Cruz Takes On ATF Director

This is a discussion on Cruz Takes On ATF Director within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't know alot about Senator Cruz.I've watched him on a couple of videos,debating things like drones,guns,Nra speeches,etc.Based only,by what i've seen of him on ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Richard58

Thread: Cruz Takes On ATF Director

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar

I don't know alot about Senator Cruz.I've watched him on a couple of videos,debating things like drones,guns,Nra speeches,etc.Based only,by what i've seen of him on the videos,i like him..He doesn't seem to back down,and appears to be pretty sharp.

This Director reminded me of Holder.Ask them a question,that's either yes or no,and,they can't seem to pick one.

It' may be kinda long for some,lol,it's a 7 min video,i came across,from June 11th.Some may have some interest in it.if you hadn't seen it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=2tRidnXwLf8

Most folks in Washington have learned to talk out both sides of the mouth at the same time.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

I'll be honest upfront, I am no Ted Cruz fan, I voted for Dewhurst in the GOP primary and was not happy when Cruz won...that said, IMO Cruz will be a one and done Senator (which is rare) for one huge reason: The TX GOP establishment hates him.

Cruz likes to portray himself as a renegade darling of the Tea Party, in actuality he has long been a DC insider. His specialty is obstructionism, not progress and he fully knows it. He is great at pulling stunts (like the pistol grip thing during the hearing and his speeches about abolishing the IRS) that grab headlines, but he never actually achieves anything. In short, Cruz was not supposed to win the seat after Hutchinson retired, Dewhurst was. Dewhurst is deeply involved with the TX GOP establishment going back to the beginning of the Bush governorship in the mid 1990s and even before when he was Land Commissioner (a stepping stone to governor). With Perry in office for so long, it was clear that Dewhurst was never going to be governor but he was the perfect choice to retain control on the second Senate seat when it came open. Unfortunately, Cruz (narrowly) won the primary race (which was basically the election, Bill White had no chance) and now we're stuck with him.

The TX and national GOP are already tired of his theatrics, expect him to be "primaried" when he's up for reelection in 2018, George P. Bush (Jeb's son/W's nephew, he's going to run for Land Commissioner next time) could definitely play a part in that scenario.

It seems to me that all professions have a manner in which successful members conduct themselves. It is not written down but it is readily identifiable to outsiders. When one enters that profession they adopt those mannerism that dictate success. Said another way a man's job leaves its mark on him. Watching videos like this is infuriating to me because the participants invariably tow the party line without ever really addressing the question directly in a manner which us outsiders want to hear. Senator Cruz seems to play directly on this outsider's frustration with the Washington way. Whether he genuinely shares my beliefs and goals or is merely pandering to the gallery to further his own agenda remains to be seen. I personally regard all politicians as fundamentally flawed human beings who thirst for power. I suppose in the 21st century someone has to wield that power, I'd just like to keep the power available to a minimum along with the inevitable damage to my liberty.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Regardless of the politician; they all share one common feature...

If it is politically expedient designed for the sole purpose of getting re-elected; they (The Politicians) are behind it 100%.

If being anti 2A was popular, the politicians would also be anti 2A.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

VIP Member
    Here is my analysis.

Cruz - He seems stuck on a single issue as if it were the only issue in the world. He seems totally unable to consider that, with limited resources, prosecuting a murderer just might take priority over prosecuting someone who failed a NICS check. He also seems to think that the only way criminals buy guns is through the legal channel. I submit that there were vastly more than 48K criminals who succeeded in buying guns on the street. If Mr. Jones is correct that they focused limited resources on felon in possession cases over failed NICS checks - well, I am OK with that as it seems to be a reasonable prioritization. Cruz is looking for soundbites.

Jones - He seems reasonably well informed from the sound bite provided. I know nothing else about Mr. Jones. That said, he seems articulate and well informed. He also seems to grasp the reality that not every crime can be punished and that priorities need to be established. If the goal of DOJ is to, as Mr. Jones states, protect the people against violent crime and if the NICS system is keeping criminals from accessing weapons through the channel that the government controls, it is entirely likely that there are higher priority crimes to fight. It also makes the case that the current system works pretty well - just sayin.

All things considered, viewing this video as a standalone piece, I would say that Mr. Jones looked to be sharper than Mr. Cruz. Mr. Jones seemed to have a more wholistic approach while Mr. Cruz seems like a one-trick pony.

Disclaimer - generally I like Mr. Cruz, but I think he got bested here.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I like Cruz but, I used to think better of Rubio. Now I think he is a piece of trash. They are politicians. I wouldn't give you a bucket of dirt for any of them.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Here is my analysis.

Cruz - He seems stuck on a single issue as if it were the only issue in the world. He seems totally unable to consider that, with limited resources, prosecuting a murderer just might take priority over prosecuting someone who failed a NICS check. He also seems to think that the only way criminals buy guns is through the legal channel. I submit that there were vastly more than 48K criminals who succeeded in buying guns on the street. If Mr. Jones is correct that they focused limited resources on felon in possession cases over failed NICS checks - well, I am OK with that as it seems to be a reasonable prioritization. Cruz is looking for soundbites.

Jones - He seems reasonably well informed from the sound bite provided. I know nothing else about Mr. Jones. That said, he seems articulate and well informed. He also seems to grasp the reality that not every crime can be punished and that priorities need to be established. If the goal of DOJ is to, as Mr. Jones states, protect the people against violent crime and if the NICS system is keeping criminals from accessing weapons through the channel that the government controls, it is entirely likely that there are higher priority crimes to fight. It also makes the case that the current system works pretty well - just sayin.

All things considered, viewing this video as a standalone piece, I would say that Mr. Jones looked to be sharper than Mr. Cruz. Mr. Jones seemed to have a more wholistic approach while Mr. Cruz seems like a one-trick pony.

Disclaimer - generally I like Mr. Cruz, but I think he got bested here.
    Your assessment of Cruz is spot on, he panders to the issue that he knows will get his face and voice in the news. If gun control hadn't seen an upsurge in interest in the last 18 months, he would be blabbering on something else, like immigration or the IRS.

Todd Jones is an outsider to the ATF, he is a former Marine (I hope that's the right term for someone who served in the Corps but is no longer in) and AUSA from I believe Minnesota. He replaced Melson, who was an administrative climber who was acting director for the better part of a decade. Jones was recently confirmed by the Senate, something the ATF has not had since like 2002. He is not in any way connected to Fast and Furious or any of the gunwalking scandals, he is an outsider.

I think the biggest contrast between the two is that Jones actually cares about doing his job effectively and Cruz cares about his own personal interests.

Links