Really Interesting Article about Florida 'Stand Your Ground' Actual Cases

This is a discussion on Really Interesting Article about Florida 'Stand Your Ground' Actual Cases within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Friend of mine passed this along to me today. The Tamp Bay Times researched 200 trials where the "Stand your ground' law in Florida was ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dcdalton

Thread: Really Interesting Article about Florida 'Stand Your Ground' Actual Cases

Really Interesting Article about Florida 'Stand Your Ground' Actual Cases

Friend of mine passed this along to me today. The Tamp Bay Times researched 200 trials where the "Stand your ground' law in Florida was used as a defense in a case.

The facts are (as usual) nothing like the talking heads would like to have people believe.

First the article that calls on the study:

Florida blacks benefit from Florida 'Stand Your Ground' | The Daily Caller

... approximately one third of Florida “Stand Your Ground” claims in fatal cases have been made by black defendants, and they have used the defense successfully 55 percent of the time, at the same rate as the population at large and at a higher rate than white defendants, according to a Daily Caller analysis of a database maintained by the Tampa Bay Times.
    And the actual study from the Tampa Bay Times:

Stand your ground law, Trayvon Martin and a shocking legacy | Tampa Bay Times
    phreddy likes this.
    An Informed Gun Owner Is An Anti-Gunners Worst Nightmare - Stay Informed @ American Gun Owners Alliance

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    We won't hear about this in the news...
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

The Law applies to everyone equally right, so what is the problem, E. holder needs a lesson in Law 101. JMHO-YMMV
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Many of the points made in the article are made against stand your ground laws.
    John Luttrell

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dcdalton View Post
    Friend of mine passed this along to me today. The Tamp Bay Times researched 200 trials where the "Stand your ground' law in Florida was used as a defense in a case.

The facts are (as usual) nothing like the talking heads would like to have people believe.

First the article that calls on the study:

Florida blacks benefit from Florida 'Stand Your Ground' | The Daily Caller

And the actual study from the Tampa Bay Times:

Stand your ground law, Trayvon Martin and a shocking legacy | Tampa Bay Times
    I think a lot of people don't understand the true intent of the SYG / Castle Doctrine are. When used properly, they are great laws that protect people from going to jail that use legitimate use of force to stop a threat against their life. Looking at some of the cases that the Tampa Bay Times posted, I can see some of them were no doubt justified, some iffy, and some not at all. Some of those cases looked like they were just trying to use the system to cover up what they did and it didn't work. If I had my way I would change the name of SYG to "SAVE MY BACON".

The media ignores facts when they do not support their agenda.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    They need to quit trying to cloud the issue with facts!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Links