Everyone's HELP needed...Santa Fe New Mexico proposing mag ban!

This is a discussion on Everyone's HELP needed...Santa Fe New Mexico proposing mag ban! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here in Santa Fe New Mexico they are trying to pass a high capacity mag ban (influenced by NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s gun control coalition) ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Stoveman
  • 1 Post By suntzu
  • 1 Post By shadowwalker
  • 1 Post By bigpapa
  • 2 Post By mkuisi8mo

Thread: Everyone's HELP needed...Santa Fe New Mexico proposing mag ban!

Exclamation Everyone's HELP needed...Santa Fe New Mexico proposing mag ban!

Here in Santa Fe New Mexico they are trying to pass a high capacity mag ban (influenced by NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s gun control coalition) and we need the support of everyone, not just those who live here to help stop this infringement upon our rights. I don't want to see New Mexico fall into the same deep dark hole that Colorado recently fell into.

Please read these brief articles and take a few moments to visit the last link and sign the petition, your support is greatly appreciated!

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation/2013/6/new-mexico-your-santa-fe-city-council-attempting-to-ban-standard-capacity-magazines.aspx?s=santa+fe&st=&ps=

http://nmgoa.org/index.php/78-nmgoa/...e-magazine-ban

https://www.change.org/petitions/san...ine-limitation

2. Remove Ads

New Mexico has state preemption of firearms laws, so local governments may not restrict the possession or use of firearms. So what is the purpose of this local action?
    NRA Patron Member
    GOA Life Member
    Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.

Quote Originally Posted by pipedream View Post
    New Mexico has state preemption of firearms laws, so local governments may not restrict the possession or use of firearms. So what is the purpose of this local action?
    Read the linked articles & online petition!

Quote Originally Posted by mkuisi8mo View Post
    Read the linked articles!
    I have. What is your worry. Each article says that the state has preemtion. It would end up in court and be deemed unconstituional IAW the New Mexico Constitution.

These are from each article.

Additionally, this local prohibition ignores the plain-letter protections guaranteed by Article II, Section 6 of the New Mexico Constitution, which reads:

“No law shall abridge the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful purposes, but nothing herein shall be held to permit the carrying of concealed weapons. No municipality or county shall regulate, in any way, an incident of the right to keep and bear arms.”
    You should also know that this will likely not stand up to a trial because of the state preemption of all local laws concerning the regulation of firearms ownership and carrying.
    This bill is preempted by the state of New Mexico and therefore is unconstitutional.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    Santa Fe is a wonderful place that is infested by libs. Tragic.
    mkuisi8mo and atctimmy like this.

I understand your problem politicians abide by the law only if it's convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I have. What is your worry. Each article says that the state has preemtion. It would end up in court and be deemed unconstituional IAW the New Mexico Constitution.

These are from each article.
    It means a long and expensive legal battle which the gun owners of Santa Fe or New Mexico can ill afford to pursue. Be sure to add your voice to the petition, and take the time to email all of the city councilors listed in the linked list.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    With such language written into the state Constitution, I would think that spending tax dollars on drafting bills like this would be a deliberate waste. If the law makers don't know about the language of the state Constitution, they must be willfully ignorant or too lazy to care. Either way, anyone responsible for such a thing should be recalled or voted out. There's no point in spending tax dollars on a protest bill, if that's the case.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

I make it a personal policy to not get involved in local and state politics, 2A or otherwise. Yes, I know that folks with money get involved on either side that don't live there. But, here is my reasoning.

I don't want folks from outside my state/county/town to try to manipulate or influence a vote in a way that I am opposed to. I see it all the time in NH. Flatlanders from MA, NY, and Conn try to influence local policies and statutes. So why should I get involved in the local politics of another city?
    atctimmy likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    It is truly a shame and I feel for the honest people but NM has been on this path as many states are including mine for sometime. Hopefully come 2014 some of the ones that are in office will be kicking cans down the road.
    mkuisi8mo likes this.

It's not going to just stop here, their will be more liberal trying to pass this law in other states.
    mkuisi8mo likes this.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

Libs moving out California because it has become so hosed up showing Santa Fe how things should be.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member
    Additionally, this local prohibition ignores the plain-letter protections guaranteed by Article II, Section 6 of the New Mexico Constitution, which reads:

“No law shall abridge the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful purposes, but nothing herein shall be held to permit the carrying of concealed weapons. No municipality or county shall regulate, in any way, an incident of the right to keep and bear arms.”
    I can see them arguing that the magazine is not the firearm, and therefore banning them is not an infringement.

Well hell. I thought Santa Fe would be a great spot to relocate from this liberal infested snake-pit. Guess not.

I added my name. Consider me in after all of the help some members here gave me in Colorado!

Links