"make it illegal to sell or buy any gun that can be fired by a 5 year old child."

"make it illegal to sell or buy any gun that can be fired by a 5 year old child."

This is a discussion on "make it illegal to sell or buy any gun that can be fired by a 5 year old child." within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Another brilliant idea from California. From the article: "Once again, anti gun politicians are showing they simply have no idea how firearms and the real ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: "make it illegal to sell or buy any gun that can be fired by a 5 year old child."

VIP Member

Lightbulb "make it illegal to sell or buy any gun that can be fired by a 5 year old child."

Another brilliant idea from California.

From the article: "Once again, anti gun politicians are showing they simply have no idea how firearms and the real world works.

In a recent statement, Rep. Jackie Speier (pictured, majestically in front of a nice, fake ocean backdrop), says she will pursue legislation that will make it illegal to sell or buy any gun that can be fired by a 5 year old child."

Congresswoman ? Make All Guns That Can be Fired by Children Illegal
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    My firearms can not be fired by a 5 year old child. Why? First my kids have been taught not to touch a firearm, even if another person tries to hand it to them. Next, mine are always locked up or on my person.

Hope they don't make it a 6 year old...and this kid was certainly shooting as a 5 year old.

IPSC YOUNGEST SHOOTER IN THE WORLD MIKO ANDRES 6 year old - extra ordinary - YouTube
    Tzadik likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sounds like another grand idea from the folks who invented "child proof" medicine bottle caps. That have arthritic grandmas handing their pill bottles to their grandchildren to open.
    msgt/ret and phreddy like this.

It's worse. Here's the part that makes it worse.

...incorporate technology that precludes the average 5-year-old child from operating a handgun when it is ready to fire.
    The average 5 year-old can pull virtually any trigger that an adult can pull, unless we're talking firearms which require the operation of two hands 4+ feet apart from one another to use.

A firearm which is ready to fire that *cannot* be operated by a 5 year-old is one where a 5 year-old can hook his/her big toe through the trigger guard and *bounce* on it without providing sufficient force to pull the trigger.
    tdave likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I guess teaching gun safety was just too stupid to consider.
    All they are doing is throwing "stuff" at the wall and seeing what might stick. It's really sad that most people think our elected officials [ red or blue] know what they are doing.
    msgt/ret, joker1 and Voice like this.

Are 5 year olds handling guns in kindergarden class?

VIP Member
    This isn't the first attempt by a congressperson to exceed government authority for an ineffective fix to impose on the whole of the American people of a problem of isolated and anecdotal adult negligence, and it won't be the last. But this seems no different from the last batch defeated in the senate. Expression of sympathy, emotion, and paternalism/maternalism/nannyism is not what the founders had in mind for our government. This one from the rep. "Fighting for the people of San Francisco..." (and the children) is DOA.
    Be safe. Especially with guns and kids. Because Washington sure can't protect you from every tragedy nor should it.
    Tzadik likes this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Voice View Post
    It's worse. Here's the part that makes it worse.

The average 5 year-old can pull virtually any trigger that an adult can pull, unless we're talking firearms which require the operation of two hands 4+ feet apart from one another to use.

A firearm which is ready to fire that *cannot* be operated by a 5 year-old is one where a 5 year-old can hook his/her big toe through the trigger guard and *bounce* on it without providing sufficient force to pull the trigger.
    Somewhere I read that the idea was to mandate a minimum 10-pound trigger pull. I can see it now - "FEATURES: the Glock US1 trigger: at 10.1 pounds, the lightest trigger allowed under US law!"
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Somewhere I read that the idea was to mandate a minimum 10-pound trigger pull. I can see it now - "FEATURES: the Glock US1 trigger: at 10.1 pounds, the lightest trigger allowed under US law!"
    In the mode of the tremendous success of the use of heavy trigger-pull by NYPD. I doubt that the subject rep. is knowledgeable enough (her website says that she is "an advocate for... strict limits on high capacity ammunition sales") to develop the logical conclusion of increased risk to society at large that would be a basis of further anti-2A legislation. But there are some who are.
    And government thrives on solving problems that it creates.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

VIP Member
    My Dad was a senior exec for GE in the 70's and early 80's. Part of his job was to liaison with Congressmen and Senators.

He never really quite had the words to describe how stupid and incompetent that he found almost all of them to be. Those of us who live and work in a competitive marketplace really have no understanding of how truly stupid, uneducated and inept that these political trolls can be.
    maxwell97 likes this.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    It's for the children
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    My Dad was a senior exec for GE in the 70's and early 80's. Part of his job was to liaison with Congressmen and Senators.

He never really quite had the words to describe how stupid and incompetent that he found almost all of them to be. Those of us who live and work in a competitive marketplace really have no understanding of how truly stupid, uneducated and inept that these political trolls can be.
    Well, you can get a pretty good idea by meeting the people who vote for them.
    WHEC724 and Jeanlouise like this.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

Senior Moderator
    How about them legislating all swimming pools to make impossible for a 5 year old to drown in them when they are full of water?
    WHEC724, msgt/ret and Jeanlouise like this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    I'm wondering,how would it work?.Get a gun,give it to a 5 year old,and ask them to try and pull the trigger?.You gotta be kidding,smh,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links