D.C. man won’t face gun charges for shooting pit bull attacking boy. WTPH?

This is a discussion on D.C. man won’t face gun charges for shooting pit bull attacking boy. WTPH? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; D.C. man won’t face gun charges for shooting pit bull attacking boy Save a life with a gun and you are a criminal! By Andrea ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: D.C. man won’t face gun charges for shooting pit bull attacking boy. WTPH?

Thumbs down D.C. man won’t face gun charges for shooting pit bull attacking boy. WTPH?

D.C. man won’t face gun charges for shooting pit bull attacking boy

Save a life with a gun and you are a criminal!

By Andrea Noble

The Washington Times

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Authorities last week made an agreement not to prosecute a Northwest D.C. man who used his unregistered handgun to kill a pit bull in order to stop it from mauling a child in his neighborhood.

As part of the agreement, Benjamin Srigley, 39, was required to pay a $1,000 fine but will not have criminal charges filed against him for the three unregistered firearms and the ammunition that investigators found in his possession, said Ted Gest, a spokesman for the office of the attorney general.

SEE RELATED: MILLER: D.C. mayor was in on David Gregory coverup in Part III of investigation

“We took it into account that he saved this boy’s life,” Mr. Gest said.

Possession of an unregistered firearm or ammunition in the District is punishable by up to a year in jail and a $1,000 fine, and prosecutors said Mr. Srigley could have faced up to seven criminal charges in the case.

“In our recent memory this is a unique charge because of the unusual circumstances of this case,” said Mr. Gest, whose office generally prosecutes low-level crime in the District.

The horrific incident that spawned the investigation occurred on a Sunday afternoon in late January as 11-year-old Jayeon Simon and his friend rode bicycles near Eighth and Sheridan streets Northwest in the Brightwood neighborhood. According to court records filed in D.C. Superior Court, three unleashed pit bulls pounced on Jayeon and attacked him.

Seeing the attack, Mr. Srigley went inside his home to get his Ruger 9 mm pistol while several other men hopped over fences to get away from the dogs, court records state.

From behind the wooden fence of his front lawn, Mr. Srigley began firing at the dogs. His shots attracted the attention of a Metropolitan Police Department officer on bicycle patrol nearby, and he also opened fire on the dogs, killing the other two.

The boy survived the attack but now bears scars on his elbow, torso and leg as a reminder.

Jayeon’s family is thankful for Mr. Srigley, crediting him for saving the boy’s life.

“I don’t think he should be charged at all because it’s an act of heroism,” said Chris Speight, 45, a cousin who helps care for Jayeon.

In addition to deciding how to handle Mr. Srigley’s case last week, authorities also made the decision to press charges against the dogs’ owner, Alan Paige.

Mr. Paige, who lives a block north of the corner where the attack occurred, will face nine criminal charges — including three counts of possession of a dangerous dog, three counts of having an unleashed dog, and three counts of allowing a dog to go without a collar. The charges account for each of the three dogs, Mr. Gest said.

Mr. Paige could not be reached at his home Friday for comment. A hearing is scheduled in June for his case.

Answering the door at his home, a duplex with a stone facade and well-manicured yard, Mr. Srigley held his own dog back from his front door and declined Friday to comment on the case because it is still technically pending in court. The office of the attorney general is deferring prosecution, meaning it will remain active while Mr. Srigley meets conditions set by authorities.

Read more: D.C. man won't face gun charges for shooting pit bull attacking boy - Washington Times

2. Remove Ads

Stupid laws, make good people criminals...
    shadowwalker, PEF, Tzadik and 5 others like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Had it been 3 huskies, or 3 pointers, or 3 greyhounds (you get the picture), I'd bet that they would have thrown the book at this guy anyway.

Pitbulls and other large breeds have been a target of "control" and "registration" efforts for years now (remind you of anything).

Just like guns, the media portrays these as dangerous, mindless, killers that "go off" all by themselves. I'm glad they charged the owner of the dogs for once!!

