Democrats getting gun control fever

This is a discussion on Democrats getting gun control fever within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...home-headlines Democrats' challenge to be a balancing act Peter Wallsten and Janet Hook | Los Angeles Times Posted November 12, 2006 WASHINGTON -- After toppling ...

Thread: Democrats getting gun control fever

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...home-headlines

Democrats' challenge to be a balancing act

Peter Wallsten and Janet Hook | Los Angeles Times
    Posted November 12, 2006

WASHINGTON -- After toppling the long-dominant Republicans, the Democratic Party's incoming congressional leaders have found themselves in another difficult struggle -- with their own supporters.

Some of the very activists who helped restore the Democrats to a majority in the House and Senate last week are claiming credit for the victories and demanding their due: a set of ambitious -- and politically provocative -- actions on gun control, abortion, national security and other issues that party leaders fear could alienate moderate voters and leave Democrats vulnerable to GOP attacks as big spenders or soft on terrorism.

The conflict underscores the challenge facing presumed House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Nevada Sen. Harry Reid, the next Senate majority leader, who have pledged in recent days to "govern from the center" after a campaign in which anger about the Iraq war and GOP scandals helped Democrats attract some unusually conservative candidates and a large share of independent voters.

To the leaders of interest groups who are core supporters of the Democratic Party, and who have been barred under Republican rule from the inner sanctums of power, the new Congress means a time for action, not compromise.

Backers demand action

Lobbyists for the American Civil Liberties Union, for example, are all but counting on Democrats to repeal the most controversial provisions of the Patriot Act, the anti-terrorist law that critics charge is unconstitutional. They also want to end President Bush's domestic-wiretapping program.

"We are not going to let them off the hook," said Caroline Fredrickson, the ACLU's legislative director, of the newly empowered Democratic leaders in Congress. "We will hold their feet to the fire and use all the tools we can to mobilize our members."

Similar vows are coming from lobbyists for abortion rights, who want to expand family-planning options for poor women and scale back Bush's focus on abstinence education, and from gun-control advocates, who hope to revive a lapsed ban on assault weapons. Labor unions, a core Democratic constituency, are demanding universal health care and laws discouraging corporations from seeking cheap labor overseas.

"It's been kind of a drought for 12 years, and there is some pent-up energy," said Bill Samuel, legislative director for the AFL-CIO, the labor federation that has long been a Democratic Party stalwart and spent millions of dollars on get-out-the-vote activities.

Several of the labor movement's goals, such as raising the minimum wage and allowing Medicare to seek discounts on drug prices, are found in the AFL-CIO's brochures and on a Democratic-leadership wish list designed to appeal across ideological lines.

Eli Pariser, executive director of the liberal activist group Moveon.org, warned that Democratic leaders would be ill-advised to ignore the party's base.

"A huge number of people were involved in putting them over the top," he said. "There's a huge group of people engaged and energized and ready to support Pelosi and company when they boldly lead -- and to hold them to account if they stray."

Pressure on Iraq policy

Democrats face especially acute pressure to redirect U.S. policy in Iraq, which many Democrats say was the most important issue driving the party's victory.

Democratic lawmakers have not unified behind an Iraq policy. If they found common ground with Bush on a continued troop presence, they might fend off future GOP efforts to label them as weak on national security. But they also likely would infuriate a growing anti-war movement that helped propel the party back into power.

"American voters have done their job; now it's time for Congress to do theirs," said Tom Andrews, a former House member who is head of the anti-war group, Win Without War. "The message couldn't be clearer: It's time to start the orderly withdrawal of American troops from Iraq. Our eyes are on the new Congress."

Planned Parenthood, which advocates abortion rights, pointed to victories by like-minded candidates in conservative states and a rejection by South Dakota voters of an abortion ban. The result, the group says, should be that Democrats view their causes as mainstream, rather than part of a liberal agenda, and should devote greater funding to contraception and other family-planning services that have been opposed by religious conservatives and scaled back by the Bush administration.

"I honestly believe there was no bigger winner in this election than Planned Parenthood Action Fund and women's health," said Planned Parenthood's president, Cecile Richards, referring to efforts by the group's political arm.

Hope for gun control

At the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, the leading gun-control advocacy group, Paul Helmke has high hopes for the assault-weapons ban -- and he, too, can list races in which candidates backed by his organization defeated those supported by the National Rifle Association.

But Helmke, the Brady Campaign's president and a former Republican mayor of Fort Wayne, Ind., acknowledged that his challenge is to convince potentially squeamish Democrats that his cause is not "radioactive."

Many Democratic strategists have come to think that supporting gun-control laws alienates rural voters and many independents. "Guns are a tricky issue," Helmke said. "But the elections show there's nothing to be afraid of."

A preview of the tussle that awaits Reid and Pelosi has been playing out on the Internet since Election Day, with liberal bloggers decrying party centrists as out of touch with the Democratic majority. The complaints were serious enough to prompt Reid to host a conference call with more than a dozen of the country's most-prominent liberal bloggers.

