Why I think AR-15's are the target of anti-gun groups

This is a discussion on Why I think AR-15's are the target of anti-gun groups within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Why are AR-15's the guns that anti-gun groups targeting? Is it because they are semi-automatic, there are millions of guns from .17 cal to .50 ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By gjkozy
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 2 Post By gjkozy

Thread: Why I think AR-15's are the target of anti-gun groups

Why are AR-15's the guns that anti-gun groups targeting? Is it because they are semi-automatic, there are millions of guns from .17 cal to .50 cal that are semi-automatic, is it because they have folding stocks, there have been guns that have had folding, detachable and collapsible stocks before AR-15's, is it because of the pistol type grip, well there are other models of guns with that type of grip or is it because they just look mean?

I think, that its because of the ammo these guns are able to chamber along with all of the above. Why, well because if our government where ever to become tyrannical, they know that they would never be able to pull all of the firearms out of the hands of Americans. But they most certainly would be able to stop the supply chain for ammunition, yes, just stop the sale of ammo. As we see how the shortage of ammo have curtailed our shooting habits now, imagine how it would affect a push back on tyranny!

So the only ammunition that would or could be available would be military calibers and that is exactly what these guns shoot. So either through a underground network or through captured stores or battlefield booty, this would be the only ammo that would be available. Yeah, add in the 30 round magazine, flash suppressor, light weight and recoil, all weather durability/reliability and the ability to mount accessories and you have a reason for a driven ban on this type of weapon.

This is just another indicator that something is amiss.
    StormRhydr and msgt/ret like this.
    “The only defense against
    violent evil people are
    good people who are
    more skilled at violence.”

Quote Originally Posted by gjkozy View Post
    Why are AR-15's the guns that anti-gun groups targeting? Is it because they are semi-automatic, there are millions of guns from .17 cal to .50 cal that are semi-automatic, is it because they have folding stocks, there have been guns that have had folding, detachable and collapsible stocks before AR-15's, is it because of the pistol type grip, well there are other models of guns with that type of grip or is it because they just look mean?

I think, that its because of the ammo these guns are able to chamber along with all of the above. Why, well because if our government where ever to become tyrannical, they know that they would never be able to pull all of the firearms out of the hands of Americans. But they most certainly would be able to stop the supply chain for ammunition, yes, just stop the sale of ammo. As we see how the shortage of ammo have curtailed our shooting habits now, imagine how it would affect a push back on tyranny!

So the only ammunition that would or could be available would be military calibers and that is exactly what these guns shoot. So either through a underground network or through captured stores or battlefield booty, this would be the only ammo that would be available. Yeah, add in the 30 round magazine, flash suppressor, light weight and recoil, all weather durability/reliability and the ability to mount accessories and you have a reason for a driven ban on this type of weapon.

This is just another indicator that something is amiss.
    Might be. Although, in that kind of "civil war" scenario, I would think some folks on the anti-government side would start manufacturing ammo on a large scale, but it would certainly not be an easy thing to start overnight.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

All are guns are the target of these anti gun groups. Just look at what is happening in CA. Hell they even banned the open carry of unloaded weapons.

VIP Member
    Doesn't work. They hate the AK just as much and our troops aren't going to be using 7.62x39 for us to steal from them. They don't seem too worried about 308 hunting rifles but 7.62x51 is a pretty common military round. You're giving them too much credit, I don't think the anti's have ever thought through things far enough to come up with something like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I think it's simple: of all rifles sold, it's the AR that's most prevalent and the largest slice of the pie. If they can shut down that one, they'll then go for the next largest group of guns that can be targeted. In a way, too, given the mere fact the military also recognizes the shape/format as being what works for them as well, it tends to fuel a popularity boom amongst citizens, wanting to have what's "cool" or seemingly "effective." (Give me a quality M1 Carbine, any day.)

But then, they are going after practically everything, with every feature, in every shape, caliber, color. Some of them want to ban all guns, and say so. Some want to chip away at this or that portion of the market, given the small number of people using such things. Some want to focus on the big calibers, or the ugliest guns, or the most-popular, or whatever they think will fly at the moment. They're coming for our arms, however they're choosing to come this week. AR's first? Fine. It'll be AK's next, and anything imported soon after. Then Glocks, 'cause those are the largest group out there, the ones seemingly most "revered" by the 'bangers and others caught with weaponry during commission of crimes. Then it'll be guns that fire strange, or hi-vel rounds (ie, the 5.7mm). Then ...

As said above: all guns are targeted by anti-gunners. All of 'em. Why? Because we've got them. And so long as we do, we're in the way of their Utopian dream of a controllable populace, a subject citizenry, subject to their every whim, without a damned thing we can do about it. Not in this lifetime.
    vilecanards likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I agree with everyone of you who replied, anti-gun groups would like to see all guns gone. But, those in real power know that this would never, ever happen. Many people will never just give up there firearms just to be destroyed, many have been passed down father to son others are collectables and many are just great shooters. But when you separate the chaff from the wheat, it's the politicians specifically who mention AR-15's, look a Biden at his recent speech asking "why do people need a AR-15" in angry tones. My dictator Governor Cuomo specifically targeted assault style firearms.

