Defensive Carry banner

Crunch Time: North Carolina HB937

841 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  GhostMaker 
#1 ·
Everyone who lives in North Carolina, please contact your representatives and the governor(*) regarding your support for HB937 which amongst other things will eliminate the prohibition on restaurants and places that charge admission, and allow vehicle weapon storage on educational property. The bill has passed both the house and the senate, but was modified in the senate to eliminate the pistol purchase permit system, which is a left over, outdated and abused Jim Crow era provision. This move has caused a lot of controversy, much of which was generated by a lobbyist for the Sheriff's association that stands to loose if this passes. The bill is currently sitting in the rules and operations committee which meets on Wednesdays at 1pm. The word seems to be that this bill should come up for a concurrency vote (meaning the house accepts the bill as passed by the senate) either this week or next week.

Here is the latest update link from Grassroots NC.

(*)Tell the governor to support this bill when it hits his desk and that any concerns about revival of the PPP program should be taken up with new legislation in the next session. Also consider calling the chair and vice-chairs for the rules and calendar committee (where the bill is sitting).
Speaker of the house
Tills office - 919 733 3451

Rules Committee
Chair
Moore - 919 733 4838
Vice Chairs
Burr - 919 733 5908
Stam - 919 733 2962
Lastly, you may wish to contact your sheriff and ask them to support the bill.

See less See more
#2 ·
Everyone who lives in North Carolina, please contact your representatives and the governor(*) regarding your support for HB937 which amongst other things will eliminate the prohibition on restaurants and places that charge admission, and allow vehicle weapon storage on educational property. The bill has passed both the house and the senate, but was modified in the senate to eliminate the pistol purchase permit system, which is a left over, outdated and abused Jim Crow era provision. This move has caused a lot of controversy, much of which was generated by a lobbyist for the Sheriff's association that stands to loose if this passes. The bill is currently sitting in the rules and operations committee which meets on Wednesdays at 1pm. The word seems to be that this bill should come up for a concurrency vote (meaning the house accepts the bill as passed by the senate) either this week or next week.

Here is the latest update link from Grassroots NC.

(*)Tell the governor to support this bill when it hits his desk and that any concerns about revival of the PPP program should be taken up with new legislation in the next session. Also consider calling the chair and vice-chairs for the rules and calendar committee (where the bill is sitting).

Lastly, you may wish to contact your sheriff and ask them to support the bill.
With the last bit of backlash I think right now they are afraid to vote on it..I fear it will be "in committee" for a while until the winds calm down. hope I am wrong...but........................................

#5 ·
IMO, the backlash they need to remember is we got tired of watching the other party let them die in committee. And we were part of the sea change in Raleigh. They need to keep earning our support, not take it for granted. And Tillis has higher aspirations. He will need that support again later.

From what I have heard Tillis's office is about 99% for the bill. I just made my thoughts known via phone and email. Trying to get my Rep on the phone, but left a VM too. He supported the original bill. I want to see that support continue.

Reactions: blitzburgh
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.