How far would you go to protect your 2A rights

This is a discussion on How far would you go to protect your 2A rights within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, seems like we all have different levels of comfort when it comes to sticking up for our rights in general and the 2A specifically. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: How far would you go to protect your 2A rights

Well, seems like we all have different levels of comfort when it comes to sticking up for our rights in general and the 2A specifically. Look, I don't care if someone crawls under a rock or lets themsleves and their rights get trampled. That is up to them. I do care that people be honest about how far they are willing to go and that they are honest about the reasons why they would risk getting arrested.

I have a family that I am responsible for. Though comftorable, I am by no means super rich. I am willing to risk time and money to stick up for my rights. My comfort level is this:

1. I will not let LE (no bashing here) coerce me or force me into surrendering my rights. I have refused to show ID and to have my vehicle searched. I have refused to answer questions outside the scope of the official LE interaction. I have done so politely to LE that have been courteous and not so courteous.

2. Would I march on a state capitol..hmmmm. Yes, I have done that.

3. Would I march on DC with a loaded weapon following an idiot as a leader....no, not ever

4. Would I march on DC with a loaded weapon following someone I respected......no, not right now. We are not even close to that

5. Do I OC where legal....yes I do it because it is appropriate for certain situations and I do it sometimes for the sole reason of exercising my rights.

6. I do not tell LE I am carrying unless required by law. I am courteous to LE in word and mannerisms and I expect the same. If they want to know if I have a weapon for thier safety, then I want to know if thier wife left them that morning and he just found out he got passed up for promotion for my safety.

Looking forward from hearing fom everybody. I will reply to any comments about me but will not comment on others comfort level.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I'm not driving all the way to Tallahassee except for one reason--to collect my Lotto winnings. So far I haven't had to burn the gas. I'm not much into marching since I left the service (wasn't real crazy about it then). Besides, any march beyond about 100 yards would have to be a roll. My knees won't handle anything further. I haven't been stopped by LE in years, but I would stand my ground on illegal search and seizure, and I would prusue legal recourse if an LEO persisted. If OC were legal here, I would do it at times, but not always. Time and place for everything/discretion is the better part of valor thingie. Not required to notify in FL. Do not intend to unless asked to exiit the vehicle. (Don't know why they would ask during a simple traffic stop anyhow.)
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Well, seems like we all have different levels of comfort when it comes to sticking up for our rights in general and the 2A specifically. Look, I don't care if someone crawls under a rock or lets themsleves and their rights get trampled. That is up to them. I do care that people be honest about how far they are willing to go and that they are honest about the reasons why they would risk getting arrested.

I have a family that I am responsible for. Though comftorable, I am by no means super rich. I am willing to risk time and money to stick up for my rights. My comfort level is this:

1. I will not let LE (no bashing here) coerce me or force me into surrendering my rights. I have refused to show ID and to have my vehicle searched. I have refused to answer questions outside the scope of the official LE interaction. I have done so politely to LE that have been courteous and not so courteous.

2. Would I march on a state capitol..hmmmm. Yes, I have done that.

3. Would I march on DC with a loaded weapon following an idiot as a leader....no, not ever

4. Would I march on DC with a loaded weapon following someone I respected......no, not right now. We are not even close to that

5. Do I OC where legal....yes I do it because it is appropriate for certain situations and I do it sometimes for the sole reason of exercising my rights.

6. I do not tell LE I am carrying unless required by law. I am courteous to LE in word and mannerisms and I expect the same. If they want to know if I have a weapon for thier safety, then I want to know if thier wife left them that morning and he just found out he got passed up for promotion for my safety.

Looking forward from hearing fom everybody. I will reply to any comments about me but will not comment on others comfort level.
    I 100% agree with you on all lines. It would take an agressive act by our government against Americans before I would be willing to take up arms.

Agreed - though with #6, there are a few instances where I may inform LEO for my safety.

