Aussie "Buy a Gun" day draws fire

This is a discussion on Aussie "Buy a Gun" day draws fire within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A+ effort by Coalition of Law Abiding Sporting Shooters (CLASS) of Australia. http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...1-1702,00.html key phrase differentiating Australia from USA.... "It is privilege to own a ...

Thread: Aussie "Buy a Gun" day draws fire

A+ effort by Coalition of Law Abiding Sporting Shooters (CLASS) of Australia.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...1-1702,00.html

key phrase differentiating Australia from USA....

"It is privilege to own a firearm in Australia and promotion of the gun culture is no longer acceptable." <<<

Australia and Great Britian are totally anti gun and by projection anti self defence and self determination. It is the "Yes Master" attitude that the political elite in the US want to imulate. We need to unite and protect the 2A.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Unhappy I hope we aren't next.

Is makes me sick to read this stuff and see the current paralell arguments being forwarded in our own country. If we do not remain vigilant, we will face the same fate. Thus far, given the latest election results, I fear that our vigilance is waining.

John Conyers and Chuck Schumer are now in charge of picking our judges, so what does that portend for the future of the courts that rule on the interpretation of the 2A?

Don't think that this can't happen here. All it would take is a supreme court ruling that follows the "collective right" interpreatation of the 2A, and gun ownership will become a privilage here as well,
    unless you are the military, national guard or police.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I find it kind of offensive that they would lump AIDS victims in with Amnesty International. Not totally unexpected that someplace that would try and outlaw guns as much as they have would idolize Amnesty International - an organization that might as well be pro-criminal.

Last I checked, AIDS can strike anyone. Regardless of their beliefs or idiology. God that article makes me angry.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    Is makes me sick to read this stuff and see the current paralell arguments being forwarded in our own country. If we do not remain vigilant, we will face the same fate. Thus far, given the latest election results, I fear that our vigilance is waining.
    Don't blame the people for a lack of vigilance. Blame the political system for giving us lousy choices.

This month's election wasn't about gun control; it was about the Iraq War. People are sick of it, and they're sick of Bush and his cronies and the incompetent job they're doing. The election was a backlash against the entire Republican party for their association with Bush. I hate to say it, but I voted Democrat in most cases too, because the Reps are doing such a lousy job. In a few places, I voted Libertarian, but only for the less-important candidates.

Here in Arizona, we re-elected Governor Napolitano, a Democrat. In case you haven't been to Arizona, there aren't many states more pro-gun than this one (NH is probably the leader). It's not uncommon to see people carrying openly here. Even so, Napolitano was re-elected because she's been doing a relatively good job, and hasn't made any moves at all to change our gun laws. Interestingly, a big part of her re-election campaign was getting tough on illegal immigration, another big election issue, and something the Republicans are adamantly against doing anything about. While the Republicans have completely refused to enforce immigration laws, the Democrats have been the ones promising to do something about it.

What we really need in this country is an election system that doesn't perpetuate the two-party system, so that people in other parties can get elected. I support gun rights and strong immigration enforcement, but I will not vote for candidates that support an unending war that's turning out just like Vietnam. Countries like Sweden routinely have 6, 7, or more parties gaining representation in their government. But with our crappy system, I can't vote for, say, a Libertarian candidate that both supports gun rights while also opposing wars and government involvement in religion, because there's zero chance of him being elected. If this were to change, then we might finally get people in office who actually represent typical Americans instead of being so polarized.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Open carry is not the benchmark of a state's pro-gun-ness.

And I think it was a mistake for people to "vote to send a message." Thomas Sowell had a column about that very subject a few days ago. One has to be very careful when "voting to send a message" the way so many people seem to have done. What are you voting FOR when you vote against someone to "show 'em"?

I shudder to think what we just bought ourselves. I myself did not engage in the "that'll teach 'em" b.s. of voting for DEMOCRATS! just because the Republicans hadn't done such a great job.

Are you expecting, perhaps, that a majority Democrat congress is now going to do all the things you wish the Republicans had been doing for the last 12 years?

Combining the quote from the CLASS representative gives a better picture of what the anti's really are against...

... promotion of self-confidence, individual responsibility, self control and patience(= "the gun culture") is no longer acceptable."
    ...and when put like this, he is right...BECAUSE OF LIKE HIM!!
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by dwolsten View Post
    This month's election wasn't about gun control; it was about the Iraq War.
    I have disagreements with most of what you posted, but this is not the forum to discuss political issues unless they directly relate to the 2A and I agree to amicably disagree with you without being provocatory.

My point is:

This election may have been many things, but for me, every election is about the right to keep and bear arms. There are pro-2A people in both parites and there are antis in both parties, but the LEADERSHIP of one party is very anti-gun. And the leadership will set the agenda, not some pro-gun freshmen.

It boils down to this:

When the Republicans are in the majority, we fight to expand our 2nd amendment rights, carry laws, and roll back useless gun control legislation like the AWB.(we are on the offense)

When the Democrats are in the majority, that's out the window and we have to fight to keep our rights form being restricted further. (which puts us on the defensive)

You can't win from a defensive position, you can only hold. To win, you must attack, hence offense is a prefferable position.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Sponsored Links