Thoughts...? An anti open carries.

This is a discussion on Thoughts...? An anti open carries. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Dave Workman posted a link to this article today: http://msmagazine.com/blog/2013/06/1...-gun-week-one/ Part of me is outraged at the provocative stunt, but I'm also intrigued. I wonder ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: Thoughts...? An anti open carries.

Thoughts...? An anti open carries.

Dave Workman posted a link to this article today: http://msmagazine.com/blog/2013/06/1...-gun-week-one/

Part of me is outraged at the provocative stunt, but I'm also intrigued. I wonder if the experience might just open her mind a bit.

What do you think?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

2. Remove Ads

The cop had it right:
    The cop thought I was an idiot and suggested I take a class.
    Chris Muir is on top of it Monday (6/17) and Tuesday so far: Day by Day Cartoon by Chris Muir :: June 17, 2013 Archives

(Great conservative strip, BTW, but occasionally NSFW or little ones. PS, I'm in love with a 'toon...)
    WHEC724, rocky and 84160 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I'm with the cop.

Obviously written to push an agenda, interesting to see where it goes.
    fredg53 and NONAME762 like this.

VIP Member
    It was obvious from the way I handled the gun that I knew nothing about firearms. Tony sold it to me anyway. The whole thing took 7 minutes. As a gratified consumer, I thought, “Well, that was easy.” Then the terrifying reality hit me, “Holy hell, that was EASY.” Too easy. I still knew nothing about firearms.
    It takes longer than 7 minutes just to fill out the 4473. She was foolish for not asking the salesperson if there is training available. And just what is the point she is trying to make?
    Ctger05, Rock and Glock and 84160 like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

It should be easy to get a firearm. With no paperwork at all. Shall not be infringed and all that. That shes an idiot who knows nothing about a gun buying to prove its too easy proves zip. Someone that has no interest in guns wont be spending the money to get one.

Anymore than a person who never intends to weld will pay for a welding machine. This is stupid on to many levels to cover it all.
    TVJ and Aceoky like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    As a gratified consumer, I thought, “Well, that was easy.” Then the terrifying reality hit me, “Holy hell, that was EASY.” Too easy. I still knew nothing about firearms.
    "Too" easy? Hell, yes. Why? IT.IS.OUR.RIGHT as citizens. Shouldn't be these ludicrous unconstitutional hoops, impediments, costs and infringements in the first place.

Her "terror" is grossly misplaced, though: the truly terrifying thing is that the average felon who isn't buying a weapon at the local gun shop is essentially going to some contact down the street and acquiring one there, acquiring one with a S/N not traceable/trackable to that felon. And, just as "terrifying" to me? She believes the pap that cracking down more on upstanding citizens who do go to local gun shops is going to solve a dang thing with respect to what felons do. She's attempting to spend 30 days learning what it's like to be a responsible carrying citizen. She should take the rest of her life to learn what it's like to be a responsible citizen who avoids destruction of the Constitution. That'd be good. Far more beneficial, too.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I read the whole thing and the comments and gun owners are playing right into this lady and her fellow harpies hands. Get lessons, training, blah blah.

She did sort of hang herself since she says that she is doing the minimum she has too to be legal and be PREPARED TO DEFEND HERSELF. Now in any sentient beings world that means at least knowing how to load unload and fire the darn weapon and not shoot ones self in the process. It doesnt take a force on force course of training to get to that point. 15 min with anybody that knows guns will get her to that point and by her own statement that is the level of SD capability shes willing to do. Now let see if anybody points that out to her. In her present state she couldnt defend herself from a angry gerbil with that weapon.

I just hope she doesnt shoot herself in the leg with that Glock. Or maybe I do. No. Bad Ghost. I shouldnt wish something bad on other people especially brainless ones. Im so conflicted
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    The author is appalled that freedom entails personal responsibility.

How tragic that she does not see the danger of her mindset.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    The author is appalled that freedom entails personal responsibility.

