Moving from Texas to Chicago - Have Handgun and AR-15, What can I do?

This is a discussion on Moving from Texas to Chicago - Have Handgun and AR-15, What can I do? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I really do not want to depart from my beloved guns. I have to move back for at least a year as my father is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Moving from Texas to Chicago - Have Handgun and AR-15, What can I do?

New Member Array TexanToChicago's Avatar

Moving from Texas to Chicago - Have Handgun and AR-15, What can I do?

I really do not want to depart from my beloved guns. I have to move back for at least a year as my father is in poor health, so not much choice here.

If anyone is familar with Chicago (like the city city, not the verbs, by Wrigley Park area) please let me know.

I've searched around and the laws keep changing and I',m not getting a clear answer.

Can someone tell me what I can do to keep my firearms, at least in storage at my home? Can I just disassemble them to a non working state? Is that legal? I know I have to register, but I don't think my AR15 is even registrable there because of its 'looks. (folding stock, muzzle break etc). Stupid ****. Anyways, I'd like to take it to the range in legal areas once in a while to keep my skills up.

Please inform me what options I have.

You can send them to me and stay out of jail. Im kidding. I honestly dont know. Supposedly the all powerful to some Surpreme Court said they had to ease up on their gun laws. I have not seen that happening much yet despite deadlines etc. And guess what no federal troops crossing in to enforce the SCOTUS decrees.

Maybe somone from there can jump in and help you out. Hope it works out for you.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I googled it and saw that you need go get a FOID, here's a link for one of those:

FOID Card Application

Welcome to the site, and I'm sorry your Dad is not well.
    oneshot likes this.
    Ephesians 2:8-9 (KJV)

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
    9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

~ The Apostle Paul ~

VIP Member
    You might try to find a gun store outside of Cook county that will store the AR for you. Apply for the FOID card when you arrive. With concealed carry finally passed in this God forsaken state FOID processing times are expected to increase.

The law says you must be issued or denied a FOID card within 30 days, but since when has Illinois ever followed their own laws? My latest renewal over a year ago took 55 days to receive. Times now could exceed 60-90 days.

There is a 60 day grace period for new residents. Non-residents are not required to have a FOID. You will have to decide if you will establish residency in this state. I would probably play it safe and establish residency and obtain a FOID card.

Sorry to hear of your fathers illness.
    I like all kinds of foreign guns.

"Arm yourself because no one else here will save you..."

I don't always use missiles, but when I do it's the Minuteman III LGM-30G

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum, and sorry to hear about your father. My FIL is in poor health and now lives with us, I do understand somewhat your situation.

Hopefully there is some solution for you, I have a friend that lives in/near Chicago and IIRC he has an AR.

Maybe leave it with a Texas FFL, then when you are ready he could ship it up to you via a local Illinois FFL?

Joking aside, I would be happy to store it for you, and guarantee it's return back to you in perfect condition.
    Jaeger likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I think you should apply for the FOID card and keep all of the copies. You could always use the copies to prove that you have applied and are still waiting to hear back. I'm pretty sure you will need to find a friend outside of Chicago to store your AR15. Oh and make sure to print out that NRA letter in case Crook County decides to knock on your door and confiscate your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by TexanToChicago View Post
    I really do not want to depart from my beloved guns. I have to move back for at least a year as my father is in poor health, so not much choice here.

(snip)
    Too bad about your dad, but I've got a couple of questions.
    You're leaving a job in Texas and a home there to make this move?
    If you're going to maintain a Texas residence, why not just leave your hardware there?

There's no CCW in place yet in Illinois, so that's out.

I think your best options are as others have suggested. Just don't take them. Or just don't go, but of course, that appears to be out.

Best wishes for your pop.

I offer free AR storage and ammo disposal.

VIP Member
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Illinois is full of good people (Cook County even has a few, they haven't run them all out!). Maybe there's a member just outside Cook County who is willing to put your firearms in their safe. So you don't have to drive to Louisiana...
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

...if you find you can't legally take them with you, it's perfectly legal to leave them with anyone in Texas who could legally purchase/own a firearm...no paperwork required...until you return...

...now watch the volunteers make this the longest thread in DC history...
    airslot likes this.

To clarify further...Chicago handgun ban has been struck so you can certainly keep them. I would just make sure that you have a FOID card before or else you may get some Crook County knocking on your door. The AR15 would be best kept outside of Chicago. I am sure you will find someone to store this for you. There are many gun shops and ranges that could and even finding a member on this board shouldn't be an issue.

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    WOW sorry to hear about your Dad, had my in laws move in for about three months while they sold their home of 39-yrs and find somewhere to move to; getting old sucks & poor health sucks more . . . .

It seems you may have only three choices

A) store everything in Texas in a secure location since you seem to plan on returning there at some point

B) store or sell some of your firearms you can not legally take to Chicago

C) then take with you to Chicago what you can legally possess there

Good Luck and I hope your Dad gets better soon

VIP Member
    You could leave them here. I'll make sure they get plenty of exercise and are well fed and I'll also make sure they have been thoroughly cleaned before they retire for the evening. We offer secure deluxe carpeted accommodations with humidity control and motion activated LED lighting. We have a very friendly and active community here and we have several group outings as well as private excursions. We are Glock, 1911, revolver and long gun friendly and do not discriminate no matter what your caliber, color, length or action happens to be and we accept firearms from any manufacturer with any modifications and/or attachments. Magazines of any capacity are welcome. Guests are encouraged to bring plenty of ammo but rest assured, we do have ammo available on site for those who prefer to travel light. Reservations preferred but Walk-ins are always welcome. For directions and further details send PM.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by TexanToChicago View Post

If anyone is familar with Chicago (like the city city, not the verbs, by Wrigley Park area) please let me know.

I've searched around and the laws keep changing and I',m not getting a clear answer.

Can someone tell me what I can do to keep my firearms, at least in storage at my home? Can I just disassemble them to a non working state? Is that legal? I know I have to register, but I don't think my AR15 is even registrable there because of its 'looks. (folding stock, muzzle break etc). Stupid ****. Anyways, I'd like to take it to the range in legal areas once in a while to keep my skills up.

Chicago has an assault-weapon ban in force, you may not be able to bring your AR15 at all. Any 30rnd mags have to go, I believe they're all banned regardless.

As for the guns: If you keep them then you have to get an FOID card, which means gun registration. Brake them down, put a lot of locks through every component you can and put them in a box, never to be touched while in IL.

Do you have family or a good friend (other than the knuckledraggers on this forum who are suddenly your best bud) in Texas that could store some of them? If not, I'm in between TX and IL just in case...

Sorry to hear about your dad. Been there, done that and didn't want the t-shirt. Go spend whatever time you can with him.
    hammer2213, airslot and Sarge65 like this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links