Defensive Carry banner

Imagine a permit for free speech

714 views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  BenGoodLuck 
#1 ·
The ridiculousness of requiring a permit to own or carry a gun is underscored if you substitute "own a gun" with "speak your mind". Can you imagine the outcry if our government started requiring permits to speak freely? If someone abuses the right to free speech and calls for the violent overthrow of the government or the assassination of the president, I understand that they should be prosecuted and if found guilt sent to jail. And if a person uses a gun to commit a crime, they should also be prosecuted and punish if found guilty.

What I am failing to understand is how we got to this point that the government can so easily regulate an inalienable right. Because it happened over time and we were always told it was for the protection of society, we've stood by and allowed our right to be chipped away.

#3 ·
The ridiculousness of requiring a permit to own or carry a gun is underscored if you substitute "own a gun" with "speak your mind". Can you imagine the outcry if our government started requiring permits to speak freely? If someone abuses the right to free speech and calls for the violent overthrow of the government or the assassination of the president, I understand that they should be prosecuted and if found guilt sent to jail. And if a person uses a gun to commit a crime, they should also be prosecuted and punish if found guilty.

What I am failing to understand is how we got to this point that the government can so easily regulate an inalienable right. Because it happened over time and we were always told it was for the protection of society, we've stood by and allowed our right to be chipped away.
Apathy. Taking our eye off the ball. Lack of involved citizenship. Failure to hold our judges' and hirelings' faces to the fire each and every time they determined gross breach of their sworn oaths to protect and defend was a viable option.

It's on us, really. We, the People, have so far failed our ancestors and our children badly, in this regard. Time to turn that around, big-time, if we're to have a hope of erasing the horrible damage done already.

Imagine 1A infringements and violations on citizens:
  • Requires a Master's degree in literature, communications and psychology before buying an "unlicensed" book or uttering a word.
  • Buying more than 2 books a month is outlawed.
  • Buying more than 5 books a month will land you in prison.
  • Buying up an old book store's stock will get you the death sentence.
  • Giving a book to an unlicensed person is a crime. Gotta have a permit, to accept a book from another.
  • Speaking more than 10 words strung together is considered "terroristic" threatening of others.
  • Use of "nickel" words is verboten.
  • Winging it via creation of new words is an imprisonable offense against fragile sensibilities.
  • One must apply for a license of permission from the state before coming anywhere near a microphone or podium, or before daring to write a book.
  • Attempting to acquire a longer-lasting ballpoint pen is a federal crime.
  • Attempting to build your own longer-lasting ballpoint pen will have BATFE&P folk jumping on your head.
  • Attempting to modify an existing ballpoint pen will mean your 1A rights are forever curtailed during your remaining adult life.
  • Writing a book is a felony.
  • Writing a book or article, or speaking a speech, that criticized the hired staff is a felony and capital crime.
  • The idea of crimes against the constitution for gross breach of sworn oath to protect and defend, along with any eviscerations perpetrated against the BOR are held as laughable by the entrenched hired staff, adjudged as a perfectly valid position by the so-called "judges" from SCOTUS on down.

Sad, in the most excruciating manner possible, given that we've done it to ourselves.

#5 ·
You are right.

Until we get back to term limits you will never have "a representative republic" because our "representatives" are so far removed from the "real world" after 20 years in Washington that they don't have a clue anymore. It's all about what they can do to keep their cushy government job.

Reactions: Warrior1256
#8 ·
Free speech does require a permit. If you want to assemble together with others for a redress of grievances you have to get a permit from the city where said assembly will happen. If you want to be on tv, radio, or in print you need a permit in the form of business licensing, FCC licensing, etc... There hasn't been free speech in this country since the mid 1800s when state and federal goverments required people to get business licenses and the creation of corporations as legal fictitious people for printed free speech. In the 1920s it was the creation of the FCC for televised, radio, and print media.

What makes you think that the government won't stop at the Second Amendment when they've already eviscerated the First and other Amendments?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that said licensing was originally to keep non-whites from operating businesses in the north then went south after the War of Southern Independence via Jim Crow laws.

#10 ·
If I had to shoot out a guess here I would guess the argument would be, "no one is mass murdering children with free speech". Kinda the same rebuttal you hear when banning cars, hammers, baseball bats, etc.. Is brought up. Now I will say I personally don't hold this idea, just a guess at what you would hear from the other side.

#13 ·
I thought of this argument when I was writing the OP, but then I thought about Hitler. Although words didn't actually murder anyone, his words provided the framework for millions to be murdered. Words have probably contributed as much to death as actual weapons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.