NY Governor Cuomo Says AR's are not A Common Use weapon; Not protected by the 2A.

NY Governor Cuomo Says AR's are not A Common Use weapon; Not protected by the 2A.

This is a discussion on NY Governor Cuomo Says AR's are not A Common Use weapon; Not protected by the 2A. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Cuomo strikes back at gun rights lawsuit | Human Events Do you think AR and modern renditions of semi-auto rifles, as defined in the NY ...

View Poll Results: Do you believe AR and modern Semi-Auto Rifles are protected by the Second Amendment

Voters
249. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they are in Common use & protected under the Second Amendment

249 100.00%
  • No, they are rarely purchased and are not protected under the Second Amendment

0 0%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: NY Governor Cuomo Says AR's are not A Common Use weapon; Not protected by the 2A.

Cuomo strikes back at gun rights lawsuit | Human Events

Do you think AR and modern renditions of semi-auto rifles, as defined in the NY Ban, in Common use or not?

Not that this really has any relevance since all bearable arms, by one person, as modernization of an arm over 200yrs old, was ruled in DC v Heller as protected; I wanted to see what you all think

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    It's nice to know Cuomo is a Constitutional scholar as well as an elitist political gas bag.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Not in common use? If they weren't before Sandy Hook (they were), they sure are now. He must have been too busy being stupid to see where those AR death machines were flying off the shelves for months.
    multistage likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Gas Bag Cuomo and his crony Big Brother Bloomberg
    What a team

On a side note:

Anyone else find it an odd occurence a Governor is involved in an injunction?

Usually their role as Governor, from everyday legal battles, is to stay out of them in order to prevent an image of having a "Conflict of Interest". Something Lawyers are supposed to go out of their way to avoid being found as having.

Just a thought.

VIP Member
    Not if it's for the children.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

IMO all weapons are covered under the 2A, and to those that want to go the Nuclear route, don't go there, its stupid....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
    Cuomo strikes back at gun rights lawsuit | Human Events

Do you think AR and modern renditions of semi-auto rifles, as defined in the NY Ban, in Common use or not?

Not that this really has any relevance since all bearable arms, by one person, as modernization of an arm over 200yrs old, was ruled in DC v Heller as protected; I wanted to see what you all think
    If they aren't common, then that explains why you can't find them in stock anywhere.

Seriously, though. My dad, who hasn't purchased a firearm in 15-20 years has recently purchased both an AR15 and an AR10. They're rapidly becoming VERY common.

VIP Member
    I'm sure from his perspective, he's absolutely correct; they aren't in common use... After all, all of his bodyguards are toting MP5s, so I can see why he wouldn't think that the lowly AR has much of an audience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    msgt/ret, nechaev and stylus like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    He just needs to go to just a few ranges (or send one of his minions) and he will notice on average 2 out of 3 rifles being used are some variant of an AR-15.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

We all need to remember the redefinition to A firearm with any of the following:
    *Detachable Magazine capable of holdin more than 10 rounds
    *Pistol grip or thumbhole stock
    *Adjustable Stock
    *A foregrip that surrounds the barrel
    *A gas impinged system
    Etc.

A 10-22, arguably the MOST common kids training rifle is included in this definition.
    pittypat21 and msgt/ret like this.

Do you believe AR and modern Semi-Auto Rifles are protected by the Second Amendment
    Absolutely. And it has nothing to do with common use. It has to do with its being simple portable arms of the sort with utility for a single person to carry and use in defense of self and others. It's the sort of arms envisioned by the framers of the 2A when they acknowledged the right and stated that right shall not be infringed.

Even fully-automatic weaponry would be more commonly owned/carried if only the knee-jerk prohibitions and fear-mongering statist views on such things were seen for what they were, as well: 2A infringements of exactly the sort that has gotten us these semi-auto prohibitions and all the rest.
    airslot likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    He just needs to go to just a few ranges (or send one of his minions) and he will notice on average 2 out of 3 rifles being used are some variant of an AR-15.
    He knows, the trouble is, he blows.
    NONAME762 likes this.

If I remember right, the AR platform is the best selling semi-automatic rifle in existence (in the US) - or damn near it.

Not common use my behind.

I work at a gun range as an RSO. I see all manner of weapons at the range.

I see more ARs than just about anything.

That and every kind of bolt-action out there (especially during hunting season).
    airslot likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

One last thing: I'm still wondering how common use has anything to do with 2A rights.
    ccw9mm, gtfoxy, airslot and 3 others like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links