2A - CNN Anti Gun Hit Piece of the day

2A - CNN Anti Gun Hit Piece of the day

This is a discussion on 2A - CNN Anti Gun Hit Piece of the day within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Real Title: Five things to know about guns By Tom Watkins, CNN June 29, 2013 (CNN) -- This weekend, Morgan Spurlock's "Inside Man" gives CNN ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 2A - CNN Anti Gun Hit Piece of the day

  1. #1
    VIP Member
    Array ANGLICO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Posts
    3,670

    2A - CNN Anti Gun Hit Piece of the day

    Real Title: Five things to know about guns
    By Tom Watkins, CNN
    June 29, 2013

    (CNN) -- This weekend, Morgan Spurlock's "Inside Man" gives CNN viewers an inside and in-depth look at the issue of firearms -- as viewed from behind the counter of a gun store. Here are five things to know about the debate:

    Watch the Video at the link: Five things to know about guns - CNN.com
    Socialism Kills! Time proven, with a very large body count! We are a Constitutional Republic....... not a Democracy, get it correct!

    Don't be mistaken for a Gecko45: http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

    Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14qTdp-Dd30

    ANGLICO Images


  2. #2
    VIP Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    7,489
    Good lord, the gun clerk with the shotgun was an idiot. The story IMO had little merit as well
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

    Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

  3. #3
    VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    2,171
    Not sure exactly how that one was a "hit piece". The reality is that the information that was presented was accurate. Yes, gun are used to kill people, sorry but that is just a fact. Now the reality is that the vast majority of shootings are one criminal shooting another criminal.

    The only thing I think they should have presented is the part of the CDC report that said an estimate 500,000 to 750,000 violent crimes are prevented by firearms yearly.
    Darrow75 and BadgerJ like this.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Array Darrow75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    609
    Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    Not sure exactly how that one was a "hit piece". The reality is that the information that was presented was accurate. Yes, gun are used to kill people, sorry but that is just a fact. Now the reality is that the vast majority of shootings are one criminal shooting another criminal.

    The only thing I think they should have presented is the part of the CDC report that said an estimate 500,000 to 750,000 violent crimes are prevented by firearms yearly.
    But that wouldn't fit into their narrative...see how that works for both the left and the right...
    maxwell97 likes this.

  5. #5
    VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    2,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrow75 View Post
    But that wouldn't fit into their narrative...see how that works for both the left and the right...
    The reality that both sides ignore facts that don't fit their narratives.
    Darrow75 likes this.

  6. #6
    Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SE Florida
    Posts
    1,627
    The comments by the gun store clerk(s) are typical comments for the shops in my area. One thing I have observed recently is that most new HD gun buyers are purchasing AR style weapons because of low recoil and increased capacity.

    The comment about racking the slide does three things, alerts the bad guy, gives away your position and in most cases gives the bad guy first shot advantage. In the majority of cases a home burglar has prior convictions, and if armed, will do what ever it takes to not be captured. I use a shotgun for HD with a round chambered.......
    sdprof likes this.
    US Army 1953-1977

    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

  7. #7
    VIP Member Array tokerblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,355
    Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    Not sure exactly how that one was a "hit piece". The reality is that the information that was presented was accurate. Yes, gun are used to kill people, sorry but that is just a fact. Now the reality is that the vast majority of shootings are one criminal shooting another criminal.
    - I disagree with point #1. I wouldn't classify suicides as gun violence.

    1 -- There is no debate about the impact of gun violence. In 2010, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention tallied more than 31,000 firearm deaths in the United States. Each year, some 55,000 violent deaths occur in the country, costing $60 billion in medical care and lost productivity, according to the agency. More than 38,000 people in the country are suicides.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

  8. #8
    Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic
    Posts
    1,514
    Many of these 'buzzwords' the antis use are nonsensical. What is gun control? What is gun violence?

    There's already 'violence' going on when a person picks up a weapon and uses it against another. Bat, brick, knife, car, projectile weapon, it is what's handy.

    News reports slant the facts - they take rare events or high profile incidents, or tragedies and use them to push some personal agenda, creating a 'spin' which will help them further a career, create a sensation.

    Look at Biden jumping on the 'gun control' bandwagon, with his shotgun into the air and that went nowhere besides showing what a doofus he is. Now that he's lost that opportunity, he's jumping on Snowden bandwagon. Though not related to guns, it's how unscrupulous politicians grab a cause and use it to get face time. Do you think they REALLY care about the victims or care to solve the problem. Heck no.

