Sadly it would appear that I'm going to have to add the UFC to my boycott list.

This is a discussion on Sadly it would appear that I'm going to have to add the UFC to my boycott list. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The UFC appears to be supporting Glover Teixeira and his support of the "common sense" gun control push. The UFC hosts his anti-2A commercial on ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Sadly it would appear that I'm going to have to add the UFC to my boycott list.

VIP Member

Sadly it would appear that I'm going to have to add the UFC to my boycott list.

The UFC appears to be supporting Glover Teixeira and his support of the "common sense" gun control push. The UFC hosts his anti-2A commercial on their website and they've even promoted it on Facebook.

Demand Action ? UFC Superstar Glover Teixeira | UFC &reg - Media

Time to send in some letters and withdraw my financial support...

It does kinda make me wonder if this is an attempt to get New York legislature on their side so they can get MMA legalized in NY (Demand Action and Bloomberg are like flies and...). Not that it matters much, they can wither away and turn to dust for all I care. The UFC won't see another dime of my money if this is the political ideology they choose to support.

Worst part is that buffoon Teixeira isn't even American. Really??? Like anyone gives a pile of horse droppings what a non-American thinks about our Constitution and our rights guaranteed therein. Stay in Brazil if you don't care for our laws... Oh that's right, Brazil has a violent crime rate over 4 times higher than the USA, more unregistered, illegal guns than legal ones, and much stricter gun control laws than the US. Guess a few too many hits to the cranium has jostled the "common sense" meter a little too much.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I would be very interested to hear Dana White's view on this. FWIW. Here is an article from April 16, 2013.

http://www.armoryblog.com/news/dana-...anies-back-in/

Posted using Tapatalk.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I would assume that he wore the Sig t-shirt for one reason alone, $$$$$$$$. During my sons racing days he received kick backs for wearing a a certain hat, certain t-shirt and got big bucks if he made mention of certain companies while being interviewed on the winners podium. He seldom had the opportunity to stand on the podium
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Never watch the crap. Consider the participants to sadistic barbarians. The public raises hell when boxer is killed in the ring, but this sort of brutality only seems to attract a crowd. No less civilized than the Roman Coliseum.
    gtfoxy and gregivq like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Never watch the crap. Consider the participants to sadistic barbarians. The public raises hell when boxer is killed in the ring, but this sort of brutality only seems to attract a crowd. No less civilized than the Roman Coliseum.
    Except for the rules, lack of weapons and not being a fight to the death. Other than that, no less civilized.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Except for the rules, lack of weapons and not being a fight to the death. Other than that, no less civilized.
    Lol!

It is a sport, just like boxing. Folks choose to participate and others choose to watch. I am not a big fan of MMA but watch it with my son. I used to box from 16 to 22 years old.

I look at it like this: runners compete to test their skill against others, chess players the same. Swimmers, gymnasts, all have skills. Boxers also. I do not dispute the barbarism of it, since the point of the sport is obvious. But, think about this: look at every pro athlete and the journey that got them there. Kids today in baseball are ruingin their arms at a young age pitching because coaches abuse them, gymnasts have a hosts of injuries, and some are not only career ending, they are disabling. Football and hockey players play with concussions because coaches and parents either are ignorant about, or ignore the symptoms.

I played hockey, lacrosse, boxed, and ran cross country. Out of all of the those sports (and beleive it or not cross country), my boxing coaches always seemed to care about my health more than the other coaches. My son is interested in MMA and I have met the folks where he trains. They are pretty upstanding folks and care about the fighters.

One thing about MMA I like over boxing is the sportsmanship and class of the fighters. There is much mutual reespect and not much trash talking like in boxing..and in tennis these days LOL (Y! SPORTS). I am sure that will change eventually, sadly. But to each his own. My own sister wouldn't come to a boxing match.

