Idiot criminal kid kills friend with gun they stole from cop!

This is a discussion on Idiot criminal kid kills friend with gun they stole from cop! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; And now he's gonna get a manslaughter rap. Kid who shot friend with gun they stole from cops to be charged with manslaughter What in ...

Thread: Idiot criminal kid kills friend with gun they stole from cop!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

Idiot criminal kid kills friend with gun they stole from cop!

And now he's gonna get a manslaughter rap.

Kid who shot friend with gun they stole from cops to be charged with manslaughter

What in holy hell are we raising these days?!

It's bad enough when a kid who hasn't been taught gun safety accidentally kills his friend while playing with a gun...

These idiots STOLE A COP'S GUN and played with it, and now one of them is DEAD. I can't say I sympathize one iota with the dead kid; he was there with a gun they stole out of a cop's parked patrol car! I'm sure we'll hear about how both of them are "such good kids, always there to help anybody out. Always had a joke and a smile on his face. Good students, maintained solid C+ averages..."

A 17-year-old boy who shot a friend in the head with an allegedly stolen gun remained Monday at the St. Lucie Regional Juvenile Detention Center in Fort Pierce as Port St. Lucie police applied for a warrant for his arrest on a manslaughter charge.

The state attorney's office will review the application and either approve or deny the warrant.
    Dustin Williams was showing off the handgun Friday and pulled the trigger, not knowing there was a cartridge in the chamber, police said.

Robert Scott Thomas, 16, was hit in the forehead and died Saturday at St. Mary's Medical Center in West Palm Beach.

Police said the loaded gun was stolen from a patrol car parked at the home of Martin County sheriff's deputy George Primm in the teenagers' Fallon Drive neighborhood.

An administrative investigation of whether Primm's gun storage violated any policies will wait until Port St. Lucie police finish their criminal probe, Martin sheriff's officials said Monday.

Sheriff's officials said they don't know whether the patrol car was locked when the gun was taken.

"They'll send us all their paperwork," said Lt. Dennis Fritchie, who heads the professional standards division in charge of an internal investigation. "We just wait until we get theirs. Ours is secondary."

Primm, 52, is on vacation but will return to his regular duties in the traffic division when he returns, officials said.

He's been with the department for more than 26 years, spending much of that time on enforcement against drunken driving. Primm has won many awards from local and state Mothers Against Drunk Driving chapters.

His personnel file shows some disciplinary action but nothing recent.

He's been involved in several crashes, but most have been the fault of other drivers. Early in his career, he was seriously hurt and two men died when he allowed a DUI suspect to sit in the front seat on the way to jail and the handcuffed man grabbed the steering wheel, causing the patrol car to hit another car head-on.
    That last bit is a little disturbing. How was he allowed to remain a cop after a lapse in judgment like that, which killed two people?

And now it's suspected that he might not have locked the car that contained his personal handgun, a Colt .380. I am not one who favors charging the owner of a gun when the gun is stolen, but neither do I think it is responsible to leave a gun in a car. It takes nearly nothing for someone to break into a car and take whatever's been left there. A COP doesn't know this?? Well, regardless, the kid's death is on the head of the other kid, not the cop, really.

Maybe if anti-gun morons didn't push ignorance about guns as a virtue, the kid would have understood how a semi-auto functions, and would have known that even without the mag, the gun was dangerous.

Maybe he even might have known about the BASIC SAFETY RULES that would have precluded playing with the gun like it was a toy in the first place.

2. Remove Ads

What in holy hell are we raising these days?!
    The same sorts of kids we were raising 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, and 70 years ago. You know the ones who don't play by the rules, are reckless, etc. This sort of thing is no different now than in the past.

By the way, if the 'kid' stole the gun, he will undoubtedly be tried as an adult, especially since he killed his friend with it in what is undoubtedly reported as an accident with no other witnesses other than the shooter (at least none reported) and potentially will be an additional manslaughter charge.

That last bit is a little disturbing. How was he allowed to remain a cop after a lapse in judgment like that, which killed two people?
    Simple if he didn't violate any policies of the department, then he would not be disciplined, hence not fired.

However, that incident doesn't really have anything to do with the current incident.

No, but in my view, it may give insight into his judgment. I don't think it's in good judgment to do what he did way back with the DUI guy, and I don't think it is in good judgment to leave firearms unattended in a vehicle. The simple reason is that they are easily stolen from vehicles.

If The Two Thugs...

playing with the gun were both responsible for the theft...oh well...
    If only one of the two was a 'criminal' (hard to believe)...sorry for the unintended victim, and I hope the shooter spends his mid-life ages in jail...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    No, but in my view, it may give insight into his judgment. I don't think it's in good judgment to do what he did way back with the DUI guy, and I don't think it is in good judgment to leave firearms unattended in a vehicle. The simple reason is that they are easily stolen from vehicles.
    peacefuljeffrey has read my mind. We all need to use good judgment and it seems as if the officer in question didn't use good judgment, twice. We all make mistakes, though, and we can all learn from them.

Moral of the story: Don't leave firearms sitting exposed in a car.
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

Someone should have taught this kid, and the cop better firearms safety.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

there are times when there is no other option than to leave a gun in the car, I see nothing wrong with this as long as it's hidden and the car is locked (lets assume that it was). Of course it's a risk, but like I said, sometimes there is no other option.

The thing with the DUI is a pretty serious lapse in judgment, however if he's been a cop for 26 years and that happened early in his career, it's very possible that he has grown up and learned a lot since then. I think it's pretty unfair to judge him for something he did so long ago especially since it was done with no malice. Hell, I prefer to not think about some things I did just 5 years ago...

DC Founder
    I leave my gun locked in my truck all of the time. Every day, in fact, since I drive all the way across town to work and am not allowed to carry in the office. I also do it, out of necessity, here when we go to a restaurant that serves alcohol. I expect a large percentage of our members do as well. I don't thinkit is irresponsible in the least....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

There are times when it may be necessitated, sure.

I just think that it certainly should not be a habit. The more time the gun spends exposed to theft by being left in the car, the greater the possibility that it will be there during an auto burglary or theft and be thus in the hands of a BG.

Sounds cold but...It's just too bad they didn't manage to steal a hand-grenade instead.. Take them both out of the gene pool. As it is, sure he'll get a manslaughter rap and he'll be back out in a few years and start all over again except the next time he'll be a prison hardened criminal.

Links