Ohio Bill Changes Reciprocity, CCW Training & More

This is a discussion on Ohio Bill Changes Reciprocity, CCW Training & More within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A new bill introduced June 11 in the Ohio house amends 13 existing gun laws included automatic reciprocity with any state that honors an Ohio ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Ohio Bill Changes Reciprocity, CCW Training & More

A new bill introduced June 11 in the Ohio house amends 13 existing gun laws included automatic reciprocity with any state that honors an Ohio CCW.

The bill appears to be 100% positive.

Proposed Ohio Gun Law HB203 - American Gun Owners Alliance
    Saint77 likes this.
    An Informed Gun Owner Is An Anti-Gunners Worst Nightmare - Stay Informed @ American Gun Owners Alliance

I think this as 95% postive.

Some may not agree with me but, Im ok with the required training part of our law. 3 people in the 14 hour class I took came to a well informed decision that carrying simply wasn't for them. It could however be taken down to maybe 8 or 6 hours.

Im on the fence about the 6 year limit for former and retired military though. I think if former Police have to do it, which I do not know if they do, then so should former and ex military.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint77 View Post
    I think this as 95% postive.

Some may not agree with me but, Im ok with the required training part of our law. 3 people in the 14 hour class I took came to a well informed decision that carrying simply wasn't for them. It could however be taken down to maybe 8 or 6 hours.

Im on the fence about the 6 year limit for former and retired military though. I think if former Police have to do it, which I do not know if they do, then so should former and ex military.
    At least you realize it. Sorry, but I agree with the whole second amendment, not just the KEEP part.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    At least you realize it. Sorry, but I agree with the whole second amendment, not just the KEEP part.
    So then, your saying that three ill informed folks go ahead and carry without knowing any possible physical, and legal consequences?

Im not sure where any part of the Second was being taken away from anyone? Also, you should be aware, then in Ohio, there is Open Carry with no licensing and training requirements at all.
    JDE101, DontTreadOnI and DetChris like this.

HTO
    I'm interested in the reciprocity agreements. Was going to get my Utah next month but may hold off if the reciprocity agreements are changing.

I like what I read about it, but I bet it takes several weeks, if not months, before it gets passed! And I would bet it doesn't get passed without some modifications to parts of it. There are just to many anti-gun libtards in the major Ohio cities for this to pass as is! I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but good, rational legislation has no bearing on some of the emotional legislators from the urban areas of Ohio, mainly Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Dayton!
    Saint77 likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    I like what I read about it, but I bet it takes several weeks, if not months, before it gets passed! And I would bet it doesn't get passed without some modifications to parts of it. There are just to many anti-gun libtards in the major Ohio cities for this to pass as is! I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but good, rational legislation has no bearing on some of the emotional legislators from the urban areas of Ohio, mainly Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Dayton!
    Except the Republicans have solid majorities in both the House and the Senate, so the Dems can cry all they want but we have a solid nine year record of the Republican controlled legislature passing pro-gun bills.

The General Assembly is about to go on summer recess so I wouldn't look for much to happen with this bill before October.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    With the exception of a few states (CA, CO, NY, CN), it sure seems the majority of states are relaxing or eliminating gun control laws or at least telling the Feds to back off their turf. I guess the Great Orator isn't as effective as he thought.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

So then, your saying that three ill informed folks go ahead and carry without knowing any possible physical, and legal consequences?

Im not sure where any part of the Second was being taken away from anyone? Also, you should be aware, then in Ohio, there is Open Carry with no licensing and training requirements at all.
    Yes.

And because having to get a license, from the government, in order to carry arms is indeed an infringement. Agree?

And I am fully aware that open carry is legal in Ohio with no licensing and training requirements. How would someone simply throwing on a cover garment over an openly carried firearm make it or them any more dangerous. My question then is, do you agree with unlicensed open carry, and if so, what is the difference between the two to you?
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

LOL .... so, ya'all need classes for what father's and grandfather's taught us from the get go ? Because somewhere in there, a generation was "skipped" ... and didn't pass on the tribal knowledge that all of my generation knew in the first place ?
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    if the other state automatically recognizes as valid in that state
    It's about time.
    Indiana has always recognized Ohio licenses, but the reverse was not; I never understood that from our neighbor to the east.
    Hope it passes w/o mods.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

RKM
    Any chance of this being signed into law by the 22nd? :D I'm traveling to Ohio from PA for a day to see our new puppy. We're getting a Labradoodle from a breeder in Ohio. Then heading back later in July to pick him up. I obviously want to carry. I've been carrying everyday for years now.

