Plumber Shoots Self While Putting Gun Back in Holster

This is a discussion on Plumber Shoots Self While Putting Gun Back in Holster within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/f...&storyid=69460 Plumber Shoots Self While Putting Gun Back in Holster SOUTH DAYTONA, FL (AP) -- A painful accident for one Titusville plumber. Police say Kenneth ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plumber Shoots Self While Putting Gun Back in Holster

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/f...&storyid=69460

SOUTH DAYTONA, FL (AP) -- A painful accident for one Titusville plumber. Police say Kenneth Eugene Morey was installing a hot water heater Friday afternoon in South Daytona when he had trouble reaching some of the pipes. A colleague advised him to remove the gun from the holster on his back.

Trouble is, when Morey later returned to pistol, it fired into his thigh. Fifty-seven-year-old Morey was taken to Halifax Medical Center and listed in satisfactory condition.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

This should be rule number 5. Keep your trigger finger off the trigger when manuvering the pistol into your holster.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Assistant Administrator
    Just guessing - Glock or 1911 with safety off. Reholstering can easily disengage grip safeties.

One thing I notice with my OWB - the way it sits and with the cant it has - a round would go into ground just behind me.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

One of my co-workers did something similar a few weeks ago.
    He was shooting a 45 cal Glock and while re-holstering shot himself in the leg and foot.
    According to the story he told he was putting it back in the holster and the thumbreak flap got stuck in the trigger guard. He felt some resistance but jammed the gun down without checking first and it went off.
    That's his story and he's sticking to it.
    230 grain hollowpoint (remanufactured ammo) skimmed down his right thigh, entered his calf then exited upside down and hit his foot breaking some bones in the foot. the foot was barely penetrated.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

A colleague advised him to remove the gun from the holster on his back.
    Maybe he should re-read the instruction booklet on how to use that slick, new back holster. Of course, perhaps he'd have blown off his shoulder with the other unit, or his ...
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    when Morey later returned to pistol, it fired into his thigh.
    The word "Glock" comes immediately to mind!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    The word "Glock" comes immediately to mind!
    The first thing I thought!

I do carry Glocks and think they're a wonderful gun, but one does have to be extra careful with them since they have that wonderfully consistent, short, light trigger pull - especially when holstering.

This could happen with ANY gun; it's just that it's easier with a Glock.

I might as well make everybody mad - I seem to hear of more of these kinds of accidents with Glocks and 1911s than any other gun.

Administrator
    The article does not say it was a Small Of Back holster...only that the holster was "on his back" so to not jump to conclusions and be fair - he could have been carrying at 4: ~ 4:30 ~ 5: ~ or 5:30 O'Clock.
    All of those carry locations would be almost equally as troublesome laying on back "belly up" and trying to do plumbing repair.

I tend to think that he was NOT carrying SOB since most SOB holsters that I've seen do not have retention straps.
    He MAY have still been carrying a Glock in one of those RECALLED holsters when numerous NDs were the fault of a "Too Narrow" retention strap that seemed to find it's way into more that one trigger guard during reholstering. That was not a Small Of Back holster.
    Without more information I guess we'll never know. And I'm sure that the plumber is not talking about it unless he is busy "running his mouth" and blaming the gun right now.

VIP Member
    "holster on his back"......He really shouldn't use it to hide plumber's crack.........
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Intresting how they word it in the article that when he returned to pistol, it fired in his thigh . as if the pistol fired all by itself.

There is nothing inherently unsafe about a Glock -- and I would truly love to see a holster retention flap that has the malicious articulation necessary to work its way into the relatively small trigger guard on the downward motion of reholstering the pistol. I disbelieve any such accounts.

The only way the gun will go off when reholstering is if your finger is on the trigger, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Elmore View Post
    There is nothing inherently unsafe about a Glock -- and I would truly love to see a holster retention flap that has the malicious articulation necessary to work its way into the relatively small trigger guard on the downward motion of reholstering the pistol. I disbelieve any such accounts.

The only way the gun will go off when reholstering is if your finger is on the trigger, period.

According to John Farnam, both Fobus and Uncle Mike's have produced holsters for Glocks who's retention straps could get caught in the trigger guard when reholstering. I've also heard of other incidents involving keys and the little cylinders on the ends of windbreaker's drawstrings.

Bottom line, whenever you're reholstering any kind of pistol, if you feel any foreign object or any kind of resistance STOP! Pull the gun out of the holster and make sure that there's nothing that could be getting in the way.

Administrator
    I don't think Glocks are inherently any more dangerous than a basic DAO Revolver.
    With the only exception being that part of the field stripping procedure is to pull the trigger on a Glock.

Hopefully all shooters are now wise enough to drop the mag & clear the chamber & do a visual before pulling the trigger.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    Fobus did a recall on one of their Glock holsters because of the potential of a discharge during holstering.

As far as "...nothing inherently unsafe about a Glock...", I'd agree that the gun has nothing unsafe about it's design. But I'm not so sure that covers inherently safe. A folding knife is inherently safe, but a lot of people still get cut on them.

A Glock has a short, light trigger pull and no external safety mechanism should the trigger get snagged. Is that inherently safe? Maybe. But a similar gun, the XD, has about a pound and a half heavier trigger than a Glock, a bit longer trigger stroke, and a grip safety. So is one more inherently safe than the other? I think so.

I've carried a lot of Glocks, been to several shooting schools with them and never had or seen an accident with a Glock, but everytime I holster a Glock I find I am constantly checking the trigger and area, just to be sure. I don't do that with any other gun I carry. My Sigs have hammers, so I put my thumb on the hammer as I holster. One, it tells me if I forgot to decock, and two, if the hammer starts to cock as it goes in the holster, I know the trigger snagged.

When I holster a 1911, my thumb is on the safety all the way in. On my H&K USP, I put the safety on, hold it with my thumb until the gun is seated in the holster, and then flip off the safety.

Are these guns safer than a Glock? I think so, and I'd carry a Glock in a heartbeat, but I'd be really careful holstering it.

The Finger Is The Safety...

If one is not 100% alert...100% of the time, an AD can occur. Plumbing first and gun safety second? I'm relatively certain this gentleman will not make this mistake a second time...he should NOT have made it the first time.

How many times do we see 'non-thinking gun fumblers' at a range? I can think of more than one range I will not go back to because of individuals not focusing on the 'task' at hand...their weapon procedures/safety.

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links