In the Senate, matters are further complicated by at least five Democrats -- nearly 10 percent of the caucus -- considering presidential bids in which they might need to win the liberal base to gain the nomination but then campaign to the center in a general election.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Assistant Administrator
    Political aspects here folks - so keep comment to pure 2A if possible, best you can.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

yeah, I'm not really surprised at anything the article has to say...it's politics at it's best. Others will disagree, but I actually think that the new members of congress will try to pass more "sensible gun control" including the AWB. The dems pushed for it when the repubs were in control, and Bush is on the record stating that he would sign it. Now I think what will be interesting is if they try to start altering the old bill and closing the "loopholes"...because then Bush would have a reason to veto it since it wouldn't be the same bill that he said he would sign. I don't know if I see much happening in the next two years, but I'm curious how it will play out. I'm an eternal optimist, but I am also a little worried about the possible laws that could come about. I'm really on the fence 50/50 as to my thoughts of the AWB passing again...only time and politics will tell.

My BushMaster AR-15 w/Holographic Scope...

is in...I'll pick it up on Dec 2nd...2hr drive away!
    I put nothing past the Dumbocrats...but maybe, playing with our gun rights might just wake some of the non-voters up in time for 2008?

Legislators know the power of pro-gunners...they aren't THAT stupid...or are they?

OMO...your opinion may differ!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I hate to say it but, I told you so!
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Well it sounds like the current majority has thier hands full. Everyone wants a piece and wants thier law on the books. I'm not saying that there isn't anything to worry about but I see (and hope) that there will be a bit of in fighting as each "winner" attempts to please the people who think they put them there. Plan for the worst and hope for the best and don't forget to email / call / snail mail your representitives and make them aware of your views on a constant basis.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

Assistant Administrator
    Plan for the worst and hope for the best and don't forget to email / call / snail mail your representitives and make them aware of your views on a constant basis.
    True enough - but a small if pedantic change

"Plan for the worst and work toward the best and don't forget to email / call / snail mail your representitives and make them aware of your views on a constant basis.
    "
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I wonder if Bill & Hill will make the same point that Bill did in 1994: That the NRA, in reacting to the new the gun laws were almost single handedly responsible to the GOP sweeping the Dems from the power they had held for over forty years. If Bill really wants Hill to make it into the Oval Office...so he gets the job of interviewing all White House interns, I'm sure....well then he'll keep the big dawgs on the leash.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    I hate to say it but, I told you so!
    Darn, you beat me to the punch. I've been wanting to say that for the last two weeks.

The dems have more important things right now than to get bogged down in a gun control fight. The election was all about voting against republicans, not voting for democrats. The dems have 2 years to prove they are worth the change, if they can't accomplish any major changes that the voters want, then they will be replaced by the republicans again in '08.
    And if hilary wants the white house, she'll keep the dems on a leash. No one in her party will jeprodize her run for the presidency without facing her wrath.
    The dems have a very slim majority. They dont have the numbers to break a filibuster, and they dont have the votes to overturn a veto without republican support. Nothing will get through congress without bipartisan support. This democrat run congress could put a new meaning to a "do nothing" congress if they try governing from the left. The right and center can bring things to a standstill without much trouble.

For the next 2 years, i dont see much coming as far as new gun control, no major pushes, but if the dems get the white house in '08, all bets are off. Of all things, I'd almost expect the republicans to bring up all the hot issues, including gun control, in early '08 in an attempt to force the democrats to take a stand on the issues. Either they will support gun control, and face a repeat of '94, or try to stay quiet or side against it, and lose support of their own base.
    Last edited by Matto4785; November 24th, 2006 at 03:20 PM.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    If they want to sell a few million "assault weapons" in a hurry, they'll announce plans to pass a new "assault weapon ban"...

I Get Mine...

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    If they want to sell a few million "assault weapons" in a hurry, they'll announce plans to pass a new "assault weapon ban"...
    this weekend...

Stay alert...plan ahead...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Gun control is a wedge issue used to divide up the votes. that's the way they see it(politicians). They mostly push it to keep their special interests happy and keep our eyes of what they are not doing. Unfortunately some people take it seriously. I have been reading up on populists recently and it seems that the majority are not antis. I really hope this is the case as personal self defence should be a right for the masses.
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    this weekend...

Stay alert...plan ahead...stay safe!

ret
    One is VERY high on my list. In fact I am liquidating a wheel gun and a lever action to raise funds to get an AR-15...

I'd agree with the comment above that probably most anti-2nd Amendment politicians will tread lightly for the next two years (if they're smart).

In 2008, and depending on how the new Dems have handled tough issues up till then, there will hopefully be more pro gun people elected.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."
    George Mason

"Gun control is a job-safety program for criminals."
    John R. Lott

Links