Plumber Shoots Self While Putting Gun Back in Holster - Page 2

Plumber Shoots Self While Putting Gun Back in Holster

This is a discussion on Plumber Shoots Self While Putting Gun Back in Holster within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Phil Elmore The only way the gun will go off when reholstering is if your finger is on the trigger, period . ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Plumber Shoots Self While Putting Gun Back in Holster

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Elmore View Post
    The only way the gun will go off when reholstering is if your finger is on the trigger, period.
    Not really. A Glock, or any other gun, cannot distinguish between a human finger and any other material acting on the trigger. Items commonly worn on one's belt or protruding from one's pocket can get in the trigger guard during re-holstering and cause a gun to discharge. Anyone that wears other items on a belt or sticks things like screwdrivers in their pockets should be aware. Re-arrange the items on your belt so they don't pose a risk and be careful of things that might protrude from your pocket(s).

When re-holstering my XD, I always remove the web of my hand from the grip safety as an additional safety precaution. (For the record, I'm NOT implying that the XD is better than a Glock.) I also look at my holster during re-holstering. My point is that no matter what kind of gun you choose to carry, develop a method of re-holstering that allows for a margin of error.
    Last edited by AZ Dog; November 21st, 2006 at 01:22 AM.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." - Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Administrator
    This just popped into my head.
    I thought plumbers were supposed to repair leaks and not create them.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    The word "Glock" comes immediately to mind!

That couldn't happen with any number of non-Glock guns? C'mon... enough with the bias!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I don't think Glocks are inherently any more dangerous than a basic DAO Revolver.
    With the only exception being that part of the field stripping procedure is to pull the trigger on a Glock.

Hopefully all shooters are now wise enough to drop the mag & clear the chamber & do a visual before pulling the trigger.

Anyone not "wise" enough to do that in the first place is just an idiot. Come on, we're talking about the idea that, "Hey, time to strip and clean my Glock; I guess I'll just pull the trigger and see if it had been loaded or not."

I don't know what you mean by hopefully they are "NOW" wise enough... There should never have been a point when anyone should have thought it proper to strip ANY semi-auto without verifying an empty chamber first.
    Really, are we saying that this kind of procedure should be thought of as new?!

Jeez... How do you go on carrying after something like that? The jokes alone would be unbearable. The self doubt. I guess thats why he shot himself, so that I can learn by example and avoid his mistake. Thanks guy...
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Administrator
    I am just referring to known past (documented) cases where people have actually pulled the trigger on a Glock and NDed during the field stripping procedure.
    How that happened can only be explained as a Brain Fart? I don't know.
    Sometimes people act before they think and that is not ever smart when working with firearms. I don't want to throw this thread completely off topic.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sorry, I just don't buy it. I think complaints about the holster magically pulling the trigger are simply a way for negligent shooters to excuse their own misbehavior. Sure, it's within the realm of physical possiblity for such things to happen -- I just see it as so unlikely that the probability is functionally zero.

Administrator
    Phil
    ALSO CLICK HERE - This .gov page actually shows the Uncle Mikes retention strap & the redesigned one. The Retention strap is fairly stiff plastic.

FOBUS
    Holsters recalled because strap causes gun to fire
    WASHINGTON (AP) — A Pennsylvania company is recalling about 3,200 gun holsters because the strap can catch the trigger and cause the weapon to fire accidentally. Eight incidents of accidental firing have been reported, the Consumer Product Safety Commission said Wednesday.
    The Fobus USA Holster Division of First Samco, of Southampton, Pa., is recalling its Fobus GLT holsters, designed for Series 17 and Series 19 Glock handguns fitted with a laser-sight light. There have been eight reports of guns discharging as they were inserted into the holster. One person injured a finger.

The recall, in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, involves about 3,200 units with leather or plastic retention straps less than an inch wide. The holsters are inscribed with "GL 2*EMZ," "FOBUS" and "Made in Israel." They were sold at gun accessory retailers nationwide and on the Fobus Web site between March 2002 and March 2003 for about $40 to $45.

The holsters have since been redesigned with wider straps and a plastic tip that is too wide to be caught in the trigger guard.

