Jackson MS Town Council Pushing Local Bill To Ban Guns & Knives

This is a discussion on Jackson MS Town Council Pushing Local Bill To Ban Guns & Knives within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Heads up Jackson MS people and anyone that goes into or lives nearby. Jackson town council is pushing a bill that would ban guns and ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By dcdalton
  • 4 Post By ShooterGranny
  • 1 Post By mkh

Thread: Jackson MS Town Council Pushing Local Bill To Ban Guns & Knives

Heads up Jackson MS people and anyone that goes into or lives nearby.

Jackson town council is pushing a bill that would ban guns and knives from (with the exception of law enforcement of course): municipal property, including, but not limited to, City Hall, the Jackson Police Department, the Jackson Police Academy, all public parks, playgrounds, gyms, recreational facilities and fields the city maintains, all meeting places where public meetings of a county, municipality or other governmental body takes place, all political rallies, all parades, all official political meetings and all non-firearm related school, college or professional athletic events.

Jackson Ordinance Seeks to Curb State Gun Law | Jackson Free Press | Jackson, MS
    StormRhydr likes this.
    An Informed Gun Owner Is An Anti-Gunners Worst Nightmare - Stay Informed @ American Gun Owners Alliance

VIP Member
    A really stupid person on our local small-city council introduced a similar bill. Everyone - Mayor, all council members, the whole works, received hundreds of letters in protest. Letters were also written to the area newspapers. Every council meeting was attended by a good size contingency of "us". The letter I wrote reminded them that this bill would make it illegal for anyone to walk or drive within the city limits if they had a gun because roads and sidewalks are city property. I also reminded them that there WOULD be a lawsuit, they would lose, and would have wasted a huge amount of taxpayer money in the process.

At the next council meeting when the vote could have been taken, the mayor and all councilmen apologized and voted unanimously to cancel that bill. They also promised that this wouldn't happen again.

You need to ORGANIZE and protest big time. And do it quickly.
    blitzburgh, mkh, atctimmy and 1 others like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Senior Member Array Warrior1256's Avatar
    It's really sad that these silly things are coming to the south, thought we were more freedom loving.

Push your reps for legislation banning cities counties etc from enacting their own gun bans etc.. We have that in my state. Think a lot of others do as well.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

mkh
    In Florida the state has preemption and local government can't make their own laws though some have tried.
    ezveedub likes this.

MS state law doesn't read like municipalities can make their own laws, but several are trying. Jackson was named the 8th most dangerous city in the US, probably trying to break into the top 5. Jackson is also the home of Judge Kidd of "HB2 is too vague" fame. Jackson's mayor would probably think that banning guns and knifes from streets and sidewalks would be a good thing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowJS View Post
    MS state law doesn't read like municipalities can make their own laws, but several are trying. Jackson was named the 8th most dangerous city in the US, probably trying to break into the top 5. Jackson is also the home of Judge Kidd of "HB2 is too vague" fame. Jackson's mayor would probably think that banning guns and knifes from streets and sidewalks would be a good thing.
    A VERY strong reason for the people to organize and protest, big time! Stand and fight! (But not with your guns.......). Make phone calls, write letters: strong ones, attend any and all meetings that deal with the legislation. Turn out en masse. It works.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    And then they can put up bunches of Gun Free Zone signs. That works so well you know!

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    In Florida the state has preemption and local government can't make their own laws though some have tried.
    Washington State has preemption as well. Seattle tried pass local legislation and it was over ruled by state law. They wanted ban guns from public parks.

http://nraila.org/news-issues/news-f...tle-parks.aspx

Now the mayor of Seattle, Mike Mcginn say businesses should be gun free.

http://watchdog.org/101974/no-guns-a...o-go-gun-free/

As it is I have my family in a Hotel in Jackson on our way to the Gulf Coast for vacation. When I hit Destin I will fed-ex them my receipt and let them know it will be the last dime I ever spend in Jackson if they choose to criminalize their law abiding citizens.

Senior Moderator
    Jackson MS. is the armpit of the south, and it's there that you need to keep your gun close by.

Its no surprise really that a the city council, which are mostly Obamanites want to limit the self protection of its citizens. Its a feel good measure because they are totally and completely ineffective at stopping the real criminals...the ones that make you need to be armed.

I breath a sigh of relief every time I drive through that place. Stupid abounds there.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

One of the problems may be that, I think the new mayor is to the left of Pres Obama!

There is a lot of armpits in this country now. Was going to say more but I will keep my mug shut.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Distinguished Member
    [QUOTE=dcdalton;2899015]Heads up Jackson MS people and anyone that goes into or lives nearby.

Jackson town council is pushing a bill that would ban guns and knives from (with the exception of law enforcement of course): municipal property, including, but not limited to, City Hall, the Jackson Police Department, the Jackson Police Academy, all public parks, playgrounds, gyms, recreational facilities and fields the city maintains, all meeting places where public meetings of a county, municipality or other governmental body takes place, all political rallies, all parades, all official political meetings and all non-firearm related school, college or professional athletic events.

How nice. I'm especially impressed with how all the gang bangers are going to comply - NOT.

How stupid is this. Let's disarm all the law abiding citizens so only the bad guys will be armed? What?? You mean the bad guys won't comply?

Idiots, we are surrounded by idiots.

Laws like this are only desired by idiots and those with kids/relatives that are criminals
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Links