Wounded Warrior Project is Anti-Gun? - Page 3

Wounded Warrior Project is Anti-Gun?

This is a discussion on Wounded Warrior Project is Anti-Gun? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by chuckusaret As a combat veteran with a service connected disability I have used the VA medical system since I retired from the ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Wounded Warrior Project is Anti-Gun?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    As a combat veteran with a service connected disability I have used the VA medical system since I retired from the service in 1977. First I must say that I have received outstanding medical care. My local 200 bed VA hospital provides the best service possible but has far more patients than they can handle. This does not reduce the quality of medical care provided but does extend the appointment wait times. The VA provide same day labwork and all imaging from within the facility, not so in the majority of civilian facilities. How many civilian 200 bed hospitals provide medical assistance to 250,000 plus patients per year and have full on site lab and imaging service? Not many. In my wife's case after waiting several weeks for a doctors appoint, then several weeks for a lab/imaging appointment, then a week or more for the results and then another week or so for a consultation with the doctor it is no better than the services provide by the VA and not to mention the added costs, which by the way increased by 21% this year with a projected increase of >15% next year when Obamacare kicks in.
    The VA encompasses more than medical care....many folks forget that. Everybody's experience may vary
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    The VA encompasses more than medical care....many folks forget that. Everybody's experience may vary
    Yes, and I use them when I have a need. The only service that I have used that I would consider unsatisfactory is their disability claims service. My neighbor is one of the local Veterans Service Officers and he keeps me well informed on all services offered.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Many years ago I had a friend. He was hard core selfish type. He up and quit his job one day and went to work for the Red cross. Talk about a shock.
    Latter he explained it to me. Best scam going ,you work your way up and the cash rolls in for doing nothing. At that time one of the directors (und raiser) out west was paid 250K a year plus a private limo and extras. Last I knew he was still with them working his scam.
    Same stuff with projects like WWP. best way in the world to scam money is work for a non profit claiming to do good.

I agree with another about beating down the VA. I am a DV and the care I do receive is pretty good, but it is the government red tape I am not happy with. It took me years of fighting and applying to get my disability rating. The fighting and re-applying shouldn't ever happen. This is not about the VA but the government not providing veteran service when these people provided service to their country.
    chuckusaret likes this.
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsky109 View Post
    I agree with another about beating down the VA. I am a DV and the care I do receive is pretty good, but it is the government red tape I am not happy with. It took me years of fighting and applying to get my disability rating. The fighting and re-applying shouldn't ever happen. This is not about the VA but the government not providing veteran service when these people provided service to their country.
    I am forced to use the Bay Pines Fl. VA center and IMO it is the most inefficient service provider that I have ever used. 18 months for copies of my service medical records. Eight years to get my disability rating changed after they told me that it had been calculated wrong and then only allowed a three year look back on monies owed to me even though it was their error.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Very sad to learn this. I will find another avenue to donate to my fellow veterans and those who were injured. The DAV is just such a way.
    The three most important components of stopping power are: bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement.
    -Evan Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    I am forced to use the Bay Pines Fl. VA center and IMO it is the most inefficient service provider that I have ever used. 18 months for copies of my service medical records. Eight years to get my disability rating changed after they told me that it had been calculated wrong and then only allowed a three year look back on monies owed to me even though it was their error.
    For over 10 years I had to travel 120 miles to the nearest VA facility. Yes they paid per diem but that is over and hour drive each way. Then it was an all day affair. I do not live in a small town, in fact it is one of the 4 major cities in this state. VA finally has a clinic in my town, but alas no professional for my disability so I see a Physician Assistant or one of the Dr. there but they always send me to the VA facility 120 miles away. Yippee!!! and No I will not move. LOL....

I too tried to add to my DV rating since the VA messed up my initial rating. They pretty much told me I was out of luck since it had been so long and they would never change my rating, just add to the care. NICE! I gave up. I wonder how many others just give up?

I am sure it isn't the VA but the governments regulations that prohibit the VA from "helping". Seems inefficient and not helping much.
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

A lot of people confuse the "Wounded Warrior PROJECT" with the "Wounded Warrior PROGRAM". They sound like the same thing, but they are worlds apart. If you notice, Gary Sinise found out about the WWP and stays away from them.

http://wtc.army.mil/aw2/

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    That's interesting Chuck. I'll have to look into their expenses because that does make a difference. I don't know much about Fisher House but I'll look into that one too.

There's a web site that compares and contrasts charitable organizations but I can't remember the name of it. I think Dave Ramsey mentioned it on his show one time.
    Jeanlouise,

Fisher House provides low to no cost accommodations to the families of wounded service members while they are in the hospital at various regional military treatment facilities. Here is a link to the one close to me Fisher House of the Emerald Coast - located on Eglin Air Force Base. From their website:

Because members of the military and their families are stationed worldwide and must often travel great distances for specialized medical care, Fisher House™ Foundation donates "comfort homes," built on the grounds of major military and VA medical centers. These homes enable family members to be close to a loved one at the most stressful time - during the hospitalization for an unexpected illness, disease, or injury.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - T. Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge65 View Post
    Jeanlouise,

Fisher House provides low to no cost accommodations to the families of wounded service members while they are in the hospital at various regional military treatment facilities. Here is a link to the one close to me Fisher House of the Emerald Coast - located on Eglin Air Force Base. From their website:
    Thanks Sarge! I had heard the name but didn't know much about it. Sounds like the military version of the "Ronald McDonald" house.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Thanks Sarge! I had heard the name but didn't know much about it. Sounds like the military version of the "Ronald McDonald" house.
    Glad I could help. The nice thing about Fisher House, even when located on the installation, it allows the parents of a service member to stay even if the only affiliation to the military is through their son/daughter.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - T. Jefferson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links