2nd Amendment Activist/Lobbies?

This is a discussion on 2nd Amendment Activist/Lobbies? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey All, it seems to me that lately the NRA has been quiet ever since Wayne LaPierre testified at the gun violence senate hearing earlier ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By ccw9mm

Thread: 2nd Amendment Activist/Lobbies?

Hey All,
    it seems to me that lately the NRA has been quiet ever since Wayne LaPierre testified at the gun violence senate hearing earlier this year. I don't know about you but I felt as if the whole point of the hearing was to embarass and berate the NRA and other gun owners. Dick Durbin went after that professor as well (forgot his name), and I feel that the NRA is kind of trying to law low after the hearing and not piss anyone off. Ever since 1934 it seems that congress has decided that they will keep imposing new legislation on us because we can't be trusted with our own firearms. I hope a majority of the American populace will remember this come election year and clean house in congress on both sides. Anyways, my question is besides the NRA, what other activist/lobby groups are out there? I feel that we are fighting an uphill battle to even keep our 2nd Amendment rights. If anyone could provide links I would like to contact one of these lobbies and share some ideas with them. I really think we should contact our congressmen, even though many times they ignore the letters we send them. I believe the AWB failed because Americans contacted their congressional reps, which is why many chose to vote against it. Anyways, enough pandering now, hopefully I can find one lobby that is ducking and just trying to take what they can get and will push back.
    -Linny

Wow, Linny. Where you been?

GOA
    SAF
    And a host of others... but start with those... And then look for branches in your state...

And nearly everyone here has written and written and called and faxed and emailed, and and and... ad infinitum.

Right now, all does seem quiet on the front... with the exception of SYG laws... and the national debate over them... (which had not one thing to do with the Zimmerman case)... the left has made it (SYG) their new flanking maneuver.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Second Amendment Foundation (SAF)
    Gun Owners of America (GOA)
    National Rifle Association (NRA)
    Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership (JPFO)
    Virginia Citizens' Defense League (VCDL, an active/effective state lobby group)
    Oregon Firearms Federation (OFF, an active/effective state lobby group)

There are plenty of state-based lobby groups, mostly focused on state-level legislation and the RKBA.

List of Firearms-Related Lobby Organizations @ rkba.org.
    oakchas, sanfordreed and bklynboy like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thanks,
    I have always been a firearms enthusiast, it just hasn't been until recently with the AWB that I started doing my own research. I would ultimately like to see a repal of the NFA, Most parts of the GCA (the only thing left being the prohibited purchasers) and the Hughes Amendment to the FOPA. It seems the tenant argument of anti-gunners is that if we all did background checks must happen all the time. I would concede that if they would do away with NFA, GCA, and the Hughes Amendment. Therefore we would have our "background" checks and leave it up to the states to make their own gun laws. California will always be a lost cause, which is why I escaped to Nevada.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Second Amendment Foundation (SAF)
    Gun Owners of America (GOA)
    National Rifle Association (NRA)
    Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership (JPFO)
    Virginia Citizens' Defense League (VCDL, an active/effective state lobby group)
    Oregon Firearms Federation (OFF, an active/effective state lobby group)

There are plenty of state-based lobby groups, mostly focused on state-level legislation and the RKBA.

List of Firearms-Related Lobby Organizations @ rkba.org.
    More helpful than my reply..
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Also, the lion's share of work the NRA does is to lobby members of congress. Most lobbying is very boring phone calls and meetings. Just because you don't see news stories about the lobbying doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Personally, I say stick with the NRA. I don't agree with everything they may do, but IMHO it's better to have one strong voice speaking a good (if imperfect) message, than to have competing groups squabbling publicly over relatively minor disagreements, which is sure to result if other groups gain prominence.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Personally, I say stick with the NRA. I don't agree with everything they may do, but IMHO it's better to have one strong voice speaking a good (if imperfect) message, than to have competing groups squabbling publicly over relatively minor disagreements, which is sure to result if other groups gain prominence.
    And yet, some of the strongest "wins" for pro-RKBA has been accomplished by SAF and GOA in recent years. IMO, it's all good. So long as they don't "squabble," as you put it. But there's much benefit to having several "brands on the shelves," to target different aspects of the "buying" public. Marketing 101, there.

Plus, having a multi-pronged approach at the national level also frees up the many excellent state-level pro-RKBA lobby groups to focus on what they do best, without interference or squabbling with the "national" groups (NRA, SAF, GOA, etc). VCDL, OFF and several others being prime examples, and little to none of the blowback they might encounter gets on the other groups.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links