Heck, had it been three men attacking the boys, this poor guy might be defending murder charges!

Lets hope that this is a sign that things might be turning, but I doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Darrow75 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    How are these DC gun restriction laws NOT a violation of the Second Amendment?
    Taurahe likes this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

"Just because you're a 'hero', we're not going to proceed with charges, but you will have to pay the $1000 fine. Pretty big of us, eh?"

You want to feel sorry for people in these circumstances, but then you have to remember...they voted to put these politicians who make these decisions in office.
    Instead of shooting dogs to save a life, he should have been buying and snorting cocain with an undercover officer...then he could have been elected mayor...twice!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

i will assume that the shooter was not an ex-felon, or a person who otherwise was legally prohibited from owning a gun. it appears that his 'crime' was that he hadn't registered his weapons.

i would guess that there are a great many people in his situation - who own an 'un-permitted' gun, or who own a gun of dubious provenance. how do you think they would respond to a pollster's asking them if they owned any guns?

the attacked boy and his family are lucky that this man was willing to risk all the ensuing legal hassles he knew would come, in order to save an innocent life. good for him.

Something to think about for the "my guns won't be unregistered, they'll be undocumented" crowd ?

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XD9rottie View Post
    Had it been 3 huskies, or 3 pointers, or 3 greyhounds (you get the picture), I'd bet that they would have thrown the book at this guy anyway.

Pitbulls and other large breeds have been a target of "control" and "registration" efforts for years now (remind you of anything).

Just like guns, the media portrays these as dangerous, mindless, killers that "go off" all by themselves. I'm glad they charged the owner of the dogs for once!!

Heck, had it been three men attacking the boys, this poor guy might be defending murder charges!

Lets hope that this is a sign that things might be turning, but I doubt it.

While I love dogs and even pits, I find that analogy inconsistent; seeing as how my gun doesn't have a brain of it's own, but dogs do.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Administrator
    Ted Gest, a spokesman for the office of the attorney general.

And so Ted Gest....you'll FINE Benjamin $1,000 and confiscate his firearms and the next time some helpless little kid is being attacked by a crazed animal and Benjamin is now powerless to stop the attack and the kid suffers a painfully excruciating and torturous death...who will be to blame then?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Stupid laws, make good people criminals...

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    I don’t think he should be charged at all because it’s an act of heroism,” said Chris Speight, 45, a cousin who helps care for Jayeon.
    It's really that simple. Every action aiding an innocent under unjustifiable attack is an act of heroism ... and it should be considered as such, by our statutes. How selflessly helping anyone ever gets considered as crimes is beyond me.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Ummmm, Isn't that exactly what the dogs did? Go off all by themselves and attempt to kill someone?

There is an old saying. "Shoot, shovel and shut up".
    CIBMike likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Something to think about for the "my guns won't be unregistered, they'll be undocumented" crowd ?

Self impose tranny much?
    The easy way is always mined.

Quote Originally Posted by CIBMike View Post
    Self impose tranny much?
    I think it's pretty clear that DC has imposed tyranny. My comment was referencing the crowd that said "that's ok, won't affect me". This is a clear example of how it could affect you, like this guy.

If you let the tyrants win, and you keep your "undocumented" guns, this (or worse) could happen.

I hope it speaks pretty clearly to the apathetic crowd who would rather sit back and do nothing, because by the time something happens to you it's too late and your going to end up like this poor soul, who did the right thing and is being punished for it.

CIBMike and ccw9mm like this.

Lead Moderator
    Interesting, I could swear that last nights local news said he was getting no jail time, but they were hitting him with the $1000 fine. That probably means that the next person to get attacked by a dog is just dog food!

Most in DC can't afford to to pay that kind of money to shoot a dog. [SARCASM] maybe they can scare it off with a quickly reconfigured Pop Tart! DC only bans them in schools. [/SARCASM]
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links