local news story/ gun control

This is a discussion on local news story/ gun control within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ok, I'm a long time reader and first time writer. Don't know if this is the right place for this (please move or delete if ...

Thread: local news story/ gun control

local news story/ gun control

ok, I'm a long time reader and first time writer.
    Don't know if this is the right place for this (please move or delete if not).

This story was on the local news last night and I would like everyones opinion on this. I will be seeing the news reporter next week and I plan on giving him my .02 worth!

heres the link (watch video!)
    http://www.wsaz.com/home/headlines/4772426.html

And yes I do have my ccw, been to walmart -ate the nachos........

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Interesting. A media outlet that actually gives both sides some talking points. I'd give the reporter some congratulations for some more or less "balanced" reporting.

Course you don't need us to cheerlead what some of the interviewed people already said!

I did think it was funny how they showed an old World War 2 Luger when they referred to "cheap" guns. haha
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

The U.S. Justice Department says more than 200 million Americans own at least one gun.
    That seems awfully high. Didn't it make news sometime during the last few weeks that the population in the US hit 300m? This would mean that 2/3 of the population of every man, woman, and child owns at least one gun.

I don't know about that one.

Maybe they meant to convey that there are 200 million guns in private ownership in America. That seems more plausible.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post
    Maybe they meant to convey that there are 200 million guns in private ownership in America. That seems more plausible.
    I agree. I don't believe 200 million different Americans own guns. I do believe that there are 200 million guns owned by Americans.

At least they tried to get people to think about whether gun laws were actually helping victims or criminals. I get frustrated when an anti gives an incomplete thoughts like that old lady, "I guess people use them(guns) to defend themselves but guns are just so dangerous". Ummm...yea...
    Last edited by Bando; November 30th, 2006 at 04:16 PM.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Others Have Spoken...I'll, Welcome...

from Centra Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Bando View Post
    I get frustrated when an anti gives an incomplete thoughts like that old lady, "I guess people use them(guns) to defend themselves but guns are just so dangerous". Ummm...yea...
    Reminds me of a quote from Jeff Cooper. Asked, isn't it dangerous to carry a cocked pistol?, his answer was a big-ol' grin and "you betcha!"

Thought if anything it was pro-gun. Not bad for the media.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by Bando View Post
    At least they tried to get people to think about whether gun laws were actually helping victims or criminals. I get frustrated when an anti gives an incomplete thoughts like that old lady, "I guess people use them(guns) to defend themselves but guns are just so dangerous". Ummm...yea...
    I agree.

I feel bad for the loss of her granddaughter and all, but the old lady needs to take a step back and ask was it the gun (the object) that's at fault, or was it the obviously psychotic-lunitic boyfriend she was dating. If she's somehow in so much denial that she missed the signs he was a psycho, then she's got a skewed sense of reality. Signs someone is violent to the point of murder does not happen in the confines of a bubble.

Two million guns? Just hearing that makes me feel safer.

Overall, pretty well balanced. Good find KyGuy
    Last edited by razorblade; December 1st, 2006 at 12:56 AM.

So would she have been any happier if he had beat her granddaughter to death with a ball bat or hammer, strangled her, ran over her with a car, or poisoned her, it is the system that is at fault here not some inanimate object, that is what she and all of the liberals need to realize. But then that is just too simple for them to grasp.
    I Have to agree that it was a well balanced story.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post
    That seems awfully high. Didn't it make news sometime during the last few weeks that the population in the US hit 300m? This would mean that 2/3 of the population of every man, woman, and child owns at least one gun.

I don't know about that one.

That and the thing about the Luger being a "cheap gun" call the entire story into question, no?

If I look to a reporter or author to give me facts, I should not have to know the facts myself in order to check what the reporter tells me! If I have to already know what is true and what is not, then the reporter is not informing me, is he?

Geez, I wished the Luger was a cheap gun, mine costs... well, lets just say that I've always wanted a luger and price at that time was no object

As for the reporting, well, maybe some outlets are catching a clue and thinking for once that maybe the anti's are wrong, but then again, it may be a way to make us go back to sleep and then BOOMYAH, we get hosed.

When will people learn that it's not an object that is the cause of the ills of this world, it's the animals that walk upon two legs upon it.

Wayne

This page has a couple of those "cheap" Lugers, one for $8900 and one with the original box for a low low price of $15,000.
    Of course Sarah Brady wants to get these Saturday Night Specials off the street ASAP, bless her little heart...
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Links