I had British visitors yesterday.

This is a discussion on I had British visitors yesterday. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My friend who is half british (his mother is a war-bride) has some English cousin's who "come to US for holiday" every couple of years. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: I had British visitors yesterday.

VIP Member

My friend who is half british (his mother is a war-bride) has some English cousin's who "come to US for holiday" every couple of years. I'd never met them, but asked my friend would his cousin like to shoot a British Enfield, and yes he would. Yesterday, we had them over for lunch. During lunch, my friend and I mentioned to them the importance we American's had with our Constitution and BOR. I mentioned to him that my opinion was contrary to the news media, and that the 2A was in place to deter tyranny in the government. He said, "he'd never thought about that". We had a good discussion with him, no arguments from him at all. Afterwards we walked out to our rural range (well, that would be going out in the backyard). I showed him two British Enfields, he was amazed as to how big and heavy they were. I showed him my other British Enfield that was marked "U.S. PROPERTY", which I assume was originally a lend-lease gun?

I had previously set up some plastic jugs filled with water. A shooter like him gets an extra thrill with something reactionary like that. Though inexperienced, he did very well with shooting, not knowing much background on him I watched him like a hawk for safety issues. He did well there to.

Following the Enfield, I gave him my loaded Garand and let him shoot a clip of ammo. He was in awe at that WWII "raw firepower".

I don't have a Webley, but of course I had a 1911 and let him shoot a mag's worth out of it. Then I asked him was he familiar with "Dirty Harry". He replied, "yes...yes.......make my day". He was in awe over that big Smith as well, and I went easy on him and first loaded it with a .44 special. He did fine, then I told him that he did not actually fire the "magnum", and I asked him would he like to? He said, "yes, he'd have a go at it". He hung on to it very well though he later glanced at me with "saucer-sized" eyes.

I did show him a S&W .500 as a comparison to the .44, while his eyes were bugged out, I think he was relieved when I suggested to him that we not shoot it today.

I was pleased to let him have that opportunity to fire a few guns and give him some photos to share with his friends and family back home. He can also report that we Americans aren't a bunch of crazy cowboys, but simply people who enjoy shooting/hunting, are interested in protecting themselves and our family by exercising our rights.

I'm also thankful that I was the one showing/owning the guns and not in his shoes, of not being able to have any. Man, oh man.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I have a regular British visitor that loves to shoot the Military rifles too. He as over here going to College and dating one of my friends daughters. They would all make a trip out here to shoot each time they were in town. One of his goals is to some day be able to own a firearm. He is back in England right now as the Friends Daughter is now over there doing a year of externship. Shes a premed student at UGA.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I'm also thankful that I was the one showing/owning the guns and not in his shoes, of not being able to have any. Man, oh man.
    We had a foreign visitor at our range several months back. He was amazed at some of the rifles people can own here, and that there were practically no limitations (other than Federal law, GA doesn't have any). He even looked slightly scared at all the ARs with 30 rd mags and the giant .338 Lapua that a member was shooting that day. He was of the opinion that people didn't need things like these.

He was from NY.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

VIP Member
    I regard myself very fortunate to have a British great aunt who was a war bride. At 93, she is still sharp as a tack, and close to my wife and I.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    I have know a couple Brits and these guys were good people . Of coarse they were transplants to the US but they fit in very well with the gun and American way. And i must say love the way they talk.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post

He was from NY.
    You owe me a coffee
    bigmacque, Darrow75 and msgt/ret like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    ppk, Did you let him try out your Mattel "Fanner Fifty"? Give him that old wild west feeling.

Unfortunately the perception the world gets of gun owners in the US is so skewered by the press, they don't know what to expect. Good to let them see first hand what it is all about, not what the liberal press wants them to think.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    You owe me a coffee
    coffee-black.jpg
    TX expat and atctimmy like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

I have a daughter that lives in England with her husband and two children. They have tele programs where the population has had enough of the population being at the mercy of criminals and takes the law into their own hands. The show "Luther" for instance. I'll be returning to the States next week and my CCW. Which was locked in a safe when we left three weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Forgot to mention I hosted a couple of German foreign exchange students to the Backyard range the last two years. They really enjoyed the M1 Garand. They took pictures back home. I am sure there mothers are thrilled!

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    My wife's parents are from Scotland and they have family visit from overseas every year or two. I have had some talks with the family visitors about the 2A and us "gun nuts" not being as nutty as the media would have people believe and I think I've helped them see the truth. I hope to take them shooting next time they're in town.
    accessbob likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Following the Enfield, I gave him my loaded Garand and let him shoot a clip of ammo.
    Attn: CNN, NBC, CBS, ABC, and the White House. This how to appropriately use the term "clip".

Did you guys talk about the crime spike following the British gun confiscation?

Thank you to you, and all responsible gun owners who introduce new shooters to our sport!

Jolly good job, old Chap.
    ppkheat likes this.

You did a great service! Nice of you to have so much fun with him!

Can I visit?

We get a lot of European visitors to Cripple Creek and they love the six-shooters and coach guns.

i had some German guys that came over for business a couple times for extended stays. After they had been around for a few weeks we were talking about their thoughts and they both agreed that they were sort of disappointed AND relieved that the perception cast on the USA wasn't true. I asked them to clarify. They basically said that if you watch the news and read about what goes on here, its the wild west. Like literally people walking around shooting at each other over everything. So they were interested to see the "Action" but also relieved that it wasnt true because they were afraid of getting injured. They said it was all quite "boring" compared to their expectations.
    ccw9mm likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links