Defensive Carry banner

New Laws Kick In Tomorrow In CO

2K views 32 replies 25 participants last post by  ScubaSteve08 
#1 ·
So I guess tomorrow we're gonna experience part of Hickenloopers plan for gun control until 2014.

-No magazines greater than 15 rds (all currently owned mags over 15 are legal, just illegal to sell privately or in retail)
-No more private sale of firearms without a background check from an FFL.
-Customer pays the price of the background check of $35
MagPul is gonna have the best public relations event in the world. Who doesn't like free Hi-Cap magazines?!
http://www.denverpost.com/commented/ci_23563059?source=commented-news

#8 ·
I don't know man, I wouldn't necessarily blame the people of CO so much as the people who are running it. We've got a lot of Blue-Blooded folks here, but they sure as hell don't outnumber us. I can OC all day long here and no one really bats an eyelash at me. Hell we've already got 53 sheriffs lined up for a suit against the state and they fully back the opposition to these new bills. And to go on top of that a local group just turned in 16,000+ votes for a recall on the president of the senate John Morse. Now that's progress!

#13 ·
Did any of you Coloradans go to the festival? I'm curious how Magpul handled the giveaway. The article states:

The Erie-based magazine and accessory manufacturer plans to give away 1,500 free 30-round magazines to attendees ages 18 and older at a "A Farewell to Arms" festival on Saturday...The magazines will be dropped from the air onto the crowd.

I'm hoping they didn't just drop the mags from the air. I have to believe that this was a misunderstanding on the part of the author. I think I remember reading something about them planning to give them away at a booth, so they could verify people's age, etc.

#15 ·
Did any of you Coloradans go to the festival? I'm curious how Magpul handled the giveaway. The article states:

The Erie-based magazine and accessory manufacturer plans to give away 1,500 free 30-round magazines to attendees ages 18 and older at a "A Farewell to Arms" festival on Saturday...The magazines will be dropped from the air onto the crowd.

I'm hoping they didn't just drop the mags form the air. I believe I remember reading something about them planning to give them away at a booth, so they could verify people's age, etc.
I was there. Pretty good turnout.

My wife and I walked away with our free 30-round magazines and I had pre-ordered 3 additional ones with my ticket. We also supported Magpul by buying a t-shirt each (wore mine to a church event today).

No, the magazines weren't dropped from the sky. They had a helicopter fly in with Dana Loesch (key note speaker) and a few boxes. I think they already had most of the boxes in the stadium, but I could be wrong. The boxes from the helicopter were carried in.

#20 ·
Around here right now, if you say "California of the Midwest" ..... everyone knows you are talking about Colorado.

A real shame, people didn't pay more attention to the view of their Rep's on the 2nd Amendment, etc.... and gun rights. I bet they wish they had now.

#27 ·
True, but we paid attention..... since about 2002 or 2003, when CC couldn't get passed into law, because of votes or when it did pass was vetoed by the Governor. By 2006, it was passed ... again ...and the Governor "again" vetoed it, except this time... there were enough voting for it, they just overrode the veto and it became the law anyway. Since then, the 'profile' of the Legislature has changed dramatically, and so has who's sitting Governor (pro 2A). All the Dem's are complaining that this is now the MOST conservative and pro-gun set of Legislators that they've ever seen. Good... that's what we wanted, but they are sure showing their "hate" for it. I hope Colorado got woken up , and does the same thing and reverses the trend there.

#22 ·
The thought of dropping mags from a helicopter; Sorry, couldn't help myself: for those of you old enough to remember "WKRP in Cincinnati"'s infamous "Turkey drop",

"It's a helicopter, and it's coming this way. It's flying something behind it, I can't quite make it out, it's a large banner and it says, uh - Happy... Thaaaaanksss... giving! ... From ... W ... K ... R... P!! No parachutes yet. Can't be skydivers... I can't tell just yet what they are, but - Oh my God, Johnny, they're turkeys!! Johnny, can you get this? Oh, they're plunging to the earth right in front of our eyes! One just went through the windshield of a parked car! Oh, the humanity! The turkeys are hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement! Not since the Hindenburg tragedy has there been anything like this!"

Funniest audio description playing out in my mind's eye EVER!

video Happy Thanksgiving - WKRP Turkey Drop - thanksgiving, happy, wkrp - videos kewego

#25 ·
I didn't get to attend, but did participate in the "Boulder Airlift" and purchased some stuff from them. I'm pretty well stocked for the rest of my life now......
And the Wifey and I are moving out of Colorado probably in the next year. We've already made 2 trips to Florida and put in an offer or two on some places.
It is indeed sad that I will be leaving my home of 47 years, but I am looking forward to being closer to her parents and getting to play golf year round. :)

#26 ·
The the good with the law is they used this language ""LARGE CAPACITY MAGAZINE MEANS A FIXED OR DETACHABLE MAGAZINE BOX DRUM FEED STRIP OR SIMILAR DEVICE CAPABLE OF ACCEPTING OR THAT CAN BE READILY CONVERTED TO ACCEPT MORE THAN FIFTEEN ROUNDS OF AMMUNITION" Now those of us that know anything about magazines know that the vast majority of magazines come with removable base-plates that can be used to "readily convert" the magazine to holding more than the limit. That means that the law would essentially ban ALL magazines from being sold. Thus it will get thrown out.