I like to think of this question - and this applies to other Constitutionally-protected rights - as more of a continuity of force picture. A few of the steps on this continuity diagram might include:

- Exercising rights privately/covertly within the law, including voting
    - Supporting organizations, public figures, businesses, and politicians that protect these rights
    - Promoting rights in discussions with friends and family
    - Contacting elected representatives
    - Writing letters to the editor or otherwise openly-published media with my name attached
    - Exercising rights publicly/overtly within the law
    - Participating in peaceful, lawful [complying with the laws in place, not as I believe they ought to be written] demonstrations
    - Discussing (respectfully) with LEOs/public officials the error of their instructions while complying with them
    - Resisting instructions I believe to be illegal, short of arrest
    - Private civil disobedience
    - Pre-planned public and peaceful civil disobedience, with intent to retreat
    - Resisting instructions I believe to be illegal to the point of arrest
    - Pre-planned public and peaceful civil disobedience, with intent to be arrested
    - Other options

On the 2A here in NH, I've only gotten to the bolded level and think I've got a lot of work to do to convince me to go further. But in the limited times I've OC'd here, I've never had an LEO or anyone else push the point.

I think you are spot on!
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    I know my rights and will exercise them.

I have been to Columbus

I have no intention to go to DC (for a march or any other reason)

Unfortunately, in OH, you are not afforded the option to remain silent about your weapon if it is being carried concealed and open carry in a vehicle, including a motorcycle, is considered concealed.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I will be an internet ninja!

I will write my representatives.
    I will write the President.
    I will attend town halls.
    I will donate to the cause.
    I will tell everyone I know about the 2nd amendment, and how it protects them.
    I will refuse illegal search and or seizure. to the point of arms? (remains to be seen, but very possibly).
    I will march in a legal march.
    I would fire my arms into the air on Patriot's Day and march on the county seat or the statehouse or the capitol mall... If ash hats hadn't absolutely RUINED Patriot's Day.
    And, I will pray. I will pray that this country finds itself again. I will pray that people come to realize it is our fighting spirit that made this country in the first place, and keeps it great (barely) to this day...

There's more that I will do, because I have done it before, like all of the above (exception of the Patriot's Day thing). There is a limit to what I will endure... I haven't reached it yet... but my last nerves are quite close to the surface.

We are a country that is about righting wrongs... sometimes by force of arms... sometimes in error laden, misconceived, "police actions." And sometimes just for Truth, Justice, and The American Way... We need to fight for our Democratic Republic as staunchly as we try to "let" "help" or otherwise interfere; trying to get other countries to become "Democracies."

God help us.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    There has not been a march on DC yet that I have felt compelled to particite in. I don't think I would march armed on DC as that would be illegal and thereby cause loss of the rights I would be marching to protect. Or were you refering to a march to throw the tyrants out? Because like you said, we are not even close to that yet. We are moving in that direction though.

And I would be more than happy to get into a legal fight after an illegal seizure of my firearms. I'm not sure how I feel about desregarding unconstitutional laws though. Peacefull resistance comes to mind. But as with most scenarios, it would depend on the details and the circumstances. I do not think I would turn in any guns that they would try to ban, or maybe one, so that I had legal grounds to file suit against whoever was forcing the collection.

I would not open fire against local police trying to enforce a confiscation at my house. That is a no-win sittuation. But I may be interested in joining a group to band together in defiance of the gun grab. It gets really sketchy when we start talking about that level of martial law type scenario.
    Walk softly ...

VIP Member
    Mostly I'm about where the above folks are, give or take a quibble. I do have a question for Oakchas.

You wrote, "There is a limit to what I will endure... I haven't reached it yet... but my last nerves are quite close to the surface."

As presumably a long time resident of Iowa, why are your nerves close to the surface? You and everyone else in Cyclone Country
    and beyond have just gained shall issue permits. Has that not moved those nerves a tad further from the surface? And if not,
    why not? This is an IA specific question from an old Cyclone. I'm asking it from the perspective of a former IA resident
    who lived there during "may issue" times.

