Have We Lost More or Gained More?

This is a discussion on Have We Lost More or Gained More? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Since Sandy Hook, do you feel gun owners have gained more rights or lost more?...

View Poll Results: Have We Lost More or gained More?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lost More

23 43.40%
  • Gained More

30 56.60%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Have We Lost More or Gained More?

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar

Since Sandy Hook, do you feel gun owners have gained more rights or lost more?
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

VIP Member
    Depends on where you're at.

Colorado, Illinois, Mississippi, Missouri - definitely gained

Maryland, Connecticut - went backwards
    Tzadik likes this.

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    I should have re-worded to include the word NATIONALLY in total net.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

VIP Member
    Nationally, we haven't moved much, if any.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I feel that nationally we have gained, even if only in uniting gun owners more so than legal changes. The losses are in those areas I consider a lost cause to begin with--CA, NY, MD, etc. One might count CO as a loss, but in all likelihood, after the results of the recall, that loss will be temporary and give some anti-gun politicians a real wake-up call. Gains would be solidly demonstrated in WI and IL, with additional steps forward in states like NC and others relaxing CC restrictions in restaurant carry and other areas, and a few states adopting OC in addition to CC. And how many states and agencies have told the federals to back off?

It will continue to be a battle, often two steps forward-one step back. Vigilance is necessary to maintain forward momentum.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    The pendulum swings back an forth. It is slowly moving more to the left and less to the right each time it crosses center. I applaud the voters in Colorado for their recent actions. It is going to take a lot more states, doing what Colorado did, to make any significant difference to the nation as a whole.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Quote Originally Posted by oldskeetshooter View Post
    The pendulum swings back an forth. It is slowly moving more to the left and less to the right each time it crosses center. I applaud the voters in Colorado for their recent actions. It is going to take a lot more states, doing what Colorado did, to make any significant difference to the nation as a whole.
    And it should be noted that Colorado is still living with the draconian laws that were rammed through and signed by the Governor in the wake of Aurora and Sandy Hook. Two districts rightly booted two arrogant and stupid losers recently who needed the boot but we are behind in terms of ground lost following the tragedies.

Lost more in the sense that panic-politics makes it easy to shove anti gun legislation through, but it is much more difficult to repeal such legislation once it is in place.
    StormRhydr likes this.

From a practical/applied standpoint the gains for some states about equal the losses in others I think.

HOWEVER, the court precedents set in recent times are ENORMOUS. Some of the precedents set recently will be used to win back rights over the course of the entire next decade and/or century. They haven't had their full effect yet, but over time the recent gains in firearm rights are going to massively overshadow the losses, because the losses were in legislature, much of the gains were in court. And court precedent gets to be used to strike down legislation!

Distinguished Member
    I voted Gained. More people than ever are getting their CWP's, it has brought our 2A into the spotlight and some that never considered getting a gun are getting guns. Case in point is the doctor that BugDude converted by his presentation. Personally, it has opened a door for me to talk with friends and family about it and those that were maybe on the fence are now more comfortable with me having a gun/guns and happy about it. Not as much negative with the two exceptions of ammo being more expensive and the poor two political anti-gunners in CO getting canned for their stance. The people have spoken, I'm very happy about the 2 in CO getting knocked out - this is a precursor to what will happen to the rest of the anti-gunner politicians.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    Since Sandy Hook, do you feel gun owners have gained more rights or lost more?
    Since the Newtown murders, I'd say it's a wash.

But I strongly agree with grbr's assessment in Post #9, regarding the court rulings and precedents being set since in the past handful of years. I think that when they truly start connecting with the road, we'll see huge gains because of them. Strong outcries against tyranny, slippery slopes, the invasiveness of the surveillance state, the lies and deceit, the continued deliberate breach of sworn oaths to protect and defend, the SCOTUS rulings coming down hard in support of the 2A (or, fairly strongly, if not 'hard') ... all of these are turning the tide in many ways.

Only time will tell whether the liberty haters will seek to further undermine things, or whether they'll begin to get the picture that in order to survive within proximity to citizens they are going to have to learn to have a measure of trust of them, to tolerate their rights, to accept a smack-down from SCOTUS, and to get the hint with the strong backlash they've earned ... or else.

In the short run, some states have lost big-time, while many states have continued strengthening their positions and continued to eliminate the anti-gunner detritus from prior years. Even Illinois has begun to smell the coffee, and in time those anti-gunners won't have a leg to stand on either as the Illinois statistics come in to show a heavily-armed and -carrying citizenry correlates strongly with a reduction in violent crime succeeding against innocents.

We'll see.
    BamaT and sensei2 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I would say we had some initial losses after Newton etc. However the high handed tactics of the anti gunners from the legislative underhandedness to web sites that eliminated pro second amendment postings to create an appearance of unanimity for gun control have fueled the backlash. We can't rest on our laurels but we can take heart and turn their 90% lie into ash in their mouths.

i think we and I have gained more. alot more gun owners came together as well as ALOT more NEW gun owners which is great. since sandy hook i wanted to get an AR15 incase i couldn't get one ever again cause they got banned or something so two months ago i found a great deal on one. i'm not saying sandy hook was some what of a good thing because no little kids lives are worth any amount of guns or gains.
    Ghost1958 and tdave like this.
    G23 gen3 HD
    G27 gen3 EDC
    Bushmaster AR15
    Rem 870

As far as actual gains, I feel it is maybe a bit in our favor. The largest gain we have made is awareness of the constitutional deprivations foisted on us by our "leaders". None of them want to touch it in center to right states and now some of the lefties are swinging to the right on this particular issue except in the communist bloc states.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

VIP Member
    Overall, I'd say gained a little. They woke a sleeping giant that they were entirely unaware of in their pristine little circle. Some states are reaping what they've sown.

Now they know who we are, and we sure as heck know who they are.

Now we gotta keep the pressure on, and fire every last one of them from public office.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links