2A - Black freedom and the gun control debate

This is a discussion on 2A - Black freedom and the gun control debate within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Real Title: Black freedom and the gun control debate FlCourier.com AKINYELE UMOJA GUEST COMMENTARY No Apparent Date to Article: Assume 9/19/2013 My Comments: I leave ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By ANGLICO
  • 5 Post By Sister
  • 2 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By Snub44

Thread: 2A - Black freedom and the gun control debate

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.

2A - Black freedom and the gun control debate

Real Title: Black freedom and the gun control debate
    FlCourier.com
    AKINYELE UMOJA
    GUEST COMMENTARY
    No Apparent Date to Article: Assume 9/19/2013

My Comments: I leave you all to consider this as an opportunity for uniting 2A rights movements, not as a threat, even though I think that Mr. Akinyele Umoja is a bit of a MoonBat. Ingore race issues and focus on 2A............ think about it..........

.....Gun control for Black activists must be an issue of self-determination, self-reliance and self-defense. Black people will never disarm in a political and social environment where Black life is still challenged and not valued.

The Black community must advocate for policies that take weapons out of the hands of unstable elements (e.g., checks for mental illness), but be vigilant to make sure these policies do are not utilized in a manner to weaken the capacity of our community to defend itself from White supremacists. At the same time, more solidarity and grassroots organization of Black communities is needed to gain control and socialization of unstable elements of our community.

Cooperative economic projects provide alternatives to those trapped in the drug economy. The fight for the decriminalization of drugs and quality and culturally relevant education for our youth is another pillar in the fight to bring back community integrity and solidarity and a safer community.

Akinyele Umoja is an associate professor and chair of the Department of African-American Studies at Georgia State University.

Black freedom and the gun control debate | Florida Courier
    Ghost1958 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Nice idea but I think when you cut to the chase he means disarm everyone but black activists. Forgetting race and concentrating on the 2a was a fine idea.
    I just dont think that is what this guy means
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member
    That's probably the most raciest article I've read.

Now look at this statement and I'll reverse the words black/white and see how you would feel reading it:

The segregationists continued slave-holding society’s practice of attempting to disarm WHITES. Ultimately, WHITES utilized armed self-defense to protect activist leadership and their communities from BLACK terrorist violence.

Survival, defense It was a rite of passage for rural WHITE families taught children to use arms as a means of survival; for food and for protection. WHITE female youth were trained to shoot for defense from BLACK rapists.

(this is how it originally read: The segregationists continued slave-holding society’s practice of attempting to disarm Blacks. Ultimately, Blacks utilized armed self-defense to protect activist leadership and their communities from White terrorist violence.

Survival, defense
    It was a rite of passage for rural Black families taught children to use arms as a means of survival; for food and for protection. Black female youth were trained to shoot for defense from White rapists
    .)

As being part of the HUMAN RACE, I find the article extremely offensive. (not directed to the OP writer that posted the article)
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    That's probably the most raciest article I've read.

Now look at this statement and I'll reverse the words black/white and see how you would feel reading it:

The segregationists continued slave-holding society’s practice of attempting to disarm WHITES. Ultimately, WHITES utilized armed self-defense to protect activist leadership and their communities from BLACK terrorist violence.

Survival, defense It was a rite of passage for rural WHITE families taught children to use arms as a means of survival; for food and for protection. WHITE female youth were trained to shoot for defense from BLACK rapists.

(this is how it originally read: The segregationists continued slave-holding society’s practice of attempting to disarm Blacks. Ultimately, Blacks utilized armed self-defense to protect activist leadership and their communities from White terrorist violence.

Survival, defense
    It was a rite of passage for rural Black families taught children to use arms as a means of survival; for food and for protection. Black female youth were trained to shoot for defense from White rapists
    .)

As being part of the HUMAN RACE, I find the article extremely offensive. (not directed to the OP writer that posted the article)

You win yet another Kupi Doll!

The growth of White supremacist and right-wing paramilitary formations and militias since the 2008 election of Barack Obama and the fatal shooting of Trayvon Martin have done nothing to decrease the fear of White violence in the Black community.
    The majority of violence in black communities is black-on-black violence, not white-on-black. I admittedly have no statistics to back this up, but I'd be willing to bet a lot more blacks have been killed by other blacks than by whites (gang violence, etc.).
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    I have read some of his other “writings” and he makes the KKK and the Aryan Brotherhood look like moderates.
    ANGLICO and Sister like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I'm not familiar with this gentleman or any of his other writings, but I'm finding myself scratching my head after reading this particular one.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

...what's this stuff doing on DC???
    DurrtyBoy likes this.

The guy doesn't call it like it is and like other agenda riddled articles it is filled with hyperbole, rhetoric, and lacks supporting statistics of any tangible value.

He wants black communities to be armed to defend themselves from white supremacist. Just express the desire to be legally armed.

When I lived in Baltimore we had 300 murders a year in the city on average. I would wager anything- zero of those crimes were white supremacist invading Baltimore city to murder innocent black women and children.

What is culturally relevant education? I am an aeronautical engineer- what cultural heritage should I have for this to be a culturally relevant education?

What cultural heritage should an auto mechanic or insurance salesman have?

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Everyone who is legally eligible and mentally stable has the right to own a firearm. Doesn't matter what their political, cultural or personal beliefs might be.

So regardless of the author's justification of for the ownership of a firearm I agree with his position of the right to own one.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    I think we should give them all the arms and ammo they want,let them kill each other. White America is severly Armed,hope they remember that!!.

He's just as much a pinhead as Guth from KU. White supremacists are a negligible threat to blacks compared to blacks themselves - wrt armed violence, black leaders like Sharpton/Jackson/etc, blaming current problems on ancient history, and the broken family epidemic in their culture.

Oh yeah, IBTL.

Links