How tragic that she does not see the danger of her mindset.
    She apparently prefers serfdom to citizenship. Dangerous mindset, indeed.

Of course, I'm guessing that she probably feels sufficiently responsible such that no real infringements to free speech should exist (as they don't, really). She's neatly leveraging that right by spewing such drivel. But she quakes in her boots over the thought that the other liberties should be equally devoid of infringements, that all liberties entail personal responsibility and citizenship to retain them. She needs to think in the deep end of the pool, for awhile, on the real meaning of that, and the real threat she's calling down on everyone by wishing some totalitarian, no-rights variant of citizenship were in-place instead.
    blitzburgh and Aceoky like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Most shocking thing I read: her dog is licensed. IMO, dogs should not drive. Talk about dangerous...
    006.9V2.1 and carracer like this.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Right out of the gate she is breaking her own fourth rule!
    Ogre likes this.

I wrote this reply, it is still "waiting moderation", but we'll see if it clears their moderators.

Please tell me you see the irony in that statement? You cannot simply go buy a gun, do nothing, learn nothing and be prepared to use the gun in self defense. It's a flawed premise from the start, based on flawed conditions she's self imposed. Hair dryers in bathtubs kill people too, should there be a course requirement before the purchase of a hair dryer?

Freedom entails personal responsibility. If your purchase a weapon, it is your responsibility to learn how to correctly use the weapon. If you buy an RV it is your responsibility to learn how to drive the RV. You do have a moral obligation to learn the firearm you purchase, but legislation cannot enforce morality. When you attempt to legislate morality, you purchase an illusion of safety and at the cost of the freedom of all the law abiding citizens within the jurosdiction of the moral law. It's always a bad deal.

I carry a gun every day, always except when law forbids it. There is always a bullet in the chamber and spare magazines on my belt. Always. I am prepared to defend the lives of my family and friends if I'm ever presented with a situation that I need to. I hope to god that the situation never presents itself. I feel that it is my moral obligation to my family to be prepared for the worst, even if we all hope for the best.

It takes much more than carrying a gun to be prepared to defend my family, however. You must be able to use the gun effectively. To accomplish this I shoot at a minimum twice a month and conduct self defense drills with my firearm. It costs me at least 200 bullets a month, and bullets nowadays are almost $.50 a piece. Is it worth it? I hope not, but if I ever need it, it sure as heck will be.

I also know several people who carry weapons daily. Every single one of them, without exception, takes the responsibility seriously, trains with the firearm and is competent with the firearm. I would be shocked to know anyone who carries a weapon that does not know how to employ the weapon. It simply is not realistic. Does it happen? Maybe, but I'm certain that someone in the authors situation, feeling what the author describes, would seek training. It's irrational to act otherwise. And let's face it, no law can prevent irrational behavior.

Why would you require someone like myself to take a class to purchase a firearm? I'm already knowledgeable in the use of the firearm. Classes aren't free. For many gun owners the cost of buying a gun and ammunition is a strain on an already tight budget. Should the right to defend one's self and family be restricted to only the top income earners? Do we want to creat a caste system where less fortunate individuals are less capable of providing for their own security? Should armed security be limited only to wealthy individuals who can afford it, or is my family also entitled security?

How many cases have you heard of where an idiot has bought a gun and shot himself or another because he was just plain stupid and lacked the training on the firearm? I'm sure it's happened, but I believe the elephant in the room is not accidental discharges of weapons, but instead deliberate and malicious attacks by crazies homicidal individuals. The best way to stop evil is to be prepared to face evil. You face evil with overwhelming training and capabilities. As an average built man, I can only gain a physical advantage over a larger man by having an effective weapon at my disposal, and being prepared to use it.

Just another misguided idiot.
    fredg53 likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Histrionic attention-seeker.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    Histrionic attention-seeker.
    I had to look that one up, nice.

We all know her motivations, I'm just wondering if she'll learn something while she's at it.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links