The Swiss and our 2A

The Swiss and our 2A

This is a discussion on The Swiss and our 2A within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Gun politics in Switzerland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I wanted to put up for debate how the Swiss set up their militia army in ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: The Swiss and our 2A

The Swiss and our 2A

Gun politics in Switzerland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wanted to put up for debate how the Swiss set up their militia army in the absence of a standing army, which rings true with what our forefathers envisioned when they first wrote the second amendment.

Our founders distrusted a central government and a standing army. Instead they advocated state rights and a well armed and regulated citizen army to defend state rights and the rights of the union when necessary. I doubt they foresaw the US Army, Navy, Marines or Air Force being permanent standing armies under the rule of one all powerful commander in chief.

I am pretty sure they would be greatly displeased how difficult it is today for regular citizens to oppose a tyrannical government or to secede in the even of government oppression. That ability is generally crushed by the awesome armed forces under control of Washington and our president.

To that effect, I think that the Swiss militia model more closely reflects the intentions of our own 2A.

This is an academic debate about the true nature of the 2A. What are your thoughts?

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Our founding fathers worst nightmare, a morbidly obese central Government completely distanced from the citizenry and mistrusted by the electorate with absolutely no hope of changing things through the electoral or due process. Ditto for most State Governments. Armed resistance is impossible because our founding fathers never envisioned how technology has advanced the power of the military. We are on our way to Totalitarianism unless we end up with another monarch. The circle is complete!

Surprisingly few replies for a thread that is delving into the true nature of the second amendment and the real purpose of an armed citizenry. I guess if it's not about gun collecting or chest thumping about no infringement, the 2A just isn't as fun to talk about?

Not really. Its just the Swiss have nothing to do with our 2A. Nor do more than 9 other people here agree with your ideas of what the 2A truly means ' including SCOTUS as screwed up even as their interpretations are" and it was beat to death in the other thread.

You believe as far as I can tell that there is no individual right to keep and bear. Nothing personal but there really isnt anything to debate.
    Poorly likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    Surprisingly few replies for a thread that is delving into the true nature of the second amendment and the real purpose of an armed citizenry. I guess if it's not about gun collecting or chest thumping about no infringement, the 2A just isn't as fun to talk about?
    *thump thump*

Ow...

Anyway, yes and no. Doubtless the founders would be shocked - perhaps even awed - at the capabilities of a military they had thought would not exist. But, they'd be equally impressed at how little imposition such a force makes on the populace. Chalk it up to technology, industrialization and prosperity - the US can maintain the most powerful military in the world with the expenditure of a mere 6% of GDP.

As for secession, well, it didn't work even when there barely WAS a standing army. Who knows how it would go today, but it's entirely possible that states could appropriate enough weaponry and gain the support of enough soldiers - especially from the National Guard - to put up a fight.

What would truly horrify the founders is not what happened to the Second, but the Tenth. I'm fairly certain that they did not intend for federal expenditures to exceed 25% of GDP, or for twice as much to go to a combination of government welfare and entitlement programs as goes to national defense.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

I doubt they foresaw the US Army, Navy, Marines or Air Force being permanent standing armies under the rule of one all powerful commander in chief.
    Washington himself was General of the Army, the first army. Congress commissioned a Navy, then the Marines. Or course their was no Air Force back then.
    The principal job of the Army was to protect the borders of the U.S.

The armed citizens back then were seen as a check and balance to a large central government and from the get-go they were meant to have arms common to all, in fact it wasn't unusual for some of the citizens to be better armed than some of the soldiers were as they had hunting rifles rather than muskets, so the lame arugments of the founding fathers not knowing about the advances it weaponry its just a liberal fabrication.

It could be that few care to respond to pointless arguments by certain individuals on this board that seemingly are only here to "stir the pot", with arguments from a liberal viewpoint.
    Ghost1958, Poorly and oneshot like this.

Distinguished Member
    I've always admired the Swiss gun policies. Watched something about it on the history channel years ago, great idea but we are way to far into things for this to come into place now IMO.

From what I understand their people have guns because their people ARE the military and they train them in school. In our case, we go by the constitution and our rights.

Swiss: Gotta do guns
    USA: Wanna do guns
    Ghost1958 and DetChris like this.
    Matthew 5:44

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;.

~ Jesus ~

Like their chocolate though. And the yodeling. The stewardesses are nice too. They had that Swedish Bikini Team a few years back too.
    Now that was progress!!
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Like their chocolate though. And the yodeling. The stewardesses are nice too. They had that Swedish Bikini Team a few years back too.
    Now that was progress!!
    Chocolate is good...but can they yodel, eat chocolate and shoot at the same time??? see....hu, hu....got ya on that one

A good ol redneck USA boy can eat a bbq sandwich, spit tobacco and till with a mule and shoot a snake in the garden simultaneously ~ the Swiss ain't got nothing on us!
    Ghost1958, revldm, Poorly and 1 others like this.

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;.

~ Jesus ~

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Chocolate is good...but can they yodel, eat chocolate and shoot at the same time??? see....hu, hu....got ya on that one

A good ol redneck USA boy can eat a bbq sandwich, spit tobacco and till with a mule and shoot a snake in the garden simultaneously ~ the Swiss ain't got nothing on us!
    Im a good ole USA hillbilly redneck boy but I dropped my sandwich, swallowed my tobacco, and shot the mule in the butt by accident when the Swedish Bikini Team showed up

Distinguished Member
    Im a good ole USA hillbilly redneck boy but I dropped my sandwich, swallowed my tobacco, and shot the mule in the butt by accident when the Swedish Bikini Team showed up
    And that my friend is more proof the women are the stronger sex! We control your minds.....
    Ghost1958 likes this.

~ Jesus ~

Now that was progress!!
    I tink Sven and Oly would agree you got dem Svedes mixed up mit da Sviss.

Da Sviss got dat chocolate and der Matterhorn, da Svedes got dem blondes and da Volvos, you betcha.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

The Swiss are a good example of why gun control advocates are wrong. The government gives all young men assault rifles to keep at home, lets them keep them when they get past mandatory service age (converted to semi-auto), and their murder rate is one-half that of England.

And I'm sure the Swiss Bikini Team is also very good. Like, probably, third best.
    DetChris likes this.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

Bikinis are bikinis in any language LOL

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    what about Swiss watches and Swiss rifles. SIG 550 anyone?

the Swiss does have UBC and while private sales are allowed the seller is expected to know the buyer and keep records of the sale. the buyer is expected to eventually obtain a permit.

whats interesting is that the goverment has shown little interest in taking guns and the people have little concern of that happening. they trust the goverment and the goverment is doing a decent job in serving the country. they also have less diversity almost no immigration and a lot more $$$ per capita.

they have statesmens who serve the common good. we just have politicians who get money from the rich and votes from the poor by promising them both protection from each other.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links