Canadaian Police Seize weapons during flood

This is a discussion on Canadaian Police Seize weapons during flood within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Didn't they do this is New Orleans after hurricane Katrina? Just some thoughts and correct me if I'm wrong: Police Seize Guns From Citizens In ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By nontechguy
  • 1 Post By NONAME762
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty
  • 1 Post By Dougb
  • 2 Post By Tzadik

Thread: Canadaian Police Seize weapons during flood

Canadaian Police Seize weapons during flood

Didn't they do this is New Orleans after hurricane Katrina? Just some thoughts and correct me if I'm wrong:Police Seize Guns From Citizens In Canada // Mr. Conservative
    1. Can't the POTUS declare a state of emerency/martial law suspending the Constitution?
    2. What are the length limitations/stipulations under martial law?
    3. If the LEO's did seize weapons, after the crisis how would they know which firearms belonged to whom since there is no national gun registry?
    4. In regards to question 3, would that basically mean that they would not return firearms that were confiscated/seized?
    -Linny
    USMC 2009-2013 0341 Pfc-Cpl.
    OEF II 2 Pumps
    Escaped Californian
    My Blog http://renogunblog.blogspot.com/

2. Remove Ads

I think if they tried something akin to Katrina on a national level, we would be looking at a real mess.
    And you can take that any way you choose.
    blitzburgh and Warrior1256 like this.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Further information here: Give back flood victims' guns, Harper's office tells RCMP - Politics - CBC News

Prime Minister said the RCMP overstepped their authority and should return all weapons seized. This was posted 2 days after the original article was posted.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

"Didn't they do this is New Orleans after hurricane Katrina?"
    Linny--the "they" your refer to was a "he"--the mayor of New Orleans. My understanding is that states are in charge of hurricane recovery and so the governor of a state could declare martial law to (for example) call up the National Guard and declare curfews. Since Katrina, many southern states have passed laws making gun confiscation by local or state authorities illegal after a natural disaster. Of course only law-abiding citizens were relieved of their guns after Katrina.

I don't know too much about the gun laws in Canada. But for RCMP to enter abandoned homes to confiscate firearms is ludicrous to me. They can call it confiscation all they want. I call it just plain looting and theft. A PM acknowledged that RCMP had overstepped their authority and return said weapons. Have they done that? If not WHY NOT?? I'd be interested to know whether search warrants are required in Canada. If they are then did they serve warrants when the confiscations took place?

If RCMP broke the laws purported to protect Canadian citizens then I say it's time there was some house cleaning in the command structure of the RCMP. To do otherwise would prove detrimental to the rights of Canadians.
    Tzadik likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Actually after Katrina Many States passed laws making it Illegal for any LEO's or Military to disarm legally armed law abiding citizens.If they try they may find themselves outgunned.In Texas it is a defense to prosecution to use deadly force against an LEO under certain conditions,that would be one of them
    NONAME762 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

First, Canadian laws are different than the US laws. Canadian citizens can handle this problem. When Canada imposed the registry, many citizens just ignored it, several politicians became unemployed, and their registry, after millions of dollars, prevented no crimes and is being eliminated.

Second, the were securing guns left in the open during a flood, trying to prevent theft by placing the guns in a controlled space rather than left out in plain sight in an empty house. It seems to be routine to search houses for people and bodies during a flood, and guns found in plain sight were removed to an armory. The intention was to return said guns following the return of the owners to their homes.

The article is slanted, distorted, and overstated, apparently to inflame readers. It appears to have worked. The followup article clears up a lot.
    IndianaSig likes this.

Was not getting inflamed, just asking questions in regards to what happened in New Orleans, and wanted to ask a question based on the constitutionality of attempting something like that here in the US of A.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougb View Post
    First, Canadian laws are different than the US laws. Canadian citizens can handle this problem. When Canada imposed the registry, many citizens just ignored it, several politicians became unemployed, and their registry, after millions of dollars, prevented no crimes and is being eliminated.

Second, the were securing guns left in the open during a flood, trying to prevent theft by placing the guns in a controlled space rather than left out in plain sight in an empty house. It seems to be routine to search houses for people and bodies during a flood, and guns found in plain sight were removed to an armory. The intention was to return said guns following the return of the owners to their homes.

The article is slanted, distorted, and overstated, apparently to inflame readers. It appears to have worked. The followup article clears up a lot.
    USMC 2009-2013 0341 Pfc-Cpl.
    OEF II 2 Pumps
    Escaped Californian
    My Blog http://renogunblog.blogspot.com/

Yesterday as I was reading Michigan Firearms laws (yeah I'm a loser) I was please to see:

EMERGENCY POWERS OF GOVERNOR (EXCERPT)
    The People of the State of Michigan enact:
    10.31 Proclamation of state of emergency; promulgation of orders, rules, and regulations;
    seizure of firearms, ammunition, or other weapons.
    Sec. 1. (1) During times of great public crisis, disaster, rioting, catastrophe, or similar public emergency
    within the state, blah, blah, blah
    (3) Subsection (1) does not authorize the seizure, taking, or confiscation of lawfully possessed firearms,
    ammunition, or other weapons.
    History: 1945, Act 302, Imd. Eff. May 25, 1945;¾CL 1948, 10.31;¾Am. 2006, Act 546, Imd. Eff. Dec. 29, 2006.

Then there's this: NRA-ILA | Chris W. Cox's Political Report: ?Disas
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

I don't know anything but the constitution of Canada, but this is the 2A forum; they certainly don't have our 2nd Amendment! It's interesting but not relevant to the US.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by Dougb View Post
    ... Second, the were securing guns left in the open during a flood, trying to prevent theft by placing the guns in a controlled space rather than left out in plain sight in an empty house. It seems to be routine to search houses for people and bodies during a flood, and guns found in plain sight were removed to an armory. The intention was to return said guns following the return of the owners to their homes. ...
    In my locked home is not "in plain sight" If you had to break in to find them... and what of the homes they broke into and found nothing?
    My home is MY home and no one has the right to enter it without a warrant citing specific reason to do so.
    So what if it is Canada? Are Canadians somehow absent of basic rights to be secure in their property?
    NONAME762 and CanuckQue like this.

Links