#28 ·
I live on a ranch in northern california where ccw permits are granted and it is very conservative. I laugh each time one of you guys in another state get hit with a new gun Bill. Instead of admitting you took your eye off the ball and let a few liberals whip you it is easier to say the California crowd did it by moving to your state.

If there were that many people that moved to your state California wouldn't have anybody left.

Man up and admit you missed the mark and have some work to do to get your state back.

Hickenlooper won 51% of the vote to become governor of Colorado. What you are saying is 51% of the Colorado population is from California???

Colorado population is 5,029,196 and 51% of that is 2,564,889 that you say moved from California or are you saying some good Colorado Republicans didn't get off their rusty dusty and vote?

Los Angeles just elected a mayor in an election where only 24% of the population voted. The problem is people are apathetic and would rather sit on a computer some where and whine instead of getting up getting out the vote and taking back this country. We are the problem each and every one of us not the people that moved from one state to the other.

Rant off.

Respectfully,
Bill

#31 ·
Actually Bill,

Estimated immigration from California is well over 1 million here, I'll have to look up some numbers. It doesn't take the entire left here to be from California to push things 1% over, if you think about it.

Additionally I've looked at this carefully and have another theory...

Colorado fiscal conservatives (e.g. "The base") got lazy, because we got a very good economic bill called "TABOR" (Taxpayers Bill of Rights" that severely limited government taxation without direct representation. It's been controversial and certainly has completely frustrated and ticked off tax-and-spend types for a long time.

Here's the rub... This led to a very weak need for outspoken and strong fiscal conservatives in public office because the law took care of it. That left a door wide open no one dreamed of... A close House and Senate that swung by only a couple of votes and bang... $1.3M from Bloomberg for his little broke political minions -- which is peanuts to a coastal money person -- and they all lock-stepped and saluted and passed these Colorado laws. Even Governor Hickenlooper who originally stated in interviews that Aurora was the act of a madman, towed the Party line when the money spigot was threatened.

A significant additional problem with population growth from left-leaning States into Colorado is that they all move to the Front Range. Rural Colorado is slowly losing its voice to the mob in Denver/Boulder who has the media, the money, and the political game players.

I recently moved to a county slightly East of the Metro where we still have dirt roads and still wave at our neighbors. I don't know of a household without a firearm, and I don't know more than a handful who vote left. The current statistics are that the last election, the county voted 70%+ for conservatives. But it means little in the State House. In the Senate, the only seat lost was in Jefferson County where a Libertarian "stole" the votes in a race that was down to only a couple thousand votes.

JeffCo is an older west side Suburb with mostly "old" Coloradoans, but obviously some number of them are upset with the traditional conservative candidates and voted Libertarian, and the rest may very well be mostly out of State transplants.

So... The folks who've loved and lived in Colorado for their entire lives definitely got a wake up call this session. A number of things triggered (correct word!) the perfect storm. The rural areas are honestly beyond angry for words and started fighting immediately. Recall petitions for many of the worse politicians in the debate are well underway but that's a sketchy tactic. It can backfire badly. Morse may lose. He's been paying phone banks to call and indirectly threaten gun advocates to stay out of the recall election... He's a complete tool.

The Sheriff's are suing saying the law is completely unenforceable.

Magpul made the plea to the People that they're throwing away good manufacturing jobs, but they're surrounded by the stupid-zone of Boulder, and they couldn't get common sense to prevail.

Not in the light of such incredible levels of stupidity as Diana DeGette saying once magazines are empty of bullets, they get thrown away... on the floor of the State Capitol in front of cameras... Her supporters find her a "useful idiot".

So... Yes. California immigration is a significant problem. It's not just that either. During the last Presidential election, I rode on an airport shuttle bus with a giddy "activist" who'd been hired by the DNC from... You guessed it... California... Where she was broke and needed a job... to come canvas neighborhoods and drag voters to the polls for the left.

Colorado has been generally left out of National stuff for so long, there's a lot of people reeling realizing it doesn't take much money in real dollars to literally buy the entire State. Personally I think Western states will see much more of this to come, and this was only a test. Billionaire playboy Bloomberg has cash to blow, and if you can buy an entire State for less than $2M, why fight the battle on the coast where it's expensive?

The next elections here will be quite telling.

#29 ·
You are 100% correct. But, few Americans are willing to make any of the hard sacrifices that our founding fathers did. Most will vote their pocket book. It is time to stand up and make the hard choices.
We need small towns back. When you put people in large populations they will become very liberal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

#30 ·
I live in a county that is 2,400 sq miles with a population of 1.33 million residents, about 700,000 over the age of 21 of which, as of June 30, 2013, 69,347 had concealed weapons permits. The state has a total population of 18 million with 1,090,016 concealed weapons permits and growing at the rate of about 45,000 per month.

With that said, I don't believe the majority of our elected officials, unless they infiltrated our system from NY, NJ or MD., would attempt to submit or vote on any type of laws that would further restrict our rights under the 2nd Amendment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.