Moving from Texas to Chicago - Have Handgun and AR-15, What can I do?

This is a discussion on Moving from Texas to Chicago - Have Handgun and AR-15, What can I do? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Wait, I thought that the new CCW bill would not require you to register your handguns....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Moving from Texas to Chicago - Have Handgun and AR-15, What can I do?

Wait, I thought that the new CCW bill would not require you to register your handguns.

2. Remove Ads

I would suggest the same thing as joker1.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stylus View Post

As for the guns: If you keep them then you have to get an FOID card, which means gun registration. Brake them down, put a lot of locks through every component you can and put them in a box, never to be touched while in IL.
    Just because you have an Illinois FOID card doesn't mean your firearms are being registered. Have you ever filled out a 4473?
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Quote Originally Posted by Wunderneun View Post
    Just because you have an Illinois FOID card doesn't mean your firearms are being registered.
    Then I was mistaken. I've never lived in IL or had an FOID card. I thought your guns were connected to your FOID. I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Wunderneun View Post
    Have you ever filled out a 4473?
    Many times, but the few guns I own today were privately bought, which means no paperwork of any kind.

VIP Member
    As Snub pointed out, just leave them in TX, in loving hands.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Unless you're worried about an "assault" weapons ban, you can always just sell the AR and buy another one later. You cannot however, buy any more time with your dad. If storage doesn't seem like a good idea, just buy another one later.

You can always find some other, not so evil looking, platform to do target practice with.

Quote Originally Posted by TexanToChicago View Post
    I really do not want to depart from my beloved guns. I have to move back for at least a year as my father is in poor health, so not much choice here.

If anyone is familar with Chicago (like the city city, not the verbs, by Wrigley Park area) please let me know.

I've searched around and the laws keep changing and I',m not getting a clear answer.

Can someone tell me what I can do to keep my firearms, at least in storage at my home? Can I just disassemble them to a non working state? Is that legal? I know I have to register, but I don't think my AR15 is even registrable there because of its 'looks. (folding stock, muzzle break etc). Stupid ****. Anyways, I'd like to take it to the range in legal areas once in a while to keep my skills up.

Please inform me what options I have.
    Stay in Texas?
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Quote Originally Posted by gregivq View Post
    To clarify further...Chicago handgun ban has been struck so you can certainly keep them. I would just make sure that you have a FOID card before or else you may get some Crook County knocking on your door. The AR15 would be best kept outside of Chicago. I am sure you will find someone to store this for you. There are many gun shops and ranges that could and even finding a member on this board shouldn't be an issue.
    +1 on this. Handguns are okay with a FOID. The AR is not allowed. CC is coming but the state is taking its sweet time.

There are two rules in Chicago. No one puts ketchup on a hot dog and no one calls Wrigley Field a park...:)
    Wunderneun and gregivq like this.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    don't move...still holding guns from a friend that moved there.. 2 months ago he's waiting to get a FOID card..
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by jblives2ride View Post
    don't move...still holding guns from a friend that moved there.. 2 months ago he's waiting to get a FOID card..
    Exactly why I think you should have all of the copies from Illinois State Police. You know, when the application was sent, the received check, maybe a follow up with ISP. All that would help in case Crook County decides to knock on your door and take your weapons. It does seem that out of state people tend to get their FOIDs a little faster. And again, CCW has been signed which allows for any Chicago handgun law to be banished. Unfortunately, they did pass an assault weapons ban which is in effect. Any evil looking rifle over able to hold over 10 rounds has got to go.

Can't comment on the gun issue but prayers for you and your father.
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

No question. Move dad to Texas.
    oneshot and Bassindude like this.

VIP Member
    If his health isn't beyond traveling to Texas, why not move him to where you are?
    People have done this in the past so their own life is not totally upended.

Prayers sent to you and yours for your fathers comfort and peace.
    Hopyard likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum, and prayers to your dad. I have no input on the subject for you, but the others gave some good advice.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

"I have to move back for at least a year as my father is in poor health, so not much choice here."

It is a choice and being there for a sick parent is a decision you likely will not regret. Regardless of what you decide to do with your firearms (some good suggestions have already been mentioned), Godspeed to you and your family.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links