Militia and gun laws in SC

Militia and gun laws in SC

This is a discussion on Militia and gun laws in SC within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Tonight at the local Tea Party group I belong too we had Senator Hembree talk. He's great and a brand new Senator here in SC ...

Thread: Militia and gun laws in SC

Distinguished Member

Question Militia and gun laws in SC

Tonight at the local Tea Party group I belong too we had Senator Hembree talk. He's great and a brand new Senator here in SC (surfer dude in his younger days). My friend (former military) and several others are starting a local chapter of SC militia and asked Senator Hembree about the gun laws concerning 2A and the militia.

From what I understand in his answer, the Senator said the rules were different and that the feds were not involved when it came to the State militia's and guns.

Is there anyone here that can explain to me how this works. I read the constitution and know what it says, since this is true then why can't other states like NJ and NY and Conn. get together and start a State militia to keep their guns?

Would love to hear some input on this.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

VIP Member
    Because state laws in SC don't influence state laws in NJ and NY. I don't know if SC is more lax for the "militia" in SC or not. But federal gun laws apply regardless of whether you call your buddies a militia or not.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member
    Maybe I said it incorrect, let me try again.

The Constitution, Article I Section 8, 15th and 16th paragraph:

To provide for the calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions; To provide for organizing, arming and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

I don't seen anything about some States can and some can't?

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    May I suggest you first gain a understanding of the word "Militia", how they operate and are directed by who?

http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/10c13.txt

South Carolina Bill Exempts Unorganized Militia From Federal Gun Grab

SOF on Militias

Why not join a militia in your state that is already fully functioning?
    There are several who are quite functional and effective.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Distinguished Member
    Hey Thanks!
    Senate Bill 427 says that Lee Bright was one of the 4 that signed it. He was the speaker last night and is running against the RINO Graham. BTW, any folks in SC that are interested please PM me. We got a big thing going on here in Myrtle Beach on Aug. 24th. Not going into it to keep within forum rules.

Good reading, esp the second one. It's great to live in a pro gun state - but I sure would love to find some loopholes for our Yankee friends, my heart goes out to them how their constitutional rights are being trampled upon.

Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    May I suggest you first gain a understanding of the word "Militia", how they operate and are directed by who?

http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/10c13.txt

South Carolina Bill Exempts Unorganized Militia From Federal Gun Grab

SOF on Militias

Why not join a militia in your state that is already fully functioning?
    There are several who are quite functional and effective.

~ Jesus ~

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Just wish it were a more pro-gun state. We are quickly falling behind our neighbors.

SC is a beautiful state for sure, especially down around Parris Island!! I just wish they would honor my MS CCW...........I guess I should look into the non-resident process for SC. (I have family in NC)
    "In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.....those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
    -Clint Eastwood "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckNekkid View Post
    SC is a beautiful state for sure, especially down around Parris Island!! I just wish they would honor my MS CCW...........I guess I should look into the non-resident process for SC. (I have family in NC)
    I am not sure you will find that freindly as well . The way i understand it you need to be in a state that has Recip. with them or own property there . Not sure of another way .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckNekkid View Post
    I've got a rental house I'll sell you. Then you're in like Flynn.

Sponsored Links