A Secret Service agent is going to lose his job...

This is a discussion on A Secret Service agent is going to lose his job... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...V&SECTION=HOME Bush's daughter robbed in Argentina AP Photo/TINA FINEBERG BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) -- U.S. and Argentine media reported that one of President Bush's 24-year-old ...

Thread: A Secret Service agent is going to lose his job...

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

A Secret Service agent is going to lose his job...

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...V&SECTION=HOME

Bush's daughter robbed in Argentina
    AP Photo/TINA FINEBERG

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) -- U.S. and Argentine media reported that one of President Bush's 24-year-old twin daughters had her purse stolen while being guarded by the Secret Service during a visit here.

ABC News, citing unidentified law enforcement reports, reported on its Web site Tuesday that Barbara Bush's purse and cell phone were taken while she was dining in a Buenos Aires restaurant.

La Nacion newspaper, citing anonymous government sources, said in its online edition early Wednesday that one of Bush's daughters had her purse taken Sunday afternoon in the popular tourist district of San Telmo.

A pair of thieves removed the purse from under a table while Secret Service agents stood guard at a distance, La Nacion reported. La Nacion said its sources did not reveal which of the Bush daughters had her purse stolen.

Argentine police told The Associated Press they had no complaint of any such incident on file, and the U.S. Embassy in Buenos Aires said it would have no comment. In Washington, the White House, Secret Service and State Department also declined comment.

CNN cited a law-enforcement source who was briefed on the incident as saying that "at no point were the protectees out of visual contact and at no point was there any risk of harm."

Argentina's largest-circulation daily, Clarin, ran an online report citing the government news agency Telam as saying that Barbara Bush had her purse taken along with a cell phone that was inside it. Telam cited an official source who did not wish to be identified by name and who provided no other details.

Barbara's twin, Jenna, visited neighboring Paraguay last month to take part in a UNICEF program for young professionals.
    Last edited by srfl; November 22nd, 2006 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Remove spaces between paragraphs...so post is easier to read.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    SS is designated to protect people not purses. Even if they did view the purse being stolen, their concern would be with the protected.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

They stole an unattended purse. Not SS job like Rocky said. However, a smash and grab and the dude wouold be toast.
    -Biker

My opinion is that the Secret Service have an impossible job to begin with. They are required to allow her unrestricted movement while protecting her at the same time.

I remember when one of my wife's coworkers went to a community theater performance and Laura Bush walked in and sat next to her. She was accompanied by 4 SS agents. Well. . . there could have been more but only 4 in suits and "acting" like security.

Living in Northern Virginia, I have been lucky enough to see Regan and Bush Sr. traveling through DC and the protective force around them is massive.

It wouldn't be financially feasible to provide this kind of protection to every dignitary.

If a bad guy is willing to die to take out a protectee, there isn't much of a way to stop them.

Hope this doesn't end the careers of the agents.

Big deal her purse was stolen, I am sure she can afford to purchase another one and new cell phone. I personally don't think tax dollars should be spent to follow these gals or many other people in the first place.

They aren't elected and are not in service to our country in any way. Association to public officials in my opinion doesn't warrant 24/7 security. If someone feels danger for thier family, then they shouldn't be in public office.

If the Secret Service was to chase after purse snatchers that would be a great scenario to lower the number of protectors opening up the daughter or whomever for attack.

Again, big deal she lost her purse, and cell phone
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    They aren't elected and are not in service to our country in any way. Association to public officials in my opinion doesn't warrant 24/7 security. If someone feels danger for thier family, then they shouldn't be in public office.
    So maybe, only Single people should go into public office. The fact that they have a family and makes a reasonable effort to ensure their safety doesn't pose a problem for me. How many times have we heard stories of BG using family to get at the GG. Our elected officials don't need any more distractions. I don't think it's fear only prudence.

For the Pres., V.P., U.S. Sen/Reps., etc.. the security detachment provided by the U.S.S.S. should extend to their families as well. I wouldn't be opposed to a portion of their salary witheld to offset some of the expense though.

MikeV

I would be more concerned witht the phone numbers that were on her cell phone. That might be interesting!
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

I wonder if she had Paris Hilton's number?

I wonder when the robber is going to post the photo's from the cell.

If You Mess With The Bull...

These guys make one phone call and I'm fairly certain a '500 lb bomb' will track the signal...not really...but it would be nice.
    One would think that a Bush daughter's phone would have some kind of tracking device...

Got to give these guys credit for having a 'set'...huge ones...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that when they opened her wallet and saw who she was, they loaded their pants.

Purse snatcher in restaurant. They probably had no idea whose purse they took. I mean it's not like she is as recognizable as lets say... Shakira or some one like that.
    Last edited by MIKEV; November 22nd, 2006 at 01:00 PM. Reason: correction in location of event

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    SS is designated to protect people not purses. Even if they did view the purse being stolen, their concern would be with the protected.
    If they can take the purse, what are the odds they could have put it back with something added, like maybe a small explosive, or maybe just poison in the Tictacs?

I'd be looking hard at the agents on that detail if they're not paying better attention to things that are likely to come in contact with her.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    My opinion is that the Secret Service have an impossible job to begin with. They are required to allow her unrestricted movement while protecting her at the same time.
    ....Laura Bush walked in and sat next to her. She was accompanied by 4 SS agents. Well. . . there could have been more but only 4 in suits and "acting" like security.

Sorry for the HiJack
    ... I'll post a new thread in OT Section
    I was very fortunate to attend the Commissioning of the
    USS TEXAS SSN 775
    in Galveston, TX in late September of this year and Laura Bush, as well as Kay Bailey Hutchison, and John Cornyn attended the event.
    I've got a bunch of pic of SS all over the place it was crazy, yet very awsome @ the same time.

I know there were at least 5 in plain clothes and quite a few more in suits looking all secuirty like.

I'll post some pics on a new thread.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kd5nrh View Post
    If they can take the purse, what are the odds they could have put it back with something added, like maybe a small explosive, or maybe just poison in the Tictacs?

I'd be looking hard at the agents on that detail if they're not paying better attention to things that are likely to come in contact with her.

Yes, I wasn't so concerned with the purse as how did some thief get so close to a protectee.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Wonder if the purse and phone have hit Ebay yet?

Links