The Hughes Amendment

This is a discussion on The Hughes Amendment within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey All, While I know that our country is at a crossroads and that we recently almost had semi auto versions of AR/AK's banned, I ...

Thread: The Hughes Amendment

The Hughes Amendment

Hey All,
    While I know that our country is at a crossroads and that we recently almost had semi auto versions of AR/AK's banned, I feel that it might be a good time to write our respective congressmen/women on the possibility of repealing the Hughes Amendment. The more and more I study the class 3 laws and how much money it actually costs to purchase a full auto weapon, the more distaste I have for the Hughes Amendment. Over time this ban will make it near impossible for any private citizen to own a fully automatic weapon without making seven figures a year. Basically congress was able to ban machine guns over time without upsetting too many gun right's activists because it seems they didn't have the foresight to understand that. If one watches the CSPAN footage the way Charlie Rangel conducted the procedure it is clear that he railroaded a majority of Congress. While I know some of you will say "will never happen" "gun control advocates have too much power" remember this:
    I believe the assault weapons ban was curbed because many Americans realize the government can't protect them as much as they like to say they can.
    Americans actually wrote their congressmen/women (Political Correctness)
    Congressmen/women realized that their constituents would probably remove them via ballot box next election year if they didn't comply (look what's happening in Colorado)
    I don't believe that if we all write our senators/reps that the legislation will get introduced tomorrow, but I do believe it will at least crack the door open to a point where when Americans stop being so scared of guns that it would have a possibility of passing. Right now is not the time because we have more serious things to worry about like the IRS (Lori Lerner) and Benghazi. But I do believe these scandals have pushed many moderates more right, using a federal agency to target certain political groups never leaves you a good image. So if the possibility is there we should try to push on our congressmen/women to start deregulating firearms.
    Coming from a former U.S. Infantry Marine with 2 pumps to Helmand Province
    -Semper Fi
    Linny

2. Remove Ads

The repeal of the Hughes Amendment would be an excellent start towards what really needs to happen...the end of the 1934 NFA and everything that followed, along with the abolition of the ATF and its replacement with nothing.

Well stated and thanks for your service.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Life Member

Just wrote 3 letters,
    One to my Rep. Mark Amodei
    One to Senator Dean Heller
    And One as a general letter to the NRA. Wayn Lapierre said he and the gun lobby would fight this voraciously, but I guess it lost steam.

It would be a nice start, but since you are writing your Congress critter carefully remind them that they took an oath to uphold and defend the Constitution while bearing true faith to the same then ask for your military hardware that is spelled out in Article I Section 8 Clause 16. The militia encompasses all citizens between the ages of 18 and 50 which under federal law mandates everyone that isn't a member of the National Guard is in the unorganized militia category. The best thing is that the Constitution doesn't specify organized or unorganized militia in Article I Section 8 Clause 16. I can imagine their collective heads will explode when they read the Constitution for the first time realizing their errors.

But then you might get a letter back from them telling you you're not a sixth grader, which I actually remember reading in the 5th grade. Sen. Heller is a pretty good guy IMO, he got a lot of flack for allowing the AWB going from his committee to the floor, but I believe he did it to allow all of congress to vote which in my opinion is a classy move to allow the majority to vote on it and have an elitist attitude *cough* Dianne.

Links