Confusion of RIGHT VS. NEED

This is a discussion on Confusion of RIGHT VS. NEED within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What does it take to educate people. The difference between a RIGHT VS. NEED? Our Bill of Rights is written for the people and by ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Confusion of RIGHT VS. NEED

Confusion of RIGHT VS. NEED

What does it take to educate people. The difference between a RIGHT VS. NEED? Our Bill of Rights is written for the people and by the people. Is one right in the Bill of Rights out weigh the other? I think not. If the anti-gun people find that their 1st Amendment Right is being attack? Will they do the same as what the Pro-Gun people are doing now? Of course! But both 1st and 2nd Amendment Rights are for all citizens of America. So why then do they think we don't need our guns? Our needs for guns is a right. We fought in wars to preserve that right. We fought and died not for a need. But for our RIGHTS! Owning a firearm is a right. Owning and having a firearm is what helped the militia in the American Revolution give us the Freedom to have our Rights. Whether it's the 1st,2nd,3rd,4th and 5th Amendment. That is why our Forefathers decided to make that need into a Right. Because it is our duty as Citizens and individuals to make sure we preserve our Freedom and Our Constitution for our Children and their Children. Now this is my own opinion. I'm sure you have yours. But I am sure we can agree that it is called the Bill of Rights not the Bill of Needs.

2. Remove Ads

The Founders believe the items in the Bill of Rights were God given natural rights.. as in ones that are always present, always there.. not to say that the right may not be prohibited.. Governments at the time were well known to refuse you these natural rights-- which is part of why we rebelled against England. But no matter what, the natural rights still exist, even if they are denied by a government or individual.

The Founders knew that you didn't need a document to give you these certain, inalienable rights.. no document can give you what you were born with anyways; but a document was needed to REAFFIRM that they were in fact natural, inalienable, and not to be infringed upon.

What you have to understand is that many liberal thought-aligned Americans, so-called Progressives do not believe this to be true. They believe that we can take care of each other, and that a good strong government can protect you, that you do not have, nor do you need a natural right of self-defense. And even if you have it, it is not necessary. This is where conservatives, tea party activists, libertarians, and others feel that the progressives are wrong.

What is sad is that they truly and honestly think they are doing what is right and for the good of the country and its people.. but history and example after example proves this to be a fallacy.
    sensei2 likes this.

Very good points. If someone smugly asks "why do you need a military rifle?", the correct response is "I need it because IT'S NONE OF YOUR BLEEPING BUSINESS WHY, so kindly shut your pie-hole!"

I guess that's not the best way to win hearts and minds, but most people who ask that question ask it rhetorically, and are antis beyond reason already. If someone asked it honestly, I'd be a bit more polite, I suppose.
    Last edited by maxwell97; May 24th, 2013 at 09:35 PM.
    Warrior1256 likes this.

When I hear the "...why do you need..." argument, I remind the person that by their reasoning, the Government has the right to ban (and confiscate) anything you don't "need". Lessee, we need air, food, water, and shelter to survive. Period. I guess anything else is up for grabs???
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Yup, I start asking why they need the fancy car instead of a Ford Fiesta, why they aren't moving out of their 4 BR home after the kids have left, why they need the big TV, .....

In my mind, its really simple. If its a right I do not have to explain a need. The antis are so emotional about things, they cannot grasp that concept.
    maxwell97 and OD* like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

How about "I simply NEED my RIGHTS."

Nuff said.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Very good points. If someone smugly asks "why do you need a military rifle?", the correct response is "I need it because IT'S NONE OF YOU BLEEPING BUSINESS WHY, so kindly shut your pie-hole!"

I guess that's not the best way to win hearts and minds, but most people who ask that question ask it rhetorically, and are antis beyond reason already. If someone asked it honestly, I'd be a bit more polite, I suppose.

In other news: Area Pie Hole Shut | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
    maxwell97 likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Senior Member Array Warrior1256's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Very good points. If someone smugly asks "why do you need a military rifle?", the correct response is "I need it because IT'S NONE OF YOU BLEEPING BUSINESS WHY, so kindly shut your pie-hole!"

My sentiments exactly. It is not up to someone else to decide my needs. My needs are nobody else's business when I am exercising my rights.
    maxwell97 likes this.

This topic has been discussed ad nauseum. Over and over and over ..again and again and again.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

VIP Member
    What does it take to educate people?

A desire to learn and a willingness to listen, of which there is a dearth of both.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    This topic has been discussed ad nauseum. Over and over and over ..again and again and again.
    Does that mean that it lacks relevance???

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Does that mean that is lacks relevance???
    No, it means we hold a gun to your head and MAKE you open threads you are not interested in.

No, wait.........
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    No, it means we hold a gun to your head and MAKE you open threads you are not interested in.

No, wait.........
    Exactly....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    When I hear the "...why do you need..." argument, I remind the person that by their reasoning, the Government has the right to ban (and confiscate) anything you don't "need". Lessee, we need air, food, water, and shelter to survive. Period.
    Had the "why on earth do you need a firearm" question flung at me just the other day. I responded by asking "Can you read the newspaper? Do you realize how many days each week that violent crimes occur in this town and involve citizens who failed to be capable of withstanding them? Do you realize how hard our governing elitists are striving to disarm all citizens?" Need is relative to the threat at hand, but at that point it's too late to be wailing about needs. It goes double for the threat of tyranny by a government.

We as citizens have every right to defend our lives and our liberty. We have every right to erase (remove) the governing few who attempt to destroy either, to hold them severely accountable for such attempts. They have no right to demand otherwise, nor authority to do so. We have no right to fritter away our heritage simply because the tyrannical few tell us to. I need to stop, now; time to spit off the balcony.

Rights vs Needs, indeed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links