Florida: Stand your ground poll

This is a discussion on Florida: Stand your ground poll within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm under the impression that most people don't have a problem with the stand your ground (statute?) but I don't see anyone opposing the people ...

View Poll Results: FL Stand Your Ground, Stay or Go

Voters
251. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stay, we need to keep Stand your Ground in place

248 98.80%
  • Go, we need to get rid of Stand Your Ground or drastically change it

3 1.20%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Florida: Stand your ground poll

I'm under the impression that most people don't have a problem with the stand your ground (statute?) but I don't see anyone opposing the people sitting at the capitol in Tallahassee that are trying to get rid of stand your ground, so now I am wondering if im off base. Gov Rick Scott said that he had no plans of getting rid of Stand your Ground today on the news. It occurred to me that anything is possible and if enough people jump on board they might actually be able to do away with SYG. I personally think Stand Your Ground is fine and need not be toyed with.
    CWOLDOJAX and Smarshe like this.

Distinguished Member
    No reason to oppose unreasonable people here in Florida. Our SYG law was already reviewed when the Zimmerman mess first occurred and was found to be good as is except for some minor stuff to clear up some wording. Those who do not live in a State where guns are not just tolerated, hidden and not mentioned in public, have no idea of how nice it is to live here in Florida. Here, those who oppose guns are the ones who have to keep their mouths shut in public, not the gun owners. We have billboards on our highways advertising gun stores and you can talk about guns with just about anyone you run into. Odds are that they or someone close to them owns a gun.

P.S. - Since this is a gun related forum you really do not need a poll to figure out the answer. :)
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

I voted "Go, we need to get rid of Stand Your Ground " just to give the graph some color
    WINTEJER000 likes this.

In FL, we have folks speaking out like Col. Allen West (USA ret.)
    However, he does not get the air time Jesse "I-still-get-paid-to-bicker" Jackson. The Rev Jesse gets 5 second sound bite on every channel. Col. Allen West gets Fox and blogs
    I am just getting my feet wet with the issues y'all have dealt with, but I prefer Constitutional Carry over SYG... You probably do too.

Senior Moderator
    You have to understand that some of the people that advise the upper echelons of government are some of the most clueless and immoral people in the history of American government. Thus, the decisions they make and the information they put out often do not reflect either reality or public perception.

And, SYG laws are a state issue. In truth, there is nothing that the Federal Government can do about it other than *****, whine ,moan, groan, piss all over themselves and lament about how terrible it is to be able to not have to retreat.

Once you do understand the "entitlement" mentality that is so prevalent in government, and you realize what a bunch of buffoons we have running this country, it becomes painfully obvious how screwed up things really are. This question about SYG is nothing but proof of how stupid things continue to get.

Its not really about SYG laws. Its' about not having to take an ass whipping by a professional thug while you are carrying a gun. The tyrants don't like that. It scares them.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    No reason to oppose unreasonable people here in Florida. Our SYG law was already reviewed when the Zimmerman mess first occurred and was found to be good as is except for some minor stuff to clear up some wording. Those who do not live in a State where guns are not just tolerated, hidden and not mentioned in public, have no idea of how nice it is to live here in Florida. Here, those who oppose guns are the ones who have to keep their mouths shut in public, not the gun owners. We have billboards on our highways advertising gun stores and you can talk about guns with just about anyone you run into. Odds are that they or someone close to them owns a gun.

P.S. - Since this is a gun related forum you really do not need a poll to figure out the answer. :)

I love Florida, I was stationed down there for 3 1/2 years, a cop for 2 1/2 and my wife is from there. Other than bad drivers, sink holes and hurricanes its a great place to live.
    Smarshe likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    The pro self defense community needs to stop giving in to progressive anti gunners and stop reverberating their buzz term, "stand your ground". We need to discuss the common law history of "castle doctrine", and be more specific by using the term "(no) duty to retreat".

I'm boycotting SYG
    tony1990 and PaulRevered like this.

This reminds me of the "is the AR-15 protected by the Second Amendment" poll. Are we taking bets? What's the spread?

Personally, I think we should replace the term "Stand your Ground law" with "Shoot First and Ask Questions Later Preferably After Shooting Some More law." We can't argue past the thick skulls of the anti-gun types, so we might as well just tick 'em off and have some fun with it.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

Captain Bellamy

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    "Duty to Retreat"????? really?
    more like "Flee in Terror"
    msgt/ret and airslot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    I love Florida, I was stationed down there for 3 1/2 years, a cop for 2 1/2 and my wife is from there. Other than bad drivers, sink holes and hurricanes its a great place to live.
    You forgot Love Bugs and Dog Flies... but yea... Florida Native but long expat here.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    "Duty to Retreat"????? really?
    more like "Flee in Terror"
    Yes, really.

Many states' laws word their castle doctrine so that it specifically extends outside the home to anywhere a person is legally allowed to be. In that place, a person has no duty to retreat.

I appreciate the attempt at humor, but this concept has been valuable in avoiding malicious prosecution.
    srings and Oldpsufan like this.

Texas has Castle Doctrine Laws and THANK GOD for them............
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

What these do-gooders don't think about is that retreating may not be an option for some of us. In my case I am in congestive heart failure, so running away is out. I am also not going to try and duke it out with anybody. Just one of the reasons that I carry.
    Ghost1958 and Oldpsufan like this.
    "We've already run the misfits out of our country." Matthew Quigley

"Stand your ground" was considered common sense, until the 1968 gun control law was passed, and numerous Libs went crazy and getting anti-gun laws passed in the 70's. Some people were really sleeping during that period. Now, they have to legislate "stand your ground" , just to get back "common sense".
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Im hard pressed to think of situation that ones life truly would be in danger short of an mass shooter where trying to retreat would not put the person in greater danger.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links