Pride of Ignorance on Firearms

This is a discussion on Pride of Ignorance on Firearms within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; www.nationalreview.com/article/357047/pride-ignorance-firearms-charles-c-w-cooke National Review hits the nail on the head again. Too few Americans are intelligent enough to get it though....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Pride of Ignorance on Firearms

Pride of Ignorance on Firearms

www.nationalreview.com/article/357047/pride-ignorance-firearms-charles-c-w-cooke

National Review hits the nail on the head again.

Too few Americans are intelligent enough to get it though.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

2. Remove Ads

Excellent article!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Bookmarked for later...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Good read. I want my free Obama L A W rocket launcher along with my bamy phone.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Speaking as a pretty liberal guy, I also agree with the article. It's really puzzling to me that most current liberals are so anti gun. It didn't used to be so. Frankly it's baffling how each party came to despise different parts of the Constitution. A very good read; bookmarked it as well!
    Saint77 and OD* like this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Speaking as a guy whose political predilections are somewhere to the right of Attila the Hun, it isn't puzzling at all. We have one party who has always been willing to lead the charge on infringing on Constitutional liberties, going back to at least Woodrow Wilson, and the other party running along behind bleating "me too." The false choice that several generations of the people of this nation have been offered by our major political parties is meant to be baffling.
    peckman28 likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

VIP Member
    Cooke has written a number of thoughtful articles on 2A issues. I'm still miffed at NR for Lowry's "Sharpton got it Right" article, in which the NR abandoned some bedrock constitutional principles after being swept away by the emotional tide, but Cooke's articles have brought me back (I now view Lowry's articles with the "authored by a New York Republican" skepticism).
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Pretty decent essay. Particularly good shots at the misguided piece referenced by the author, to which he's essentially replying. Gads, that Adam Winkler piece (lies) was a crock, missing the point of the 2A in the extreme.

The 2A was created to help the People ensure they'd retain control of this potential unruly beast called central government.

The 2A was created to ensure the People would always have the means of defense, of themselves, of their communities and of liberty.

The 2A was recognition of the right each of the People had, it didn't grant them anything they didn't already have, and it was in direct response to the fears of a tyrannical government going awry in future that it was enshrined as one of the foundation pillars.

Yup.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    www.nationalreview.com/article/357047/pride-ignorance-firearms-charles-c-w-cooke

National Review hits the nail on the head again.

Too few Americans are intelligent enough to get it though.
    I don't get it. I mean I totally get get it.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Pretty decent essay. Particularly good shots at the misguided piece referenced by the author, to which he's essentially replying. Gads, that Adam Winkler piece (lies) was a crock, missing the point of the 2A in the extreme.

The 2A was created to help the People ensure they'd retain control of this potential unruly beast called central government.

The 2A was created to ensure the People would always have the means of defense, of themselves, of their communities and of liberty.

The 2A was recognition of the right each of the People had, it didn't grant them anything they didn't already have, and it was in direct response to the fears of a tyrannical government going awry in future that it was enshrined as one of the foundation pillars.

Yup.
    Yup indeed.

And the feckless evil that sits in government over "we the people" badly wants to insulate and preserve itself from us. That's the true reason for "gun control" in all its traitorous shamefulness. The claims that they want and need gun control to protect us from ourselves is a lie.
    Patti and NONAME762 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Speaking as a pretty liberal guy, I also agree with the article. It's really puzzling to me that most current liberals are so anti gun. It didn't used to be so. Frankly it's baffling how each party came to despise different parts of the Constitution. A very good read; bookmarked it as well!
    Many of political dividing lines today don't have much to do with many aspects liberalism. One can be "liberal" today (not in the sense of classical liberalism) and be pro-2A (also interesting how some conservatives that claim to abhor government intrusion demand such intrusion on some issues (think DOMA and state initiatives)). But I think much of the "left" leadership today advocate the "benevolent authority" of cradle-to-grave government involvement. They truly believe that government is better suited to make the correct decisions that will lead the the betterment of quality of human life. The ability of an individual to make life and death decisions one his or her own is antithetical to that view. So I do not think that many gun control advocates have an end game of protecting the government from the people that own it; I think the end-game is taking individual protection out of the individual's hands and placing it squarely within the hands of the government. Let the police and federals protect the individual, because the individual, on his own, cannot be trusted to make the right decision.
    rammerjammer and Tzadik like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Very good article

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Marginally interesting, but mainly a massive strawman argument. I know way too many liberals who own guns and way too many conservative republicans who think nobody but cops should have them.

In reality, it seems to be the case that there are people who commit to taking responsibility for self defense, and people who would prefer to outsource that job. So articles like this are just irritating because they are built around a false stereotype. Rather than going off on some tired "liberals blah blah blah..." dead end, it'd be better for the writer to abandon that course and instead talk about "people opposed to private firearm ownership."
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    And the feckless evil that sits in government over "we the people" badly wants to insulate and preserve itself from us.
    The survival of liberty will hinge on how badly we, the People, want to retain it in the face of such evil. I suspect the majority are "boiled frogs" at heart and won't get it until it's far, far too late. I suspect that the percentage who are patriots on the side of liberty and justice won't survive an all-out drubbing inflicted by the super-capable, invasive, standing army that's arrayed against the People. Unless we awaken that sleeping dragon of moral, practical outrage that is our hallmark feature as a People: reversing things, before the beast can dig its claws into everyone, everything, stripping the last vestige of ability to stand from each person. Hence the 2A, and the current war for hearts and minds. The author (Cooke) gets it.
    bmcgilvray and Tzadik like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

"Marginally interesting, but mainly a massive strawman argument. I know way too many liberals who own guns and way too many conservative republicans who think nobody but cops should have them"

The hypocrisy of a few (no matter how many a person may personally know) does not turn the article into a strawman argument nor does it detract form the essential truth of the matter.
    OD* likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links