I know it's unlikely this would go into law in the next week, I was mainly kidding about that of course. But I will be traveling MOST of the trip through my home state, PA, then about only a half hour into Ohio. What do I need to do to abide by Ohio's laws once I cross the state line? Unload and lock in the glovebox acceptable?

I was going to start a separate thread about this, but just saw this one and figured I'd ask here.

If this bill was passed tomorrow, how many more states would we share reciprocity with?

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Yes.

And because having to get a license, from the government, in order to carry arms is indeed an infringement. Agree?

And I am fully aware that open carry is legal in Ohio with no licensing and training requirements. How would someone simply throwing on a cover garment over an openly carried firearm make it or them any more dangerous. My question then is, do you agree with unlicensed open carry, and if so, what is the difference between the two to you?
    I cant say I agree with you there. While I understand that many folks are acquainted with firearms right out of the gate from their family teaching them, or whatever, many of us are not. My first experience with them was on the wrong end, at age 38. and, taking a class, required or not, was the right way for me to go. As it was for the 3 ladies I mentioned. Now that I am more education, the last thing I want is someone making rash decision to start carrying without any knowledge or understanding of usage and ramifications.

Afterall, that indirectly is how I ended up on the wrong end of a gun.

As for the licensing, that's always up for debate. We can argue semantics all day, i'm sure. I don't pretend to understand why open carry is unfettered, yet conceal is licensed. Perhaps part of it is the premise behind each type, Open is open, everyone can see it, there are no false pretenses or hidden intentions. Concealed is, well, Concealed. Certainly there is political agenda behind the licensing requirement and structure, this I have no doubt, but conversely, the very fact we have conceal in Ohio where there was none just, what, 10 years ago? is a huge leap, still. I am certainly in no way shape or form advocating relinquishing any part of the 2nd though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    LOL .... so, ya'all need classes for what father's and grandfather's taught us from the get go ? Because somewhere in there, a generation was "skipped" ... and didn't pass on the tribal knowledge that all of my generation knew in the first place ?
    Not that you need my personal history, but....

You can say that. My gandparents came from Pre WW2 Europe, where their families were being rounded up, ghetto'd, and eventually exterminated. They had an extreme adversity to firearms, as did my mother who learned that fear from her parents. I had no dad, and if he was around, he came from post WW2 Philippines, so he wasn't a fan of that stuff, either. I wish this wasnt the case as there aversion is overkill, but it is what it is.

Myself, as I said above, never touched them until I was introduced to them, ammunition first.

Anyway, regardless of my personal background...those who aren't acquainted with guns usually come form urban backgrounds, as I did, and they are in need of classes, and education.

My only trouble with it being law is that at some point there is sometimes no quality control, and the price becomes prohibitive for some people, and there for is an infringement, IMHO.
    Eagleks likes this.

I cant say I agree with you there. While I understand that many folks are acquainted with firearms right out of the gate from their family teaching them, or whatever, many of us are not. My first experience with them was on the wrong end, at age 38. and, taking a class, required or not, was the right way for me to go. As it was for the 3 ladies I mentioned. Now that I am more education, the last thing I want is someone making rash decision to start carrying without any knowledge or understanding of usage and ramifications.

Afterall, that indirectly is how I ended up on the wrong end of a gun.

As for the licensing, that's always up for debate. We can argue semantics all day, i'm sure. I don't pretend to understand why open carry is unfettered, yet conceal is licensed. Perhaps part of it is the premise behind each type, Open is open, everyone can see it, there are no false pretenses or hidden intentions. Concealed is, well, Concealed. Certainly there is political agenda behind the licensing requirement and structure, this I have no doubt, but conversely, the very fact we have conceal in Ohio where there was none just, what, 10 years ago? is a huge leap, still. I am certainly in no way shape or form advocating relinquishing any part of the 2nd though.
    I appreciate you taking the time to explain your reasoning, although I think we will have to agree to disagree.

Pertaining to your family and background, I can understand an adversity to arms somewhat; but, to me, it would also make me think that a family that has been through/comes from that would be highly adverse to a government controlling their (you and your families) access to arms and ability to legally be armed/carry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links