Newtown Permit Applications Surge

This is a discussion on Newtown Permit Applications Surge within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; NEWTOWN, Conn.—The number of people seeking permits to buy guns has surged in this town following the December massacre of schoolchildren by a local man, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Newtown Permit Applications Surge

Post Newtown Permit Applications Surge

NEWTOWN, Conn.—The number of people seeking permits to buy guns has surged in this town following the December massacre of schoolchildren by a local man, even as the parents of some victims had urged stricter weapons laws nationwide.

Through July 24, more than 200 people in Newtown have received new local pistol permits, according to a review of local records, surpassing the 171 new permits issued for all of last year. Such permits are prerequisites for Connecticut permits that allow people to purchase and carry pistols as well as rifles or shotguns.

The rise in Newtown comes in tandem with a general upswing in gun sales nationwide and in Connecticut, which passed tough firearm restrictions after Adam Lanza shot and killed 26 people, including 20 children, at Sandy Hook Elementary School on Dec. 14. It was the nation's worst shooting of young children.
    In Newtown, Gun Permits Surge After Shooting - WSJ.com

"I think people realize that you can't call the police all the time and expect them to save you," said Newtown resident Bill Stevens, 48 years old, an avid hunter who owns more than a dozen firearms. "It's sinking in to some folks that 'I need to take responsibility for keeping my family safe.' "
    There is some sanity amongst the residents. We should hope more.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    In the words of Mel Allen....

"Well how about that!"

Newtown also just passed some very restrictive local legislation about "shooting ranges."

I lived in the area for about 30 years, and my church of record for 20+ years remains in Newtown, so I know the area well. It's the second-largest town in the state area-wise, with under 30,000 people in about 60 square miles. The town is predominantly suburban but with lots of rural areas where homes sit on lots of 5 acres or more. In the built-up center of town (the 'Borough') shooting has been prohibited for ages, but there are plenty of private properties that can (and have) safely accommodate shooting as well as hunting.

So now the town fathers (I guess some are mothers, too) have decided that 'private ranges' can't have more than one gun at a time shooting, shooting more than 4 hours a day is prohibited, exploding targets are prohibited, and if you want to shoot you have to call the PD and notify them, which starts the 4-hour clock. "it's a quality of life issue" said a member of the committee that put the new regs into place. I'm surprised that haven't required the few farmers left in town to put mufflers and catalytic converters on their cows, and 'suppressors' on their roosters.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Member Array Warrior1256's Avatar
    I bet gun store owners love the antis, every time the antis start making noise gun sales go through the roof.

Now if we could just get these people to remember to vote accordingly.
    Warrior1256 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Sounds like the town "fathers" who came up with the new shooting regulations need to be voted out of office by the more sane members of the community!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Newtown also just passed some very restrictive local legislation about "shooting ranges."

I lived in the area for about 30 years, and my church of record for 20+ years remains in Newtown, so I know the area well. It's the second-largest town in the state area-wise, with under 30,000 people in about 60 square miles. The town is predominantly suburban but with lots of rural areas where homes sit on lots of 5 acres or more. In the built-up center of town (the 'Borough') shooting has been prohibited for ages, but there are plenty of private properties that can (and have) safely accommodate shooting as well as hunting.

So now the town fathers (I guess some are mothers, too) have decided that 'private ranges' can't have more than one gun at a time shooting, shooting more than 4 hours a day is prohibited, exploding targets are prohibited, and if you want to shoot you have to call the PD and notify them, which starts the 4-hour clock. "it's a quality of life issue" said a member of the committee that put the new regs into place. I'm surprised that haven't required the few farmers left in town to put mufflers and catalytic converters on their cows, and 'suppressors' on their roosters.
    No exploding targets? Then what the hell's the POINT?!?
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Yep... this story just doesn't want to be told..... 45 people killed, 38 of them school children......... when the school was 'attacked'.
    If his attack would have 'worked ' as planned, the death toll would have been MUCH higher.

Survivors Recall 1927 Michigan School Massacre : NPR
    The total death toll in the Bath School disaster was 45, including Kehoe. Thirty-eight of those killed were children. Huffman remembers one family that lost three children that day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

My point is only that bad people, will do bad things, and it doesn't take 'gun's to do it. Nor was Sandy Hook the worse school disaster of kids being killed in the USA.
    You have to stop 'bad people' ...... but it's not a new problem.
    CIBMike likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    "I think people realize that you can't call the police all the time and expect them to save you," said Newtown resident Bill Stevens, 48 years old, an avid hunter who owns more than a dozen firearms. "It's sinking in to some folks that 'I need to take responsibility for keeping my family safe.' "
    One would think it'd take far less than destruction of one's own children to come to this realization. It's not like grossly long response times are a secret, in most communities. Plus, it's not as though a violent felon who catches up to you is going to allow you the opportunity to hang on the phone with 911 and then wait around until the cavalry arrives. The truth is there for all to see. Has been, for a long, long time.

Good to see some are waking up, finally.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Huh, folks finally taking some responsibility for their own safety, imagine that. Shame that it takes a tragedy to make some folks get their heads outta the clouds.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Permits are going to surge all over CT simply because of the recent legislation passed. You can no longer buy a firearm OR ammunition (10/13) without some type of permit.

Long Gun = Long Gun Permit or Pistol Permit
    Handgun = Pistol Permit
    Ammunition = Ammunition Eligibility Certificate, Long Gun Permit or Pistol Permit

Seeing as the Long Gun Permit has virtually the same requirements as a Pistol Permit, CT will likely see more applications due to Fudd's and people who are now interested in firearms.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I know it's not a new concept but wow, you have to get a permit to exercise a constitutional right in CT.

I love Kansas.
    Brad426 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    I think all these high profile crimes have had a very large effect on any gun related issue from , Ammo , permits , buying guns and anything else i did not cover because of people concerned they will have tighter restrictions on all of the above . I know i have been buying like crazy just because laws are changing in Maryland .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    I know it's not a new concept but wow, you have to get a permit to exercise a constitutional right in CT.

I love Kansas.
    Question: if it requires a permit can it still be called a right? Or has moved into "privilege" territory?

Heads up everyone, that's a rhetorical question... no answer required.
    mprp, joker1 and Rock and Glock like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Huh, folks finally taking some responsibility for their own safety, imagine that. Shame that it takes a tragedy to make some folks get their heads outta the clouds.
    And out of those, I'm wondering how many of them are saying, "Oh my word, this stuff DOESN'T just happen on TV."
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links