Police: Boy, 14, fatally shot after egging SUV

This is a discussion on Police: Boy, 14, fatally shot after egging SUV within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.dispatch.com/news-story.p...203-B1-00.html There is the Columbus Dispatch's write up on it (yes they are an extremely anti-gun paper.) Although it does provide a bit more detail ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Police: Boy, 14, fatally shot after egging SUV

http://www.dispatch.com/news-story.p...203-B1-00.html

There is the Columbus Dispatch's write up on it (yes they are an extremely anti-gun paper.) Although it does provide a bit more detail about what happened. This is certainly not the best part of town either.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    "You cannot blame the parents for this. The kids were probably good kids. I used to do stupid stuff and i'm sure you did too... it part of being a kid "

I disagree with you on all points. You CAN blame the parents (not for the shooting, of course). Good kids don't egg cars. I wasn't a saint, but I didn't go around commiting vandalism, which is what this is- the finish on a nice car can be ruined. Had I done such a thing, my father would have made me wish I was shot. I would at least be less painful, and over with quick. I here the same arequment that the taggers, who deface property, are just good kids. BS! I of course do not believe that egging was a sufficient reason for a shooting- the car can be repaired or replaced. I hope that it wasn't a CCW holder, and that they find the guy and put him under the jail. But I also won't defend the kid.

Too bad the kid didn't get the chance to learn the lessons you learned, Squawker. You might have had all the egg-throwing beaten out of you as a kid, but it sure took its toll on your compassion and empathy.

Ron
    Come on now folks. Taking a kids life because your car got hit with eggs! Good kid, bad kid, good parents, bad parents. What difference does any of that make in terms of the blatant cruelty of the shooter. No one deserves to lose their life over this kind of prank.What that person did was an outrageous act of murder. And, unfortunately, it feeds directly into the anti-gun groups arguments for banning guns. I sincerley hope that if the shooter is caught he or she is not found to have been the holder of a concealed weapon license.

Ron

Ron, I think that the fact that the vehicle was found abandoned gives us a couple of things here. First, it was almost certainly stolen, if the registered owner abandoned it, his/her face would be all over the news. I live in Columbus, and they have not said it was stolen, but they haven't given the name of a registered owner or said they made an arrest. So it wasn't even the shooters car, which makes this even more sickening.

Assuming it is a stolen car, which is what I am assuming, the shooter almost certainly didn't have a CHL, and if they do, the media has access to that info, and it will be a big manure storm here in Ohio for us CHL holders.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    Ron, I think that the fact that the vehicle was found abandoned gives us a couple of things here. First, it was almost certainly stolen, if the registered owner abandoned it, his/her face would be all over the news. I live in Columbus, and they have not said it was stolen, but they haven't given the name of a registered owner or said they made an arrest. So it wasn't even the shooters car, which makes this even more sickening.

Assuming it is a stolen car, which is what I am assuming, the shooter almost certainly didn't have a CHL, and if they do, the media has access to that info, and it will be a big manure storm here in Ohio for us CHL holders.
    Buckeye, I sure hope that you are right. If not, you can bet that it will be a big manure storm, not only in Ohio for the CHL holders, but for all of us everywhere.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I am positive that no Legal firearm carry person could perpetrate this on a 14 year old kid for tossing an egg.
    Since I've received my permit I have met many other permit holders. I gotta tell ya! There have been a few that I suspect are out there looking for trouble. You can spot them at any rifle range, any IDPA shoot, or anyplace where shooters can gather and talk. There is always 1 or 2 that seem to be a bit out of place, and seem to be by actions and speech, looking for for a reason to pull.

So just because one has a ccw permit it doesn't mean that they are the cream of the crop... They just had their hundred bucks and the perseverance to pass a class. or whatever the state may require if anything.

I would like to think differently but the real world says differently.

Tim

The police apparently have a person of interest in custody, but they seem to be keeping a pretty tight lid on this case
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Lead Moderator
    outrageous response. Hopefully the perp will not get mercy for killing someone over a egg.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Ahhh Ohio. Another beautiful story coming from the heartland. I was egged in Ohio once (two years ago coming home on my street!). It never crossed my mind to shoot the SOB. I did want to catch him and force him to wash my car, though. It would be nice sitting in my lawn chair with his parents standing next to me. However, I never caught him, so I had to wash it myself.
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

http://www.dispatch.com/news-story.php?story=231130

Aside from all the standard media type of fluff that comes along with an atricle like this, there was this piece of information.

"The Jeep is registered to a 57-year-old South Linden woman. She could not be reached yesterday, but neighbors have said someone else likely was driving the Jeep that night."

This means that the jeep was most likely stolen, or possibly borrowed by a family member. I don't think a 57 year old woman is going to chase down a 14 year old boy at 12:30 on a Saturday night down a dark alley in not the greatest part of town in order to shoot him for egging her Jeep. I could be wrong on this, and I have been wrong before, but I don't think she was the driver/shooter. I'll try to post any other news articles I find about it.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
    If you throw eggs at the wrong car/people- you could get shot.

If you slash some ones tires- you could get shot.

If you run your mouth off in an illadvised place- you could get shot.

If you break in to some ones house - you could get shot.

If you do something stupid- you could get shot.

These kids were stupid and were not raised right. They did not deserve to be shot, but such is life.

True, and the fact is, it's not necessarily concealed carry licensees that you need to be worried about if you're gonna do stupid things! The "you could get shot" applies to walking down the wrong street in the wrong neighborhood and finding gang members who don't like you!

I would wager that since the SUV was "found" later on, we are not talking about a prankster throwing eggs at the car of a CCW holder. Maybe someone a lot further down the social ladder...

Probably a "jackass" stunt gone wrong. I blame the movie industry!!

I blame video games. Damn Grand Theft Auto, it's corrupting the moral fiber of this country.

On a side note, hopefully this will illustrate that it's the intent of the PERSON and not the object. The driver was determined he was going to do harm to the boy, if he didn't have a gun, he would have had a tire iron.

Let the punishment fit the crime.

Throw eggs at a car = die a violent death. I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!!!

I'm not sure why we are concerned with whether the kid did wrong or not. Who cares? The kid probably didn't think it was any different than throwing a snowball. I've had a little experience with kids and 14 year olds are not noted for thinking these stupid things through.

The issue is some moron killed a kid for no good reason.

When you decide to carry a gun, you give up your God given right to be a jerk.

I'm betting a gangbanger or other scumbag car thief was the driver.

Poor kid just did something stupid and paid a much greater price than he should have had to.

Yep, but in todays world of violence the parents need to teach their kids that this thing is not an unrealistic consequence of deviant behavior.

When I grew up you could get into a fight at school and not worry about being shot by the "bully", that is not the case anymore.

Times have changed and behavior must change with it or you suffer the consequences. Was it the 14yr olds fault that his prank killed him? Partially. Is it unfair? Definately. Will it happen again? Definately.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links