Collins Introduces Bill To Eliminate Unconstitutional Sporting Purpose Distinction

Collins Introduces Bill To Eliminate Unconstitutional Sporting Purpose Distinction

This is a discussion on Collins Introduces Bill To Eliminate Unconstitutional Sporting Purpose Distinction within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not sure how far this will go but it's worth a try I guess. Today, Representative Doug Collins (R-GA) introduced legislation to eliminate the "sporting ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Warrior1256
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By tcox4freedom

Thread: Collins Introduces Bill To Eliminate Unconstitutional Sporting Purpose Distinction

Not sure how far this will go but it's worth a try I guess.

Today, Representative Doug Collins (R-GA) introduced legislation to eliminate the "sporting purpose" distinction contained in the Internal Revenue Code and the Federal Criminal Code. H.R. 2277 restores Second Amendment protections to all firearms.
    Rep. Collins Introduces Bill To Eliminate Unconstitutional 'Sporting Purpose' Distinction In Gun Laws | dawsontimes.com

Text of the bill: Proposed Federal Gun Legislation HB2277 - American Gun Owners Alliance
    An Informed Gun Owner Is An Anti-Gunners Worst Nightmare - Stay Informed @ American Gun Owners Alliance

Senior Member Array Warrior1256's Avatar
    Good for him!!! If this passes and becomes law it could have big positive ramifications concerning the 2A.
    Eagleks likes this.

I'm itching for SAF/GOA/JPFO/NRA to jointly pull out the big guns, suing the government over the simple meaning of "shall not be infringed." Risky endeavor, but IMO everything short of that's merely flicking a feather at the problem.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Now that would be awesome, not that it can get anywhere with the current crowd of yahoos in the federal government.

There seems to be some controversy as to whether this a a good bill or bad. One friend of mine that studies law (but isn't a lawyer) said this:

The only power they are taking away from the AG is the power to help us. All the strikes to US CODE TITLE 18 make it more restrictive, not less, by taking away the ability of the owner or the AG to claim non-applicability of a restrictive designation by saying the item will be used only for sporting purposes.
    And after re-reading the bill I'm not quite sure who's right.
    An Informed Gun Owner Is An Anti-Gunners Worst Nightmare - Stay Informed @ American Gun Owners Alliance

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior1256 View Post
    Good for him!!! If this passes and becomes law it could have big positive ramifications concerning the 2A.
    With the Dems in charge of the Senate, there is zero chance this will get anywhere. So it is just another political stunt. The problem is that lately all that has been going on in Congress is political stunts and no real work.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I'm itching for SAF/GOA/JPFO/NRA to jointly pull out the big guns, suing the government over the simple meaning of "shall not be infringed." Risky endeavor, but IMO everything short of that's merely flicking a feather at the problem.
    Unfortunately, that will likely never happen. Let's not forget, these organizations make a whole lot of money and enjoy some heavy political clout fighting for us.

IMHO; they don't want the war to be over. They just want to win the "battles" so the money will keep coming in; while the war rages on.

-
    oakchas likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    We need more legislators trying to snuff out bogus laws. Bravo Mr. Collins. Even if it won't succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Unfortunately, that will likely never happen. Let's not forget, these organizations make a whole lot of money and enjoy some heavy political clout fighting for us.

IMHO; they don't want the war to be over. They just want to win the "battles" so the money will keep coming in; while the war rages on.

-
    Point taken.

Well, it seems to me that each of these groups could become powerhouses of the BOR corrections that need to be done. It's not as though the ACLU has a stellar record on many aspects of such infringements, in this regard. I'd bet there is a lot of room out there, even if everything related to the 2A were to magically be resolved anytime soon. Imagine how much horsepower they could all bring to bear on the infringements in the 1A, 2A, 4A, 5A. If they were to open up the gates a bit, on what they handled, I think there's plenty of work sufficient to keep them all rolling for quite some time.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; June 12th, 2013 at 04:35 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post

-
    So, what you're saying is it's all politics as usual... and politics is money... and the banks fund each side, and both sides pay the interest (in $$ or favors)... Sounds right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Point take.

Well, it seems to me that each of these groups could become powerhouses of the BOR corrections that need to be done. It's not as though the ACLU has a stellar record on many aspects of such infringements, in this regard. I'd bet there is a lot of room out there, even if everything related to the 2A were to magically be resolved anytime soon. Imagine how much horsepower they could all bring to bear on the infringements in the 1A, 2A, 4A, 5A. If they were to open up the gates a bit, on what they handled, I think there's plenty of work sufficient to keep them all rolling for quite some time.
    NRA tried that, to a degree... spreading out into social conservatism outside of gun rights (IIRC, but I could be grossly mistaken)...

I think the gun groups oughta stay gun groups... After all, we (gun owners) tend to say, "The 2nd defends all the others..."
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Sponsored Links