Moving OT, just for Oakchas and maybe JD:
    Also, just an IA specific moan and groan. Don't they still have state liquor stores and still occasionally bust folks on I-80 for
    illegally transporting the good stuff into the state. That got on my nerves, really, and I hardly drink. Not to change topic,
    but somehow I saw that as a larger assault on my personal freedom (interstate commerce clause) than any of the gun laws.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Mostly I'm about where the above folks are, give or take a quibble. I do have a question for Oakchas.

You wrote, "There is a limit to what I will endure... I haven't reached it yet... but my last nerves are quite close to the surface."

As presumably a long time resident of Iowa, why are your nerves close to the surface? You and everyone else in Cyclone Country
    and beyond have just gained shall issue permits. Has that not moved those nerves a tad further from the surface? And if not,
    why not? This is an IA specific question from an old Cyclone. I'm asking it from the perspective of a former IA resident
    who lived there during "may issue" times.

Moving OT, just for Oakchas and maybe JD:
    Also, just an IA specific moan and groan. Don't they still have state liquor stores and still occasionally bust folks on I-80 for
    illegally transporting the good stuff into the state. That got on my nerves, really, and I hardly drink. Not to change topic,
    but somehow I saw that as a larger assault on my personal freedom (interstate commerce clause) than any of the gun laws.
    My nerves are near the surface because of several recent actions by this current administration on a national level. Going after the fourth estate, selectively enforcing tax laws against small "conservative" entities (while lackeys maintain "plausible deniability" for POTUS).

Things as far as firearms go, are "good" in Iowa. Yes, they could be better, and the national dialogue is keeping things "status quo" and we're not losing ground... Buy we did not make some of the gains we hoped for this legislative session.

No more state liquor stores, you can buy Templeton Rye, or most any other hooch in many convenience stores now.

But, I won't be in Iowa much longer... Retiring south... Maybe east maybe west, but definitely south.

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    Ksgunner likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I would hide my guns and stockpile. If the shtf and whoever the president is at that time goes all Hilter on us, I'd exercise my 2A rights and join the revolution. I'm not giving my guns up. I'll just get really good at hiding them. Yup.

Either that or move to Switzerland.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    My nerves are near the surface because of several recent actions by this current administration on a national level. Going after the fourth estate, selectively enforcing tax laws against small "conservative" entities (while lackeys maintain "plausible deniability" for POTUS).

Things as far as firearms go, are "good" in Iowa. Yes, they could be better, and the national dialogue is keeping things "status quo" and we're not losing ground... Buy we did not make some of the gains we hoped for this legislative session.

No more state liquor stores, you can buy Templeton Rye, or most any other hooch in many convenience stores now.

But, I won't be in Iowa much longer... Retiring south... Maybe east maybe west, but definitely south.

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    Glad to hear things are now better in IA.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Suntzu I like your list. I think it makes sense, and have posted my feelings in the other thread. That being said, there is a time and place for everything. The bubble has not popped, as long as that bubble doesnt pop, then I am okay. I will continue with the peace loving protests and letter writing, I honestly believe that up to this point it has worked. This country is not great because of the arms that we have, its great because we can speak loud enough to vote change....The liberals did it last time, I think its time we do it
    DetChris and ccw9mm like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    I will keep writing to our lawmakers and keep looking for who is trying to pass what,in my state.I feel pretty good so far S.C..No one has tried to ban anything,that i'm aware of.The Dictator wannabee Obummer,and friends are a whole different story.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    How far I will go depends on how far I need to go. The 2A isn't about guns. It's about securing freedom, and many men and women have fought and died to keep us a free nation and I will do my part as needed. Right now, praying, voting, and contacting representatives is the bulk of how I'm fighting. If it comes to arms in the future, then I may have to step up and do my part with that, too. I hope it never comes to that, though.
    gtfoxy and ccw9mm like this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links