Murdered Children As Props For A Legislative Agenda.

This is a discussion on Murdered Children As Props For A Legislative Agenda. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; An excellent and thought-provoking article from "National Review" on methods used to promote gun control legislation by some. On Using Parents of Murdered Children | ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Murdered Children As Props For A Legislative Agenda.

Murdered Children As Props For A Legislative Agenda.

An excellent and thought-provoking article from "National Review" on methods used to promote gun control legislation by some.

On Using Parents of Murdered Children | National Review Online
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

2. Remove Ads

One thing I have learned from this current Prez. is that he does not like when others disagree with him. I believe in his mind, he is doing what the people want him to do. I for one am highly disappointed by his actions on more than one occasion. He has shown his true colors in his second term. To be honest, I can not wait for him to leave and for the country to get back on some sort of track.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Aye Aye ......

The article is good. I believe the statements below identify a deliberate attempt by the current administration to garner support for their gun control initiatives. Emotion is a very primitive response that trumps logic (This is covered with great examples in the book, "Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why" by Laurence Gonzales).

So, if you can hook someone emotionally - before they have an opportunity to consider the logic behind their proposals, you have a better opportunity to completely bypass logic. Once that happens facts become far less important - which is especially meaningful in a situation like this where the facts don't support their assertions (the link at the bottom of the page is a good example of this). From my perspective this practice is immoral, especially since it is so deliberate, has been repeated with great frequency, and seems to marginalize the victims and their families as they transformed to political tools.

"My second argument is that there is nothing to be learned from the Sandy Hook parents’ support of more gun control. That support is neither morally nor intellectually persuasive. Its appeal is entirely emotional."

Disarming Realities: As Gun Sales Soar, Gun Crimes Plummet - Forbes

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Unless he declares himself dictator for life through an Exective Order.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Senior Moderator
    I sense an IRS audit in bmcgilvary's future
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Good article.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cn262 View Post
    The article is good. I believe the statements below identify a deliberate attempt by the current administration to garner support for their gun control initiatives. Emotion is a very primitive response that trumps logic (This is covered with great examples in the book, "Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why" by Laurence Gonzales).

So, if you can hook someone emotionally - before they have an opportunity to consider the logic behind their proposals, you have a better opportunity to completely bypass logic. Once that happens facts become far less important - which is especially meaningful in a situation like this where the facts don't support their assertions (the link at the bottom of the page is a good example of this). From my perspective this practice is immoral, especially since it is so deliberate, has been repeated with great frequency, and seems to marginalize the victims and their families as they transformed to political tools.

"My second argument is that there is nothing to be learned from the Sandy Hook parents’ support of more gun control. That support is neither morally nor intellectually persuasive. Its appeal is entirely emotional."

Disarming Realities: As Gun Sales Soar, Gun Crimes Plummet - Forbes
    That is a deep and moving article.
    Excellent comments. And the link seems to highlight that Obama challenged the facts and the civility of us citizens - pitting those clinging to their guns and religion against the ones' in Obamerica - and lost. Over the last 20 years gun sales are up and gun crimes are down.
    [R]esearchers observed that the huge amount of attention devoted to gun violence incidents in the media has caused most Americans to be unaware that gun crime is “strikingly down” from 20 years ago. In fact, gun-related homicides in the late 2000s were “equal to those not seen since the early 1960s.” Yet their survey found that 56 percent believed gun-related crime is higher, 26 percent believed it stayed about the same, and 6 percent didn’t know. Only 12 percent of those polled thought it was lower.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

At least 7 children drowned in the basement of a school in Oklahoma. I guess we should either ban basements, or tornados.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Remember the uproar when the NRA pointed out that Big O's kids attend a school that has armed security? And how long did it take him to put the poor parents of lost kids and survivors on center stage?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    At least 7 children drowned in the basement of a school in Oklahoma. I guess we should either ban basements, or tornados.
    That is one twisted analogy.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Obama AND his Minions are just laying the Groundwork for the "Collection". Do NOT Trust them at ALL.
    Ghost1958 and Patti like this.

Senior Member Array Warrior1256's Avatar
    Anytime that a tragedy like Sandy Hook occurs the Libs always dance in the blood of the victims to advance their agenda. They make me sick.
    msgt/ret, Ghost1958 and Patti like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    One thing I have learned from this current Prez. is that he does not like when others disagree with him. I believe in his mind, he is doing what the people want him to do. I for one am highly disappointed by his actions on more than one occasion. He has shown his true colors in his second term. To be honest, I can not wait for him to leave and for the country to get back on some sort of track.....
    He does believe this. The problem lies in that he does not seem capable of understanding that, when he is blocked from passing his agenda, that those blocking it are in turn doing the will of their constituents. They just have a much smaller base of constituents.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    That is one twisted analogy.
    Yet, it points out the essential stupidity and vile evil of the logic being attempted with bans on firearms, on possession or carry by upstanding citizens. Damage from tornadoes and related damage such as broken pipes causes death, now and then, but seeking to ban tornadoes or basements is about as pointless and misguided as banning guns or knives simply because the occasional felon decides to go off his meds. It's the epitome of refusal to require that personal responsibility means something, that those responsible for actions are the threat, and that sometimes crappy things happen in spite of good intentions.

As for the tornado destruction in OK, it's sad to have the tornado pass, only to have a basement flood and drown its occupants. Even if well-designed and heavily reinforced, something like this could still happen in such an extreme situation. Who knows whether the design of the space was a design failure. I'm sure that'll be explored as part of the evaluation of what happened there.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links