coming soon to a country near you......

This is a discussion on coming soon to a country near you...... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is in response to the latest string of mass shootings by individuals who have significant mental health issues, yet have "slipped through the cracks" ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: coming soon to a country near you......

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

coming soon to a country near you......

This is in response to the latest string of mass shootings by individuals who have significant mental health issues, yet have "slipped through the cracks" and thus killed lots of folks. We can now add the Navy Yard shooting to this list:the headlines today are telling us that in July LE tried to warn the Navy that the shooter had significant mental illness.

Currently, its pretty difficult, legal wise, to get somebody sent to a psychiatric unit against their will. The "bar" is set pretty high.

Obviously this is a "good news/bad news" situation. As a country, we place a high value on individual freedoms, and this is a very good thing. The bad news is that we don't have a really adequate system for identifying and tracking individuals who are possibly on the cusp of truly being a danger to themselves or others.

Now, at the same time, that very "tracking system", once it comes into place, will likely make the Patriot Act look like child's play. That (future) system will likely provide more adequate protection, but at what cost? How do you really spell "Big Brother Is Watching YOU" ???? Yes, there will be built-in protections, but it will be a system that is ripe for abuse by people with enough power to influence who is flagged and for what reasons, and then what will be done with them...........

So, I've never thought of myself as a prophet, but I am predicting that the current administration will begin crafting some new policy, maybe even a new agency to begin trying to develop a "system or program" for tracking and "helping" those with mental illnesses that pose a significant threat to themselves and others. Embedded in this will be tougher gun control laws that restrict/limit people with mental illnesses that make them "unstable."

If it truly brings help to our underserved population who truly do need help, this could be a good thing. At the same time, the very existence of such a "tracking system" is a danger for potential abuse by those in power, when those in power have the ability to "define" what mental illness is......
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    That would certainly be the trump card for a fascist regime.

Think and do like we say, or we'll put you away.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    ....At the same time, the very existence of such a "tracking system" is a danger for potential abuse by those in power, when those in power have the ability to "define" what mental illness is......
    Mental illness could be defined as anything that doesn't agree with those in power (i.e. King Obummer)
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

The Soviets listed many of their dissidents a "mentally ill"
    1)If you disagreed with them you must be crazy
    2)If you were crazy you were discredited
    3)The state was then responsible to confine and restrict you for your own and society's protection

VIP Member
    While it does sound like a good idea like you I see too many ways such a system may be misused.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Just had a conversation about this yesterday. Who will decide what normal behavior is and with the digital tracking of all medical records, if one ever took any meds for anxiety or calming, it can be traced. That is the database they need to refuse gun ownership.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    While it does sound like a good idea like you I see too many ways such a system may be misused.
    Years ago I read that just about everyone will test as having some signs or traits of mental issues. No, there is no possibility for abuse here.

I'm sure if something like this is ever implemented, the DHS and all of it's minions will be given the responsibility of determining who is mentally ill or unstable. Gee, with the IRS in charge of our medical records and the DHS handling everything else, what's there to worry about? Everything will be UNDER CONTROL!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    If it truly brings help to our underserved population who truly do need help, this could be a good thing. At the same time, the very existence of such a "tracking system" is a danger for potential abuse by those in power, when those in power have theld ability to "define" what mental illness is......
    You're right, it could be a good thing. It could also be abused. The trick, I think, is to aggressively help the good parts and to resist the bad parts. It'd suck if 'resisting the bad' ended up 'resisting the good'. Such efforts might actually be (mostly) due to a lack of imagination; the efforts need to be herded by those who've put some wisdom into their action plan.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    You're right, it could be a good thing. It could also be abused. The trick, I think, is to aggressively help the good parts and to resist the bad parts. It'd suck if 'resisting the bad' ended up 'resisting the good'. Such efforts might actually be (mostly) due to a lack of imagination; the efforts need to be herded by those who've put some wisdom into their action plan.
    It would suck even more if your resisting the bad ended up with you being branded mentally unfit and sent to the reeducation camp/mental hospital/death camp - pick one.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Me: "hello sir, i would like to purchase this here nice revolver, its got a cool light on it too"
    Store clerk: "Certainly sir, please fill out this form and ill run the background check"
    Computer: "beep boop beep beep beep"
    Store clerk: "Im sorry sir, but you have been declined, it says here that two years ago your mother died in a hospital accident, that you recently quit your job at McDonalds and that your girlfriend has ran off with your pool boy, any one of these and many more flag you as being unsuitable for firearms ownership"
    Me: "huh?"
    Store clerk "Sir, I suggest you leave, the Police have been notified that you are trying to purchase a weapon and are enroute to "help" you to the nearest mental institution.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    They have too much power, and too much information about us NOW.

You would have better luck trying to sell me that $3K+ Glock than to get me to agree to give them MORE information and MORE power, period. If it were up to me I'd strip the Federal Government back into their Constitutional chains, which makes any scheme like this completely moot!
    blitzburgh likes this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    It would suck even more if your resisting the bad ended up with you being branded mentally unfit and sent to the reeducation camp/mental hospital/death camp - pick one.
    Yes, that would suck even more. It does strike me as an unlikely outcome of any efforts designed to actually help the mentally ill.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Quote Originally Posted by ZOMBIEvs42 View Post
    Me: "hello sir, i would like to purchase this here nice revolver, its got a cool light on it too"
    Store clerk: "Certainly sir, please fill out this form and ill run the background check"
    Computer: "beep boop beep beep beep"
    Store clerk: "Im sorry sir, but you have been declined, it says here that two years ago your mother died in a hospital accident, that you recently quit your job at McDonalds and that your girlfriend has ran off with your pool boy, any one of these and many more flag you as being unsuitable for firearms ownership"
    Me: "huh?"
    Store clerk "Sir, I suggest you leave, the Police have been notified that you are trying to purchase a weapon and are enroute to "help" you to the nearest mental institution.
    That's totally unrealistic.

McDonald's doesn't pay enough for him to hire a pool boy.
    wmhawth and ZOMBIEvs42 like this.
    British by birth. American by choice.

The real problem is that the current safeguards aren't being used - this guy already had a violent past, but was still on the streets. Once again we come to enforce the laws already on the books.
    Last edited by nedrgr21; September 18th, 2013 at 09:07 PM.
    Rock and Glock and wmhawth like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links