OT: I will still watch MMA. There are getting to be way too many things to boycot. Plus, I doubt there will be a serious dent with boycotting since there is no real competitor to go to. UFC is by far the largest...before then it was Pride.
    hammer2213 and Tzadik like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    No less civilized than the Roman Coliseum.
    Perspective. Rome WAS the most civilized place on the Earth at the time, hands down. They actually had written laws there, there were citizens who had rights, and everyone was not the property of the strongest (king). As barbaric and backwards as they seem to us, don't forget that outside those city walls it darkness, pain, and suffering on a scale that makes the arena seem like a Bible study.

Unless you personally know fighters, don't judge their breed. I and many of my friends are fighters, as well as my father. He is and air force veteran of 23 years and many more that are very successful members of society. Rich Franklin former UFC champ was a school teacher. It takes a special kind of person to climb into that cage/ring. A true test of what you are made of. Untill you are willing to do the same don't judge those that do.
    Last edited by OD*; June 24th, 2013 at 09:23 PM.
    Pistology likes this.

Followup: It is a barbaric sport.....that does not mean that folks participate are sadistic barbarains. War is barbaric, but soldiers are not barbarians.
    Hopyard and BenGoodLuck like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    Perspective. Rome WAS the most civilized place on the Earth at the time, hands down. They actually had written laws there, there were citizens who had rights, and everyone was not the property of the strongest (king). As barbaric and backwards as they seem to us, don't forget that outside those city walls it darkness, pain, and suffering on a scale that makes the arena seem like a Bible study.
    And I'm sure the Christians being fed to the lions appreciated having to die by the rules. Being the most civilized doesn't necessarily translate as being civilized. But if some of you wish to get in a ring and beat someone bloody, knock them senseless, or choke them into unconsciousness--or watch such an enlightening spectacle--have at it. It's not being served up on my dish. I'd like to reserve such efforts as a last resort.
    Hopyard and gtfoxy like this.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Followup: It is a barbaric sport.....that does not mean that folks participate are sadistic barbarains. War is barbaric, but soldiers are not barbarians.
    I'd like to hold our military to a higher level and purpose than UFC, but that doesn't mean some participants aren't brutal and sadistic--either way.
    CIBMike likes this.

I like the Romans, they had orgies.
    “A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
    ― Edward R. Murrow

Distinguished Member
    What UFC Superstar du jure, Glover Teixeira, says, as one of countless UFC fighters, doesn't motivate me to boycott my gym. Dana White, despite a business deal with FOX that excludes weapons and hunting sport sponsors, seems worthy of my support. Who says what in a crowd of free-speaking folks, or who sponsors who won't matter in a fight for my life. Turn off the TV and train.
    CIBMike likes this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

And I'm sure the Christians being fed to the lions appreciated having to die by the rules. Being the most civilized doesn't necessarily translate as being civilized. But if some of you wish to get in a ring and beat someone bloody, knock them senseless, or choke them into unconsciousness--or watch such an enlightening spectacle--have at it. It's not being served up on my dish. I'd like to reserve such efforts as a last resort.
    And how will you know you have the ability to use them as a last resort when you have not tested them! Fighters do it because they love it. To compare it to christians being fed to lions is ridiculous! Fighters do it to test themselves against each other. It also helps a lot of people. I myself was a fairly angry agressive kid. I was smaller than most kids my age with red hair and freckles. People tried to "bully" me. But I was never one to stand down. It got me in plenty of trouble. My dad got me into MMA and boxing at 15, by 16 I hit a ridiculous growth spurt, gained 30lbs of muscle and grew about 6 inches. With all my training I gained a lot of confidence in my ability to defend myself. I didn't need to beat up some punk in high school I knew i could make him look stupid and seriously hurt him why prove it. I walked away from a lot of fights after training. I mean I fighting professional cage fighters everyday at 15 what could some gangster punk my age really do to me. So I would let them do their talking and smile and let it go. Without MMA who knows what kind of teenager I would have been or what kind of person I would be now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links