A lot of angst over armed people drinking coffee

This is a discussion on A lot of angst over armed people drinking coffee within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Washington State Open Carry activist Jim Beal is having an interesting day regarding the so-called “Starbucks Appreciation Day” promoted by gun rights advocates, including some ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: A lot of angst over armed people drinking coffee

A lot of angst over armed people drinking coffee

Washington State Open Carry activist Jim Beal is having an interesting day regarding the so-called “Starbucks Appreciation Day” promoted by gun rights advocates, including some in Newtown, Conn., where gun control proponents have been proclaiming moral outrage that armed citizens might have coffee in the same town where the Sandy Hook tragedy occurred less than eight months ago.

For Washington OC crowd, Saturday is coffee day - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

2. Remove Ads

Just what we need a bunch of gun owner wired up on coffee packing in town.
    I am ok with that I bet the coffee shop is the safest place in town.

Warrior1256 likes this.

VIP Member
    Oh the hoooorrrooorrr.

Newtown "Starbucks Appreciation Day" Shows What's Wrong With Gun Advocates

Today, gun rights advocates are holding a "Starbucks Appreciation Day" at Starbucks locations around the country. They support Starbucks because they serve as one of the few corporations that allow people to bring in their weapons at their shops. Of particular notice is the gathering happening at the Starbucks located at 34 Church Hill Road in Newtown, Connecticut. This Starbucks happens to be a 3-minute drive from Sandy Hook Elementary School, where in December 2012, a 21-year-old man who had just killed his mother walked in with a cache of legally-owned guns and slaughtered 26 other people, including children, before turning a gun on himself.

It would be easy to target gun owners or Starbucks on this utterly appalling and despicable gathering. But that would be wrong. Gun owners, by and large, are not the "advocates" we are seeing here. They are average people, who have different reasons of owning guns, but tend to stay out of the politics of the matter, and are okay with the rights they have. Even those who are hobbyists are not that political about it. As for Starbucks, they are a corporation that sets its own policies surrounding what happens at their stores. There are plenty of other places to get coffee these days, even in Newtown.
    Newtown "Starbucks Appreciation Day" Shows What's Wrong With Gun Advocates - Carbonated.TV
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I don't think this is what people mean by "bullets, beans, and bandaids."
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

VIP Member
    So Starbucks , says whatever the local laws are they will comply . Is this policy been in place for awhile or is it a new thing . I may have to buy from them if they hold true to the 2A issue .
    Sister likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    Gun Safety is Life Safety
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sigs View Post
    Wow, no gunbattles inside? Amazing....</sarcasm off>
    EDC - Glock 36 OR Glock 30, Ruger LC9, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Quite frankly I'd be more worried about friends I know with guns who don't have access to coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    ... where gun control proponents have been proclaiming moral outrage that armed citizens might have coffee in the same town where the Sandy Hook tragedy occurred less than eight months ago.
    I can see the next week or month (after a Newtown-like tragedy unfolding) being a bit sticky, for anyone trying it in that town, perhaps, out of simple respect for the innocents. I don't imagine it would have gone down well in Killeen, TX, soon after the Luby's massacre either. But then, just down the road at Ft. Hood, I'm sure nobody would have thought less of folks for bumping up the radar after the Hassan murders at the base. It's all a matter of perspective.

But at some point those with pent-up moral outrage will need to get on with their lives, and get back to the business of being able to distinguish between the BG's and the GG's. Upstanding citizens choosing to remain armed in their communities, irrespective of whether they drink coffee at a local hangout or suck on kiwi fruit in the park, aren't the problem or the threat. "Moral" outrage? Sounds like small-mindedness, vindictiveness and missing the point, to me.
    Pawatch and RicT like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    So Starbucks , says whatever the local laws are they will comply . Is this policy been in place for awhile or is it a new thing . I may have to buy from them if they hold true to the 2A issue .
    Always been that way.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

so far as i know, this has always been Starbucks' position. it's not so much a pro-Second Amendment stand, as it is a refusal to be bullied by the anti-gun crowd, which is admirable in itself, of course.

Everybody, stand back!!!! He's armed and all jacked up on skinnymochalattefrapachinaspresso!!!!!

My response to the nitwits would be, "I guarantee you no one will be able to come into the Starbucks on that particular day and successfully pull off a mass execution."
    oldskeetshooter and msgt/ret like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Anybody that doesn't like it can kiss my grits.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact Pro - Gave it to my Daughter to carry.
    Carry Pistol. Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact Pro Duotone 13+1.
    Carry Pistol. Bersa Thunder 9 HC Pro Duotone 17+1.
    Politicians should be limited to 2 terms - One in office and one in prison.

We have done this many times at Star Bucks in Wisconsin and been welcomed strange for such a liberal company.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I can see the next week or month (after a Newtown-like tragedy unfolding) being a bit sticky, for anyone trying it in that town, perhaps, out of simple respect for the innocents. I don't imagine it would have gone down well in Killeen, TX, soon after the Luby's massacre either. But then, just down the road at Ft. Hood, I'm sure nobody would have thought less of folks for bumping up the radar after the Hassan murders at the base. It's all a matter of perspective.

But at some point those with pent-up moral outrage will need to get on with their lives, and get back to the business of being able to distinguish between the BG's and the GG's. Upstanding citizens choosing to remain armed in their communities, irrespective of whether they drink coffee at a local hangout or suck on kiwi fruit in the park, aren't the problem or the threat. "Moral" outrage? Sounds like small-mindedness, vindictiveness and missing the point, to me.

Unfortunately, the whole point is NOT to distinguish between BG's and GG's. If they did that, they couldn't pass laws that target GG's, and therefore some human beings would remain beyond their control - which is unacceptable to them.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links