MO Governor Nixon Vetoes ‘Second Amendment Preservation Act’

This is a discussion on MO Governor Nixon Vetoes ‘Second Amendment Preservation Act’ within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Nixon vetoes bill that would have outlawed federal gun laws | fox4kc.com It's time to start putting the pressure back on our House and Senate ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: MO Governor Nixon Vetoes ‘Second Amendment Preservation Act’

VIP Member

MO Governor Nixon Vetoes ‘Second Amendment Preservation Act’

Nixon vetoes bill that would have outlawed federal gun laws | fox4kc.com

It's time to start putting the pressure back on our House and Senate members and get this pushed through without Nixon. Then we need to get Nixon replaced...

Folks, I'd like this to stay on topic since the last thread about this pending legislature got way off the course and ended up getting shut down. Please let's keep this on about the topic, it's important stuff and I'd like to make sure this thread doesn't derail and get shut down like the last one.

Derailed Thread
    StormRhydr likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

2. Remove Ads

Some of the speech clauses in this Bill (as stated in the link cited) justify a veto IMHO.
    The main purpose of the Bill I can stand behind, but the Devil is in the details.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Nixon vetoes bill that would have outlawed federal gun laws | fox4kc.com

It's time to start putting the pressure back on our House and Senate members and get this pushed through without Nixon. Then we need to get Nixon replaced...

Folks, I'd like this to stay on topic since the last thread about this pending legislature got way off the course and ended up getting shut down. Please let's keep this on about the topic, it's important stuff and I'd like to make sure this thread doesn't derail and get shut down like the last one.

Derailed Thread
    If by "this stuff" you mean nullification, you are pushing a hopeless case. Even if the veto is overridden the Feds will (and rightly so) pay no attention to a nullification law except to arrest, try, and convict anyone who interferes with Federal law
    enforcement.

Your governor vetoed the bill for the reason he gave, that it is unconstitutional, and he is correct on that point.
    MJB_17 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    If by "this stuff" you mean nullification, ....
    I'll stand down on this issue if you will, Hop

VIP Member
    The veto will be overridden and it's far from hopeless. In fact, it's the absolute duty of the states to protect their citizens from the federal overreach.
    NRA Life Member

... it's the absolute duty of the states to protect their citizens from the federal overreach.
    AMEN!!!

The veto will be overridden and it's far from hopeless. In fact, it's the absolute duty of the states to protect their citizens from the federal overreach.
    So where does that stop? When the state of Utah declares Mormonism to be the official state religion? When you're required to pay tithes to the state church? When minorities have to go back to "separate but equal" schools?

Not picking on Mormons or the South here, could be Baptist in Arkansas or whatever. Just because you can get a majority of voters to do something doesn't make it a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Tzadik View Post
    Some of the speech clauses in this Bill (as stated in the link cited) justify a veto IMHO.
    The main purpose of the Bill I can stand behind, but the Devil is in the details.

Good point. Pressure the legislatures to craft damnably-simple and -clear legislation that's unadulterated by other garbage and riders. That'll make it much more simple, to separate the good bills from the unworthy.
    Tzadik and Dan060 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wdbailey View Post
    So where does that stop? When the state of Utah declares Mormonism to be the official state religion? When you're required to pay tithes to the state church? When minorities have to go back to "separate but equal" schools?

Not picking on Mormons or the South here, could be Baptist in Arkansas or whatever. Just because you can get a majority of voters to do something doesn't make it a good idea
    Considering none of your examples have any relevance to the subject, or the greater act of preserving our Constitutional rights, I don't see much use in addressing them. The fact is the states that are enacting this sort of legislation are doing so to prevent the Federal government from infringing on our rights guaranteed under the Constitution. Every one of your examples is about suppression of rights, which is not the point of this bill or the greater discussion of preservation of our Second Amendment.

And your right, you can get a majority of voters to agree on doing something, even when that something isn't the right thing. That's what got is in this position in the first place
    NRA Life Member

Good to know that at least one elected official in Missouri has read the Constitution.
    Hopyard and MJB_17 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Good point. Pressure the legislatures to craft damnably-simple and -clear legislation that's unadulterated by other garbage and riders. That'll make it much more simple, to separate the good bills from the unworthy.
    One of the things that made this country great was that the system of Laws were simple and elegant. Everyone knew and understood them.
    Sadly we have "evolved" beyond it and Freedom is suffering for it.

If we could get a review on ALL legislation passed and remove everything from every Law that had little to do with each Law's stated purpose, we might be on a path back to
    becoming an even greater Nation. (We'd have to somehow keep the pork out of future legislation as well, of course)

VIP Member
    I support this bill and similar laws that have gone through other legislatures. That said, they are blatantly unconstitutional and will be completely ignored when/if the time comes.

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the constitution or laws of any state to the contrary notwithstanding.
    Whether a state likes or agrees with federal law is irrelevant. If the law is in place and the judiciary has failed to do their duty through judicial review you're simply out of luck. One violation of the Constitution is no more or less egregious than the other from a legal view.
    ElMonoDelMar likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Just going a couple of persons thinking here I would have assumed Federal troops or Federal LE would have Gov Quinn of Ill and his minions arrested by now for missing deadline after deadline laid by SCOTUS to get a CC program in place.

That didnt happen. The opposite wont happen in MO because the RTKAB isnt dependent on 2A. Even a supreme court ruled that itself. So there is the precious meaningless case law some love to back that up. And with that I hope MO gov gets overridden on his Veto and Im out
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzadik View Post
    One of the things that made this country great was that the system of Laws were simple and elegant. Everyone knew and understood them.
    Sadly we have "evolved" beyond it and Freedom is suffering for it.

If we could get a review on ALL legislation passed and remove everything from every Law that had little to do with each Law's stated purpose, we might be on a path back to
    becoming an even greater Nation. (We'd have to somehow keep the pork out of future legislation as well, of course)
    Sadly, that is a romanticized view of our history and our laws. It was the intent I think, but something got derailed very
    very soon after everyone signed on the dotted line. That is how, over the course of a few years time, former close friends
    John Adams and Thomas Jefferson came to hate each others guts. That is why Congress felt we needed the Alien and Sedition
    Act of 1798, and why many were convicted under it.

Things weren't simple and elegant in point of fact.
    Sig 210 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

He vetoed it because he knows it a pointless waste of time that has absolutely no authority. In every circumstance, state laws and mandates are subordinate to Federal law (and the Us Constitution by extension), this is called the "Ladder of Laws" and is established by the Supremacy Clause. A similar concept structures the judicial system as well.
    Hopyard and Sig 210 like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links