Consumers should stop using the holsters immediately and bring them to a Fobus USA distributor for a free replacement holster or contact First Samco for instructions on how to return product for a replacement. Consumers can also send the recalled holster to Fobus USA in Southampton, and will be reimbursed for return shipping.

For more information consumers can call 866-508-3997 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Michaels Of Oregon Uncle Mike's

NEWS from CPSC
    U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
    Office of Information and Public Affairs Washington, DC 20207

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    May 17, 2005
    Release #05-175 Firm’s Hotline: (800) 471-4999
    CPSC Consumer Hotline: (800) 638-2772
    CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

CPSC, Michaels of Oregon Announce Recall of Handgun Holsters
    WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission announces the following recall in voluntary cooperation with the firm below. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: Kydex Belt Holsters for Glock model handguns

Units: About 8,000

Manufacturer: Michaels of Oregon, of Oregon City, Ore.

Hazard: The holster’s retention strap can move out of position and could cause a handgun to unexpectedly discharge while being reholstered, posing a serious injury risk to consumers.

Incidents/Injuries: The firm has received three reports of unexpected discharges. In one incident, a law enforcement officer was shot in the leg while reholstering his firearm.

Description: The recall includes Kydex Belt and Tactical Holsters with thumb break fits for Glock model handguns. The holsters are rigid and are made of black Kydex and come with tension screws for a proper fit. The words, “Uncle Mike’s by Michaels of Oregon” are printed on the back of the holster. The recall involves sizes 12, 21, and 25, which is printed on the inside of the holster between the two screws securing the holster to the belt slide.

Sold through: Uncle Mike’s and Uncle Mike’s Law Enforcement catalogs and at sporting goods stores and gun supply stores nationwide from January 2002 through October 2002 for between $25 and $50.

Manufactured in: United States

Remedy: Consumers who have purchased a Kydex Holster with a Thumb break for a Glock Handgun should stop using it immediately and contact Michaels of Oregon for a replacement retention strap free of charge.

Consumer Contact: Call Michaels of Oregon at (800) 471-4999 between 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. PT Monday through Friday, or visit their Web site at www.michaelsoforegon.com

Administrator

Like I said, I don't dispute that it's physically possible. I just find it extremely unlikely.

Of course, if you're going to buy a Fobus in the first place... ;)

Administrator
    "Of course, if you're going to buy a Fobus in the first place... ;)"

You know I'm not a fan of either Fobus or Unc Mike's holsters.
    Just a personal thing of mine that I've never liked either for concealment purposes.

I have a few Uncle Mike's IWB holsters that work okay. Other than that I don't mess with them. I don't care for Fobus because I think they're poorly made.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Elmore View Post
    There is nothing inherently unsafe about a Glock -- and I would truly love to see a holster retention flap that has the malicious articulation necessary to work its way into the relatively small trigger guard on the downward motion of reholstering the pistol. I disbelieve any such accounts.

The only way the gun will go off when reholstering is if your finger is on the trigger, period.
    +1 Phil. Also, the moral of this story should be: do not mess with your gun while installing water heater!
    GeorgiaCarry.Org Member
    NRA Member

Why are there so many eager to jump on a Glock. It could be any other gun made with its trigger safety off!
    GeorgiaCarry.Org Member
    NRA Member

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGlocker View Post
    Why are there so many eager to jump on a Glock. It could be any other gun made with its trigger safety off!
    Well, I'm a Glock guy, my pick for the holidays is going to be my G-17, but I do take extra precautions holstering it because there is no way to keep it from firing if the trigger snags on something. Can other guns do this? Of course, but as a Glock guy, I'm willing to admit the light, short, trigger stroke and lack of an external safety on a Glock makes it easier than a long, 6.5+# pull and safeties on other guns.

As previously mentioned, you can holster an XD by placing your thumb on the back of the slide. This lifts the web of your hand off the grip safety an blocks the trigger. On a hammer fired gun, you can place your thumb on the hammer; that will tell you, one, if the hammer is cocked and two if the trigger snags on something and it is raising the hammer. You don't have any such options with a Glock. If a garment, a zipper, a jacket pull, anything gets in the trigger there's nothing to stop a Glock from firing.

And, please, don't say my finger or my brain is my safety. Look around, you'll see people's brains failing continually.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links