Privacy fears grow as Obama weighs expanded gun-buyer database

This is a discussion on Privacy fears grow as Obama weighs expanded gun-buyer database within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Mental health issue have lead to all the Mass Murders with the only exception being Terrorism! So where does the slippery slope began? Privacy fears ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By ccw9mm
  • 2 Post By tdave
  • 1 Post By NONAME762

Thread: Privacy fears grow as Obama weighs expanded gun-buyer database

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar

Privacy fears grow as Obama weighs expanded gun-buyer database

Mental health issue have lead to all the Mass Murders with the only exception being Terrorism! So where does the slippery slope began?

Privacy fears grow as Obama weighs expanded gun-buyer database | Reuters

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    "I don't think of myself as at all paranoid about this, but I do think that a lot of people worry that information may not be as secure as we all want to be reassured that it is," said James Jackson, executive director of Disability Rights New Mexico.
    I think it goes well beyond that. Who gets to determine what constitutes a "mental health threat" ... a committee? Congress, with fixed/clear standards? Is any psychological type discussion/meeting with a doctor going to be deemed such a threat and entail a NICS entry?

Sure, Uncle isn't well-known for ability to keep records straight or secure on many things. But, by far, I think the vital threat to all of this are the simple questions of (a) what constitutes a "mental health" threat and (b) who gets to make such a determination to the point it impacts NICS entries and tripping the "threat" standards in the statutes? Until they clarify those things, this can only be deemed a threat to privacy and RKBA.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; July 10th, 2013 at 06:55 PM.
    NONAME762 and Tzadik like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I see once again they refer to the tragedy in CT to justify this. Gee he murdered his mother and stole her guns. A background check would have done what? Disgusting to see these sleazeballs trampling over the bodies of little children to push their agenda while simultaneously trying to discredit measures that could have saved them.
    NONAME762 and Tzadik like this.

Never discount what malarkey the ruling class will come up with next.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

They claim that 40% of the guns sold at gun shows do not have background checks. What they fail to mention is that most likely 100% of that 40% are long gun sales that do not require a background check when sold privately.
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

Glad someone else started a thread on this.

I weighed in with an Examiner column:

White House gets resistance from mental health community - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

but I also think this is a monster-sized bit of hypocrisy on the part of the doctors...they want gun owners checked, but don't want some of their looney patients' privacy invaded... Can't have it both ways..

This is a made up number, there's absolutely no way to prove this statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpsufan View Post
    40% of the guns sold at gun shows do not have background checks.
    As The Washington Post has pointed out, this 40 percent figure comes from a 1997 report by the National Institute of Justice, a research agency within the Department of Justice, and was based on a telephone survey sample of just 251 people who acquired firearms in 1993 and 1994. This was years before the NICS system went into effect. Of the 251 participants, 35.7 percent said that they didn’t or “probably” didn’t obtain their gun from a licensed firearms dealer. Because the margin of error was +/– 6 percentage points, it was rounded up to 40 percent, although it could just as easily and legitimately have been rounded down below 30 percent.

Back door reach around...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Senior Member Array Warrior1256's Avatar
    I don't think many of us are surprised by this. Chipping away at the 2A little by little.

Links