facebook is useless.
    Fixed it for you

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I don't use FB, but can't your use something like AdBlock to keep the ads from loading?
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    There's nothing wrong with Facebook. The problem is the idiots using it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I recently read an article that liking things or clicking items on friends pages can insert ad engines on your page. Be careful what you like on FB.
    I refuse to have a FB page.

How Facebook Is Using You to Annoy Your Friends (and How to Stop It)
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    I recently read an article that liking things or clicking items on friends pages can insert ad engines on your page. Be careful what you like on FB. I refuse to have a FB page.
    AOL, FB, Yahoo, Google ... they've all done it. Altering ads via behaviors online is big, big business.

Low impact with as few footprints as possible is good. Works on the trail, and works online. I just wish it could work better, 'cause without a lot of tricks behind the scenes there is no real way to sidestep it all.

Ah, technology. Edward R. Murrow (from his famous 1958 speech) had the right of it:

This instrument can teach, it can illuminate; yes, and it can even inspire. But it can do so only to the extent that humans are determined to use it to those ends. Otherwise it is merely wires and lights in a box. There is a great and perhaps decisive battle to be fought against ignorance, intolerance and indifference. This weapon of television could be useful.

Stonewall Jackson, who knew something about the use of weapons, is reported to have said, "When war comes, you must draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." The trouble with television is that it is rusting in the scabbard during a battle for survival.

IMO, these online-invasive-tracking tools are such "scabbards" needing to be tossed, in favor of the blades themselves. First step to avoiding our use of such tools getting the better of us is to become aware that in our unwitting apathy they're getting the better of us. But that's just me.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links