Good Verdict for Californians

This is a discussion on Good Verdict for Californians within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Merced County, CA Sheriff Pays CGF $9,250 in Handgun Carry Case Settlement . The case, Rosow v Merced , springs from the Merced County sheriff's ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Pistology
  • 1 Post By Eagleks
  • 1 Post By cbp210
  • 1 Post By Arborigine
  • 1 Post By chuckusaret

Thread: Good Verdict for Californians

VIP Member

Merced County, CA Sheriff Pays CGF $9,250 in Handgun Carry Case Settlement. The case, Rosow v Merced, springs from the Merced County sheriff's flouting of CA law (that seeks to ensure that the procedure or process of CCW application is uniform throughout the state) after Rosow's choice to elevate his wife's protection options during the couple's first pregnancy with the extenuating situation of trespassing meth users.
    In addition to requirements of good cause and good moral character, the sherrif was unilaterally requiring applicants to process additional forms and to pay additional fees and to submit to additional processes. So the suit was to remedy a violation of state law.
    "The wheels of justice turn slowly but grind exceedingly fine."
    "It's great to see a successful outcome in this case, as Merced's policy on licenses to carry handguns was substantially revised to address the most grievous concerns, and the Court retained jurisdiction to address future compliance issues....

"This case is an important next step in our Carry Initiative," explained Brandon Combs, executive director for The Calguns Foundation. "The County chose to address our concerns rather than face a possible court order, and we applaud them for that. Now it's up to the other California sheriffs to follow suit or be sued themselves."

"Ultimately, this case is about making carry license policies consistent with California law," said Foundation Chairman Gene Hoffman. "We hope that we can accomplish this without suing every California county, but if that's what it requires, that's what we are prepared to do."
    Good work, Calguns Foundation!
    SmokinFool likes this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

good deal. There are always "some" that want to stretch it as far as they can, until someone takes a stand.
    SmokinFool likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Excellent news!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Coming from California this is great news. I see the only way to defeat gun control in that State is through the Courts.
    Pistology likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I will be sending them another check. For those of you in other states, remember that what happens here, happens there eventually. Help CalGuns Foundation and help yourselves.
    Pistology likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Amazing. They actually went further than the already ridiculous CA laws allow. It's good to see that a court over there actually did its job.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    The sheriff did not pay restitution, he violated state law but the taxpayers of California paid the settlement. The sheriff received no punishment for willfully violating state law, he should have been fired.
    dben002 likes this.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    good deal. There are always "some" that want to stretch it as far as they can, until someone takes a stand.
    Yep, that is exactly how things have been playing out. It seems that more and more people are taking responsibility for, and finally speaking up for their own freedoms. This is an exceedingly good thing to see. Hopefully it's not too late.
    Last edited by SmokinFool; June 4th, 2013 at 04:30 PM.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Not often we hear good gun news from CA. Good to hear. Hopefully it there will be more to follow.
    Walk softly ...

Sponsored Links