  9. #9
    VIP Member Array NC Bullseye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NC Foothills
    Posts
    2,637
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - I disagree with point #1. I wouldn't classify suicides as gun violence.
    Oxford Dictionary Definition of violence
    noun

    behavior involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something.
    Seems to fit to me, but the root cause is mental health as is the root cause of many murders.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

  10. #10
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    27,379
    Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    1 -- There is no debate about the impact of gun violence.
    Have never seen a "violent" gun. Not once, in 40+ years of shooting and 20+ years of carrying. Not a single one. It's hard to have a debate when facts get ignored as the facts they are. No violent guns exist. It's a fantasy, for politically-motivated reasons of citizen disarmament.

    I've seen misused ones, abused ones, forgotten ones (left loaded and unattended, stacked precariously upon a ledge or against a wall). But never a "violent" one. Never, unless a violent person grabs hold of that tool, much like a chainsaw, a hammer, ice pick, rock, bat, tire iron, fist, knee, boot heel, ...

    We have a people violence problem, pure and simple. And it occurs for a myriad of reasons, ranging from psychoses to economics, from lack of education to lack of opportunities, from destructive relationships in their lives to bad burritos. Arms aren't the problem. (As cars and imbibing aren't the problem, with drunken drivers. Drunken drivers and their behaviors, their choice to become drunk then driving are the problem.)

    Violent felons who believe preying upon others is justifiable, by whatever means they choose, are the problem. Sure, many of them do indeed select a firearm as one available tool, given the utility and effectiveness. But most effective tools in the hands of a violent predator will kill, merely given the lack of compunction and desire to do so. It's not as though violent felons would cease being violent if they were simply lacking this or that tool. And it's not as though erasing citizens' lawful rights to acquire arms (even if that erasure were constitutional or lawful in any way) would have much effect on felons, given the hundreds of millions of available arms on the street right now, and given the ability of felons to simply select from a variety of other tools with which they could still be deadly.


    Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    But, more than six months after 20 children and six adults were killed in Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, legislative efforts to stem the impact of gun violence have failed to gain traction. "The public's attention has moved on."
    Absolutely. Thankfully so.

    Tens of millions of citizens have basically awakened to the simple fact that the hirelings they've temporarily placed in administrative and legislative capacities in their states and DC are in gross breach of their sworn oaths to protect and defend the Constitution and are instead seeking to destroy it, circumvent it, sidestep it, weaken it and otherwise obliterate the ability of citizens to keep and bear/carry arms in their own defense.

    Those hirelings should focus on one thing, in this area: crime elimination, criminal elimination.

    Disarming citizens against crime will only clear the field ahead of criminal predators. Hardly a recipe for success.

    Unless, that is, success by these unconstitutional hirelings is measured in terms of how many citizens they can turn into "sacrificial lambs" wholly incapable of defending against predators. Could this be the motive and the measure of success for these hired predators? Ya think?


    Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    2 -- Much of what we know is outdated.
    Sure, because the asinine complex of reasons behind what makes felons felons is not a simple question.

    But having the ability to effectively withstand and survive predation is a timeless concept. You either do, or you don't. It's largely unrelated to why felons act feloniously and violently. And to the extent that one doesn't have any such capability, one can find it decidedly more difficult to survive such violence. Surprise. That'll never change. It's the simple interaction of what occurs in a predator-prey situation the world over. It's Nature's law. No amount of dithering and hand-wringing by liberty-hating hirelings, nor screaming by the ignorant and fearful few, will ever change that.


    Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    3 -- But more studies may be in the cards.
    There have been plenty of "studies" and reports for decades as to causal factors of violence and crime. There just hasn't been much government-funded, government-guided, government-skewed variations of such things. Rightly so, given the liberty-hating policy and goals of our government, to strip citizens of all practical ability to defend themselves against all comers and to defend the Constitution and our sovereign states and nation with all means at our disposal (by force, if need be). It is what it is. And none of that will change the utility or viability of all other research into violence and crime that's done elsewhere.


    Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    The Obama administration has signaled it wants to resume such efforts.
    Sure. 'Cause the liberty-haters have so far failed to disarm the citizens who've hired them. Crimes against the Constitution are still needed, in order to come anywhere near achieving this. And the first step is to find more ammo for bringing our liberties under heavier fire. It is what it is.


    Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    4 -- If you choose to own a gun, do it responsibly.
    Yup. That'll never change.

    And violent felons will continue to be violent felons, no matter whether citizens are targeted by their own hirelings or not, whether felons find it more or less expensive to be armed. About the only thing that'll help a targeted victim under an upraised knife is, quite simply, having the practical, effective means on the instant of being under that knife of being able to survive the attack. Nothing else really matters, in terms of the citizen's effective ability at that moment.

    One fact remains true: disarming victims cannot reduce the number of victims.

    Said another way: What is the point ... crime reduction, or decreasing victims' ability to survive it?


    Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    5 -- Reasons for owning a gun have changed.
    Not hardly.

    Predation hasn't changed. Being under an "upraised knife" hasn't changed. The desire to survive such things hasn't changed. About the only real thing that has changed in the past 20yrs is the vast increase in the number of citizens waking up and smelling the cess pool, realizing nobody but they have the practical ability on the instant of crime to withstand such crime. No real way around that, no matter how much hatred for liberty a person has, or how much evisceration of the Constitution a citizen is willing to sponsor or accept.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; June 30th, 2013 at 07:09 AM. Reason: clarity
    vilecanards likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  11. #11
    VIP Member Array nedrgr21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    3,730
    The info in the article is not accurate - except for the death stats it is based on studies that have been shown to be biased and poorly designed. Why should the same agency that screwed up the studies in the past be given more money for more biased studies.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Array GraySkies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    621
    Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    The only thing I think they should have presented is the part of the CDC report that said an estimate 500,000 to 750,000 violent crimes are prevented by firearms yearly.
    Incidents in which a family member is killed or injured by a gun in the home far outnumber the times when a gun is used to injure or kill an intruder in self-defense, Kellermann said.
    Notice the language used here: "to injure or kill an intruder in self-defense", chosen VERY carefully to deliberately skirt the statement quoted above. It's all about the agenda, not the facts.
    "Freedom and discipline have come to be regarded as mutually exclusive, when in fact freedom is not at all the opposite, but the final reward of discipline" - Elisabeth Elliot

    "While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly" 1Thess 5:3

  13. #13
    Member Array nechaev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    128
    Why should people own firearms for self defense when the violent crime rate has been dropping since 1993? Contradiction much? The piece first cites that the violent (gun) crime rate is way out of control, then bends back to say that there is no reason to own firearms for self defense since the violent crime rate is so low. How about a correlation between the decrease of violent crime and the increase in the purchase and use of defensive firearms? Once again, figures don't lie, but liars can figure.

  14. #14
    VIP Member Array maxwell97's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,662
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Tens of millions of citizens have basically awakened to the simple fact that the hirelings they've temporarily placed in administrative and legislative capacities in their states and DC are in gross breach of their sworn oaths to protect and defend the Constitution and are instead seeking to destroy it, circumvent it, sidestep it, weaken it and otherwise obliterate the ability of citizens to keep and bear/carry arms in their own defense.
    A very important point to note. If the record is examined, it will be seen that every major legislative push under this president has been "urgent." The simple reason for this is that, the longer their bills are visible to the public, the less they like them. They have to push their narrative, then use the impetus to ram through legislation before the people have a chance to catch on.

    With the initial post-Sandy Hook bill, the country showed that it's on to them, which is why the POTUS got so shrill in his little speech. It's going to be interesting to watch the finger-pointing when the health care provisions finally take effect, too - when millions of people see their bills skyrocketing, insurance companies going under, and their employers dropping coverage - hoo boy.
    vilecanards and nechaev like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

  15. #15
    Member Array ashamans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Hays, Kansas
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    Yes, gun are used to kill people, sorry but that is just a fact.
    Nope, guns from their invention and today are for saving lives.

    The first use of the gun was yo storm the castle in china to free them from the mongols, a much smaller force was able to do this, swords and sheilds would have has many deaths.

    Untill people get this things will not get better for guns.
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

    If you want peace, prepare for war

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

cnn guns

,

cnn inside man guns bad

,

is morgan spurlock anti second amendment

,

morgan spurlock 2nd amendment

,

morgan spurlock anti gun

,

morgan spurlock gun hit piece

Click on a term to search for related topics.