I think if we divide this, the noise makers like Bloomberg, Fienstein and Schumer and their "grass roots" groups want to pull every single firearm from out homes, the real prize and puppeteer is the higher ups, the real agenda makers who only mention the AR-15. At least this is what I have noticed, but, then I could be way wrong on this issue. I just wanted to put out a hypothesis as to why there may be such propaganda and disinformation on a single firearm.

I think we don't give the anti-gun group the credit for being able to formulate long term strategies, what may seem to be a goal could be a ruse to just obtain another objective. They do have some very smart people working in the background, planning, plotting, creating strategies, working the propaganda machine. I thinks what we see is the ridiculous and the real danger is behind the curtain.

But then when you look at the whole anti gun movement, the reasoning is not based on solid facts, but on emotional and misguided crusader attitudes. Stats show that death's caused by firearms are reaching all time lows, there are more people than ever that own guns but the stats show a unparalleled responsibility with gun ownership. The one thing that stats show is that there are more crimes with firearm in states and cites with gun ban laws.

I just think these people are puppets for a more nefarious purpose because there is no solid ground that these people have to plant their feet on, they dangle in the air like puppets on strings with their reasoning.
    StormRhydr and ccw9mm like this.
    violent evil people are
    good people who are

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    You can't approach this from the informed and reasoned points of view you hold. Such thinking will only lead to more confusion on your part.

You have to pretend that you have zero experience or knowledge about firearms other than watching crime reports on TV about armed criminals. You must then pretend that you need a heavy dosage of lithium, valium, or both to control your neurotic and unstable personality in order to get through your day. Then you must imagine your major source of stimulation each day is daytime soap operas and shopping in retail stores. If you can imagine not working and collecting a check from the government for breathing you will even be further ahead than the rest of us.

Do this and your absurd conspiracy theories about the anti-gun crowd will be revealed for so much Omphaloskepsis. Their fears are phobias born of ignorance, and trying to assign reason to them is pointless. Republicanism is supposed to prevent people like this from having an inordinate amount of power, but aided by a fourth estate which shares their shortcomings and maladies these protections are eroded and break down.

Yes Virginia, it's because they're black and scary looking...nothing else.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Might be. Although, in that kind of "civil war" scenario, I would think some folks on the anti-government side would start manufacturing ammo on a large scale, but it would certainly not be an easy thing to start overnight.
    I saw a post once that read thusly: Your enemy shall bring you all you need directly to you.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Because they see them on TV where they are fully automatic, spray a mass of bullets, never need to be reloaded, and drop a helicopter out of the sky with one shot.

Or, because they are military style weapons designed to shoot lots of bullets very fast for the express purpose of killing preschool kids..

Senior Moderator
    Simple: Divide and Conquer. Look how much time the antis like Biden spend trying to convince hunters that he's one of them, and they "don't need an AR-15 to hunt with".
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I don't even have to put much thought into it. It is an easy recognizable symbol that can be tied to tragedies. Of course other weapons can be used in tragedies but a non gun owner (and some gun owners) would not know the difference between a Glock and a Sig.

It is a symbol, no more, no less. Every cause has a person or symbol to either demonize or idolize. Quite simple to me.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

It's because they're black.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I don't even have to put much thought into it. It is an easy recognizable symbol that can be tied to tragedies. Of course other weapons can be used in tragedies but a non gun owner (and some gun owners) would not know the difference between a Glock and a Sig.

It is a symbol, no more, no less. Every cause has a person or symbol to either demonize or idolize. Quite simple to me.
    Yes, I agree...they have been miss represented as full automatic and as a weapon that is used expressly to kill humans. The media has done a never ending crusade on the evil black gun and has lied every step of the way. Unfortunately, the general public seems to eat this diatribe up like candy because some "credible" news anchor says so.

Here's a person who until recently, his guns where legal, that is until my governor, Cuomo, rammed the new SAFE act through,

Town of Newburgh man arrested with cache of weapons

Sensational stuff, huh? No full automatic guns. But they mentioned, several rifles including two illegal assault rifles with flash suppressors and folding stocks, six illegal high-capacity magazines, and approximately 2,000 rounds of ammunition. Since when where rifles illegal? Two illegal assault rifles with flash suppressors like is was some evil thing and having 2000 rounds of ammo is bad? I don't know what this guy was doing, but, how the cops and media reacts with the tone they use doesn't help matters. This guys in only 30 mile from me more or less. I guess they are implying that they stopped a mass murder before he struck.

Guess I am lucky that I never was able to afford to purchase an AR style firearm, although I do still want one. But now, it would be more of a headache for me. Until they revised the law, my Ruger 10/22 would of been on the list of guns that Cuomo is trying to control. As it is now, I can only load my ten round magazine with seven rounds unless I am at a range or a sponsored shooting event, heaven forbid I ever miscount by one round.

I do like hearing all your thoughts on this subject, me, deep down inside because of events in the past decade, I feel there is a more nefarious reason that the black gun is the main focus of politicians.
    violent evil people are
    good people who are

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    A lot of it,is perception,or a symbol.This past memorial week,i had been on a friend's property shooting mine.I had a couple of people,coming from out of town to visit,and a couple of friends,locally.We were going to have a cookout.

I got back home,got busy,and forgot,i had left my AR in the corner of the room.Before,i moved it,two people saw it.One that saw it,was scared of it,the other thought it was really cool.

Maybe it's a culture thing,i don't know.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    The anti's hate the AR because they are irrational. 'Nuff said.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Links